Crosby/Sinatra/Lee/Christy boxes....

tranemonk

Bing not a jazz singer? What?

Bing was a jazz singer before the others you list, and before so many others.

I consider these all to be jazz singers. They did pop as well. So did so many jazz players. In the earlier decades the boundaries were less firm and unscalable. It's really an eighties and nineties thing that jazz is so segrated as a genre. . . .

I'm not a fan of Sinatra, for many reasons. I love Peggy and June. I'm a red-blooded American guy, why wouldn't I?

But ask me "Who's your favorite jazz signer?" And I might say Pops, or Jackson (Teagarden), or Fats, or Billie or Carmen or Betty.

But the real answer may be Ray Nance.

the real jazz Bing is generally, to me, prior to 1940 -

and like before I want to bring up Doris Day, who in the 1950s made a series of incredible recordings on Columbia with some of the most beautiful pop singing I have ever heard - pure and clear, with a version of I'm Confessin' which is as bluesy as anything June Christy ever did and also just as much jazz.

Edited by AllenLowe

Lon is a redneck, Lon is a redneck, Lon is a... :rofl:

I like Lee and Christy and Sinatra... and so many other singers, from Mose Allison and Blossom Dearie, from Billie Holiday and Carmen McRae, to Mildred Bailey and Hoagy Carmichael (is he jazz? I don't mind... but I look forward to digging into the 10CD Avid box I recently got...)

Guess I ought to check out a Crosby set, but if it's so large and only includes that Buddy Cole trio (I think I've heard him but can't say I'm familiar), it might indeed be too much of a good thing.

actually I HATE singers from a personal standpoint - most difficult group of people I ever met (ask me someday about my experiences booking a now-sorta-famous female singer in NYC in the 1970s - she still owes me about $25) - and most of 'em can't sing in tune, and personally I think that there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing scat singing -

as Al Haig once told me contemptuously, "they ALL want to be actresses."

Edited by AllenLowe

actually I HATE singers from a personal standpoint - most difficult group of people I ever met (ask me someday about my experiences booking a now-sorta-famous female singer in NYC in the 1970s - she still owes me about $25) - and most of 'em can't sing in tune, and personally I think that there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing scat singing -

as Al Haig once told me contemptuously, "they ALL want to be actresses."

Al Haig really deserves a Mosaic box--a really good and interesting pianist.

greg mo

For my money, Jo Stafford made a terrific jazz vocal album that features Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges, Don Fagerquist with Johnny Mandel arrangements. All the cuts make the cut, in particular "Midnight Sun" and "I Didn't Know About You". If you're not familiar with it, it's no surprise that Pres mentioned her as a favorite in a recorded interview. Titled "Jo + Jazz":

http://www.amazon.com/Jo-Jazz-Stafford/dp/B0000010KH

For my money, Jo Stafford made a terrific jazz vocal album that features Ben Webster, Johnny Hodges, Don Fagerquist with Johnny Mandel arrangements. All the cuts make the cut, in particular "Midnight Sun" and "I Didn't Know About You". If you're not familiar with it, it's no surprise that Pres mentioned her as a favorite in a recorded interview. Titled "Jo + Jazz":

http://www.amazon.com/Jo-Jazz-Stafford/dp/B0000010KH

Yup, fine album! Got the UK version of it (on Corinthian, bought it via the Dutton Vocalion website - seems to be gone there, it was low stock when I bought it).