Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

Really in a bad mood ever since yesterday 6 p.m.! :angry:

Yeah - I hear you. 'Mosaic Armaggedon' night I guess. It would have been better if we'd been able to do something about it but totally beyond control. Very sorry for the hassle all of this mess has created for Mosaic. Hope things stabilise soon.

It really is incredible , this has more than decimated Mosaic Select offerings, I had the Patton on my wish list but didn't react quickly enough - I console myself that I have a fair bit of it on CD and LP. I can't help feeling that the longer term consequences for Mosaic may be even worse. I don't want to talk up disaster but clearly a very different view of purchasing decision timing is called for.

Edited by Clunky

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of the Zeitlin too. Any reports on that from those who have it?

As for the Donaldson and the Washington sets, the Donaldson is *really* excellent--one of my favorites--and losing that one is a major tragedy. I have the Washington because I'm something of a Dinah fan and a completist, but were I beginning an exploration of her music, it would rank near the bottom in terms of material. The 50s Emarcy things represented her best, I think.

This just sucks. I bet Scott and Michael are *really* furious about it.

greg mo

Gee, I hate all this news - I immediately sent them a mail asking them to hold back some of those for me, but got no reply so far (probably they were flooded with orders)... I guess that's rather a bad sign, but I'd hate missing the Pacific Trio and the Shank/Coop!

CD Connection appeared to have both in stock last night when I picked up the Gordon. I bought the Freddie Slack for my Dad last Christmas. Next time I'm up in New Hampshire, might be time to pull a spot check and make sure he's taking proper care of it ....or it could be time to stage a little late nite intervention and rescue the poor thing! :cool:

Cat_burglar.gif

Gee, I hate all this news - I immediately sent them a mail asking them to hold back some of those for me, but got no reply so far (probably they were flooded with orders)... I guess that's rather a bad sign, but I'd hate missing the Pacific Trio and the Shank/Coop!

I tried a mail re: holding back the Donaldson. I did get a short response from them last night saying they are 'sold out'. I'll bet they are fuming over this.

No mail here :(

Gee, I really really really am pissed about this!

Remember there's a 6-hour time difference between Mosaic and Switzerland, and their office hours are 9-5 Eastern Daylight Time or 15:00-23:00 Central European Summer Time.

I tried a mail re: holding back the Donaldson. I did get a short response from them last night saying they are 'sold out'. I'll bet they are fuming over this.

No mail here :(

Gee, I really really really am pissed about this!

Remember there's a 6-hour time difference between Mosaic and Switzerland, and their office hours are 9-5 Eastern Daylight Time or 15:00-23:00 Central European Summer Time.

Yeah, I know, but I wrote them ten minutes after they sent out their mail and Bob did get a reply...

Anyway, I ordered the Pacific and Shank/Cooper sets via Amazon Marketplace (as long as I don't have them I don't trust in getting them though...)

And just to make that clear: I'm not at all pissed *at* Mosaic, but *by* this whole situation! I'm sure it hit them much worse than me! Still I've been angry since last evening... there ought to be a law against such actions!

There must have been celebrations in some Catalunyan record labels headquarters and pressing plants yesterday (with lots of bottles Freyssinet sparkling wines uncorked) after news of the Mosaic misadventure got through.

I am sure it will take little time before we see some of the Mosaic sets/Selects make reappearances on those labels!

I'm not sure about the Pullen, from what I've heard it's not at the top of my list.

You must be listening to the wrong people.

Yeah well I checked the Pullen mosaic select on amazon last night.....they had 2 used ones for 134.00 and they both sold.......now they have 1 new one this morning for $134.00. Somebody wanted that real bad.

Keep an eye out for used copies of the four original Blue Note CDs--the Select doesn't have any additional tracks.

I just received a shipping notice from Mosaic for the Gordon Select. I must have nabbed one of the last ones in existence (or at least in Mosaic's warehouse). Jeff was holding a set for me, and I have emailed him to take it off hold. Thanks for your kindness, Jeff. I'm sure there will be an eager buyer for the set. It's great to be part of the Organissimo family. We may squabble at times, but we know how to stand together when it counts!

Edited by John Tapscott

That's so 20th century ...

With current technical means, it would easily be possible to offer lossless downloads (even in higher resolution that CDs), together with high quality downloads of artwork that could be more voluminous and include high quality scans of pictures, because there are no booklet limitations any more.

Those "destroyed" Selects will continue to be distributed worldwide, but as illegal downloads.

With current technical means, it would easily be possible to offer lossless downloads (even in higher resolution that CDs), together with high quality downloads of artwork that could be more voluminous and include high quality scans of pictures, because there are no booklet limitations any more.

