Threadgill and Air

JETman

This just dawned on me - don't think it has been mentioned. Air's first recording for Novus was Open Air Suit. The notes say "One piece out of the suit was omitted for recording purposes due to the fact that an lp can only contain so much music. However, Trummps Room 201 Bed 3 will be forthcoming on our next future recording." Might it have been recorded at the time?

His wording suggests it wasn't recorded, but there is always hope.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going thru some boxes of old stuff today and found a letter from John Litweiler postmarked December 4, 1972 (I was living in Madison at the time). The note ends with "Koester will record H. Threadgill, w. Fred Hopkins, McCall & Claudine Myers, piano. sometime this month".

The date never happened, but it still sounds dandy to me. "Amina Air" seems like a nice title.

By the time Air first recorded the trio had been playing together (emphasis on together) for a few years, first at the U. of Chicago then IIRC weekly at the Jazz Showcase on Rush St. The 1st 2 Air LPs were done for a Japanese label and issued in the US on India Navigation. The albums are "Air Song" and "Air Raid" and I think those 2 are as wonderful as "Air Time."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Really looking forward to this one--going to be quite an autumn/winter if the Sam Rivers and Ellington sets materialize as well.

is the Ellington on the cards for this year ?

They hope to release it in time for Christmas this year. It will be an 11CD-set.

Wow, 11? For some reason I thought it was going to be 10. Either way, ho ho ho... :party: anybody heard any updates about the Rivers set? At one time November was out there as a possible date.

I hope to have the money for the Treadgill. Nothing would make me happier than to get it early in the run.

I was like that with the Eldridge too. Still not much talk about that one, which is too bad. The Eldridge set KILLS!

Jsngry, I'm with ya--I actually had the Eldridge on my "dream-Mosaic" wishlist before it ever materialized (I think I remember starting a thread about my hopes for such a project back on the old BNBB). Recently listened to the single-disc Verve sampler drawn from the same period, and it's made me want to go back and revisit the entire Mosaic.