albums with burnouts

CJ Shearn

I've been in a real burnout mood and love things like Tain's "Mr. JJ" on "Detained", the stuff on "Black Codes", Branford's "Dark Keys", "Dewey Baby" off of "The Beautyful Ones Aren't yet Born" Kenny Garrett's "Triology" and "Standard of Language", the title track of "Beyond the Wall" definite burnout, Chris Potter's "Lift" what are some other records I may have missed in the past decade, or the 90's with more serious burnout stuff?

Edited by CJ Shearn

from the Bad Plus Do the Math blog: “Burn out” was a favorite style of the Young Lions: fast, aggressive, modal, and dominated by a lot of piano and drum interaction (see “Chambers of Tain” on Black Codes). A lot of post-Coltrane 70’s jazz is also aggressive and modal, but one of the ways the Wynton or Branford Marsalis “burn out” music was distinctive was how modality was pushed chromatically to the point of atonality. Arguably the clearest predecessor to that “atonal modal” fast swing is Liebman and Beirach, first with Frank Tusa and Jeff Williams in Lookout Farm."

Now, certainly there are examples of other forms of "burn out" Bird on "Koko", Johnny Griffin "The Way you Look Tonight", but what's defined above is more of what I'm after at the moment.

Arguably the clearest predecessor to that “atonal modal” fast swing is Liebman and Beirach, first with Frank Tusa and Jeff Williams in Lookout Farm."

Surely this is not a serious statement...

Coltrane Quartet, 1965, Half Note recordings, particularly "Creation" = the Alpha & the Omega of what is described above.

Those tapes were circulating among players long before they went "public".

yeah Jim, that's what I was thinking, of the Trane Half Note stuff. I guess the term burnout would apply to something that was new for that generation of players, but something that had been around. Though cats like Branford, Kenny Garrett, Tain were filtering it through their own lens.

yeah Jim, that's what I was thinking, of the Trane Half Note stuff. I guess the term burnout would apply to something that was new for that generation of players, but something that had been around. Though cats like Branford, Kenny Garrett, Tain were filtering it through their own lens.

Borrowed (kindest term I can dredge up) lenses. :lol:

Matthew 25:14-30 (New International Version)

The Parable of the Talents

14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents[a] of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.

19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'

21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'

23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'

26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'