Those "destroyed" Selects will continue to be distributed worldwide, but as illegal downloads.

Why not ask Mosaic why they aren't going that route? Criticizing them here is easy, but there may be reasons why they don't offer lossless downloads etc. - or CD-Rs, for that matter.

I just received a shipping notice from Mosaic for the Gordon Select. I must have nabbed one of the last ones in existence (or at least in Mosaic's warehouse). Jeff was holding a set for me, and I have emailed him to take it off hold. Thanks for your kindness, Jeff. I'm sure there will be an eager buyer for the set. It's great to be part of the Organissimo family. We may squabble at times, but we know how to stand together when it counts!

I received a shipping notice for the Gordon Select, also, even though I was told by someone at Mosaic AFTER I placed my order that it had been listed on the web site in error, and that I would be receiving notice that it was in fact unavailable. :wacko:

In the interim, I ordered another copy from Amazon Marketplace, and if I receive both, I'll have a copy available for someone here. I'll post in this thread if that comes to pass (no PMs until then, please :rolleyes:).

Edited by Ron S

MOSAIC SELECT AVAILABILITY ALERT

Several of the now-OOP Selects appear to be available at a reasonable price ($43.71 + $5.60 shipping) on this site:

http://www.keenzo.com/

Search for "Mosaic Select," and also for some individual artists (e.g., Dexter Gordon) who don't appear in the "Mosaic Select" search results, for some reason.

As always, carpe diem. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The Gordon Select

Edited by Ron S

I received a shipping notice for the Gordon Select, also, even though I was told by someone at Mosaic AFTER I placed my order that it had been listed on the web site in error, and that I would be receiving notice that it was in fact unavailable. :wacko:

In the interim, I ordered another copy from Amazon Marketplace, and if I receive both, I'll have a copy available for someone here. I'll post in this thread if that comes to pass (no PMs until then, please :rolleyes:).

Obviously, they found a few. Plus there seems to be a bit of confusion in the Mosaic ranks these days. I wonder who's in charge over there? I'm not being hard on them, just making an observation. They're feeling the pinch like everyone else. In fact, it's amazing to me that they're still issuing new sets.

If you want to see what's currently possible along these lines, go to Pristine Classical. They offer lossless FLAC downloads in either 16 bit (CD quality), 16 bit ambient stereo or 24 bit (studio quality) formats along with dowloadable artwork, track listings and commentaries. I've purchased a half a dozen of their recordings in 16 bit FLAC and they are very nice.

Up over and out.

MOSAIC SELECT AVAILABILITY ALERT

Several of the now-OOP Selects appear to be available at a reasonable price ($43.71 + $5.60 shipping) on this site:

http://www.keenzo.com/

Search for "Mosaic Select," and also for some individual artists (e.g., Dexter Gordon) who don't appear in the "Mosaic Select" search results, for some reason.

As always, carpe diem. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The Gordon Select

Thanks for the tip, I ordered the Bob Brookmeyer set. :tup:cool: It still shows "low stock" on the web site so I'm assuming one will be on its way. At $49.24 shipped, it's still a slightly better deal than I would have gotten from Mosaic if they were still able to sell it. Now I just have to cancel my "backordered" Brookmeyer from DeepDiscount.com which I'm guessing probably wouldn't ever materialize.

I'm wondering if I should grab that Pacific Jazz piano trios set.

Stop wondering and GET IT. Great set.

I'm tempted but I'm not a real big trios guy (with some exceptions) and CD money is getting tight for me so I decided to forgo it. The Pacific Jazz piano trios set kind of fell into the "nice to have" vs. the "I really want it" category.

Why not ask Mosaic why they aren't going that route? Criticizing them here is easy, but there may be reasons why they don't offer lossless downloads etc. - or CD-Rs, for that matter.

A shame that they don't follow the Joe Harley (Music Matters) approach over at Hoffman and drop by this place from time to time to field some questions. I should think that that would be something they would want to do rather than be peppered with a stream of e-mails. I'm sure some will disagree.

CD Connection appeared to have both in stock last night when I picked up the Gordon. I bought the Freddie Slack for my Dad last Christmas. Next time I'm up in New Hampshire, might be time to pull a spot check and make sure he's taking proper care of it ....or it could be time to stage a little late nite intervention and rescue the poor thing! :cool:

Cat_burglar.gif

"Rescue"??? Comrade, please--the term is LIBERATE. Did you not retain any of your lessons at that posh northern Virginia re-education camp to which I had you sent???