New York Art Quartet

jeffcrom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Got a letter last week from Triple Point Records:

"...Next on the horizon is a 5-LP boxed edition of hitherto unreleased 1964-65 recordings

by the New York Art Quartet (John Tchicai, Roswell Rudd, Milford Graves, etc.)

...We have optimized four hours of music by the band, from six separate episodes.

This quantity of music more than doubles the published output by this seminal band and,

in our humble opinion, greatly extends the outfit's already formidable reputation as free jazz pioneers.

Call It Art will be a 5-LP set with a 156-page hardcover book, housed in a custom wooden box.

The project aims to be definitive: rare and unpublished photos, a comprehensive history of the band,

and of course superlative audio quality...

...We are pleased to report that, based on investments to date, we have been able

to handsomely compensate in advance nearly all of the 11 performers..."

The letter also states a release date of late this summer,

but if their history is any indication,

I'd say that it'd be 2013 - if we're lucky.

Anyway, I expect to receive future updates.

®ø∂

Good lord!

If their Cecil Taylor LP is any indication, what will this cost, $500? Kind of a pity that most fans won't be able to enjoy this music. I don't want to jump to conclusions but really, there's no way this will be remotely affordable. Kinda wish they'd save the music for a company regular folks can actually patronize...

Well, I know what you mean...the letter mentions some info

concerning some financial backing plans, ideas, etc. so I'm

hoping for a bit of wiggle-room on price without, yes, really knowing.

I do remember the troubles surrounding the Taylor/Oxley and

the inordinately looong time it took for that to come out and

this is where my concerns about release date stem. Anyway,

if I hear about a price, I'll try to mention it as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a letter last week from Triple Point Records:

"...Next on the horizon is a 5-LP boxed edition of hitherto unreleased 1964-65 recordings

by the New York Art Quartet (John Tchicai, Roswell Rudd, Milford Graves, etc

This is exciting news. The ensemble with Milford Graves in it features some of his finest work, and the whole group is at the top of their game. I love this period of Roswell's work.

No doubt the set will be amazing but......

In January I received a solicitation letter looking for "shareholders". A single "share" is $5000 with a promised return of $6000. The projected expenses were over $90,000.

Good luck to all involved; musicians, producers, shareholders, customers.

I do understand the difficulty in a project like this but I just don't..........................

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I'll stop belaboring the point after this but I get the Cecil LP; it's a one of a kind work of art, take it or leave it and be happy with the other 5 dozen CT albums on the market What I don't get is releasing important historical music that would appeal to a relatively broad base in this fashion. I'm sure it will be a beautiful package and I bet they'll make that money back but they won't accomplish much else than that.

• 6 months later...

LP only? :shrug[1]:

The Cecil Taylor 2xLP they put out cost $110, so keep that in mind, too ...

That's been on my mind all along.

Though I'm a big CT fan I still passed on that double LP ($110 plus shipping) 80 mins from over 10hrs of recordings during their VV residency - I'm certain this will be released in the future as a more complete CD set - will wait for that

The NYA4 sounds fantastic but the price when you compare it the recent ICP box I recently purchased is over the top (52 CDs/DVDs vs 5 LP's)

It would have been much better to release the set on CD (probably 3) thus reducing it's exclusivity - they would have shifted a lot more units this way

I've got one. I feel good about it.

Let's just compare this with the ICP set. You get over fifty CDs of music including some clinkers, a couple of CDs that were duplicated and one that was supposed to be included and is missing. Then there are the badly done needle-drops. The book has cool pictures but there is no essay. It's shockingly diffuse and hard to handle as a "piece." I love the ICP and their music but am disappointed in how this set was executed. It should have been split into three or four smaller-scale sets.

The NYAQ set is cheaper by a little, has an incredible hardbound book with deep essays and reproductions of archival material. It's housed in a sturdy wooden box and has five LPs that are pressed wonderfully and exacting audio restoration has been done (the WBAI set is a little crumbly but manageable). It's focused and clear, and really gives one a picture of one ensemble at an extraordinarily fertile point in the music's history. They also pressed nearly 700 copies so it'll be around while you decide. The Cecil is still in print, too, fwiw.

I've got one. I feel good about it.

Let's just compare this with the ICP set. You get over fifty CDs of music including some clinkers, a couple of CDs that were duplicated and one that was supposed to be included and is missing. Then there are the badly done needle-drops. The book has cool pictures but there is no essay. It's shockingly diffuse and hard to handle as a "piece." I love the ICP and their music but am disappointed in how this set was executed. It should have been split into three or four smaller-scale sets.

The NYAQ set is cheaper by a little, has an incredible hardbound book with deep essays and reproductions of archival material. It's housed in a sturdy wooden box and has five LPs that are pressed wonderfully and exacting audio restoration has been done (the WBAI set is a little crumbly but manageable). It's focused and clear, and really gives one a picture of one ensemble at an extraordinarily fertile point in the music's history. They also pressed nearly 700 copies so it'll be around while you decide. The Cecil is still in print, too, fwiw.

No turntable.