Threadgill and Air

JETman

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone waiting to see reactions to the box, buy the About Times and decide on the Mosaic as a result. The ATs and more are wonderful.

Chuck's right these are fine releases . I have the LPs. Sound quality is excellent. Music is excellent. These will nicely complement the contents of the Mosaic box.

I'm a longtime Threadgill fan who never manged to hear New Air with Andrew Cyrille until recently. Snatched a live radio broadcast of Rankweil 3/19/86 (Threadgill, Fred Hpkins & Cyrille) off of dime a dozen and just listened to it yesterday. Wow!!! A side of Threadgill I'd always wanted to hear! Extended soloing. More dense, driving and rythmic than Air. Great stuff. Would love to hear Hofheim from a few days earlier.

There's a good article on Threadgill in the November issue of The Wire!

Just bought and read it yesterday - I guess I'll have to pre-order this box now, sounds really like a ton of great music!

I only have a very sketchy knowledge of Threadgill so far: Nessa Air, one of the Columbias, a bunch of boots... and recently got the two ATR CDs, silly I skipped the vinyl - will that one come out on CD as well? I think it says so on the website, but are there any news about that?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to make sense of what will be on the Threadgill Mosaic, and if I'm reading the Mosaic website correctly, these are the correct album/sessions for the set:

Live at Montreux 1978

Open Air Suite

Air Lore

X-75 vol. 1

X-75 vol. 2 (never released)

You Know The Number

Easily Slip Into Another World

Rag, Bush and All

Carry The Day

Makin' A Move

Where's Your Cup

Is this what everyone else is thinking?

I'm trying to make sense of what will be on the Threadgill Mosaic, and if I'm reading the Mosaic website correctly, these are the correct album/sessions for the set:

Live at Montreux 1978

Open Air Suite

Air Lore

X-75 vol. 1

X-75 vol. 2 (never released)

You Know The Number

Easily Slip Into Another World

Rag, Bush and All

Carry The Day

Makin' A Move

Where's Your Cup

Is this what everyone else is thinking?

Yep, that's what I'm thinking anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

ditto the About Times. "When Was That" was the first record I played on the air here at Blue Lake back in 1983. It was originally known as "Fanfare and Celebration," which it is. Every March 1st for the last 26 years I've played "When Was That" in celebration of playing "When Was That" on the radio for the first time March 1, 1983. Need to replace my lp copy, though: it's about turned white. Can't have that!

ditto the About Times. "When Was That" was the first record I played on the air here at Blue Lake back in 1983. It was originally known as "Fanfare and Celebration," which it is. Every March 1st for the last 26 years I've played "When Was That" in celebration of playing "When Was That" on the radio for the first time March 1, 1983. Need to replace my lp copy, though: it's about turned white. Can't have that!

Two ATR Threadgill albums, When Was That? and Pass the Bucket, are available on both LP and CD. I recently got the CDs from Jazz Loft.

Edited by J.A.W.

Two ATR Threadgill albums, When Was That? and Pass the Bucket, are available on both LP and CD. I recently got the CDs from Jazz Loft.

Both are also available from iTunes. When Was That for $11.99 and Pass The Bucket for only $5.94.

Has anyone got any inside info on when the new Threadgill boxset will actually be issued. It's 'early 2010' now! :)

Although it doesn't say it on the website, this has been pushed to at least mid-2010 because Mosaic has yet to finalize all the licensing agreements.

Frankly, I'm surprised Mosaic would go so far as to announce a set if they hadn't secured all the rights. Isn't that the very first thing you'd do? Your customer base is already a little gnarly about catalog availability so why run the risk of further antagonizing it by having to pull the plug on a much anticipated release? I'm not at all impugning your credibility, but can you tell us where you got this information? Thanks.

Has anyone got any inside info on when the new Threadgill boxset will actually be issued. It's 'early 2010' now! :)

Although it doesn't say it on the website, this has been pushed to at least mid-2010 because Mosaic has yet to finalize all the licensing agreements.

Frankly, I'm surprised Mosaic would go so far as to announce a set if they hadn't secured all the rights. Isn't that the very first thing you'd do? Your customer base is already a little gnarly about catalog availability so why run the risk of further antagonizing it by having to pull the plug on a much anticipated release? I'm not at all impugning your credibility, but can you tell us where you got this information? Thanks.

I live in NY, and have been a customer for 17 years. I call them frequently for info, or just to shoot the you know what. Frankly, I had the same reaction as you did at first. I asked why it was announced on the site, and was told that although they are relatively certain they will obtain necessary licensing, the process takes much longer than any of us non-business types here might think.

Does this work for you?

I live in NY, and have been a customer for 17 years. I call them frequently for info, or just to shoot the you know what. Frankly, I had the same reaction as you did at first. I asked why it was announced on the site, and was told that although they are relatively certain they will obtain necessary licensing, the process takes much longer than any of us non-business types here might think.

Does this work for you?

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you might have taken my question the wrong way. That was certainly not my intent.

Does this work for you?

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you might have taken my question the wrong way. That was certainly not my intent.

No problem! I wouldn't have posted that information without having gotten it directly from the source. Keeping websites up to date is not a high priority in tough economic times. That being said, Mosaic does a better than average job.

I have a feeling that we'll see just a handful of reissues from Mosaic over the next couple of years.

• 1 month later...

I sent a note to Mosaic asking for the latest on the Henry Threadgill box. Here's their response:

We are waiting for approvals and our best guess at the moment would be

mid-year.

Regards,

Mosaic Records

I guess that's good news, although the word approvals could be subject to multiple interpretations.

This just dawned on me - don't think it has been mentioned. Air's first recording for Novus was Open Air Suit. The notes say "One piece out of the suit was omitted for recording purposes due to the fact that an lp can only contain so much music. However, Trummps Room 201 Bed 3 will be forthcoming on our next future recording." Might it have been recorded at the time?