Jimmy Jones

epistrophy007

Wonderful pianist who had, aside from his other talents, a rare understanding of what made Ellington an "orchestral" piano player.

There's some fine Jones to be heard on the Mosaic HRS box set, though, if you can;t track down a copy, selections also appear (in lesser fidelity) on Riverside's two volumes of GIANTS OF SMALL BAND SWING.

Jones recorded a handful of trio sides with Joe Benjamin and Roy Haynes in the mid-50's. I have them on a CD, paired with a George Wallington "European" trio of similar vintage. Not sure of the original circumstances of their recording (Vogue?), but excellent stuff.

Perhaps my favorite Jones' sideman appearances are for Verve: on BEN WEBSTER AND ASSOCIATES, and Harry Edison's SWINGER and MR. SWING (assembled on a Verve Elite Edition 2fer "back" in the 90s.)

PS -- according to AMG, the HRS recordings are also compiled on the CLASSICS CD Chuck mentioned, along with some rare titles originally waxed for the Wax label. Looks like a good 'un.

A favorite musician. Much too discreet.

There are so many great albums where he plays an important part.

I have a special regard for his contributions to some of the best Sonny Stitt recordings: 'New York Jazz', 'A Little Bit of Stitt', 'Stittsville', among others, not to mention the albums with Sarah Vaughan (the sides with Clifford Brown and 'Swingin' Easy' ...)

Joe wrote:

Jones recorded a handful of trio sides with Joe Benjamin and Roy Haynes in the mid-50's. I have them on a CD, paired with a George Wallington "European" trio of similar vintage. Not sure of the original circumstances of their recording (Vogue?), but excellent stuff.

These were recorded for Swing/Vogue in Paris in 1954 when Jimmy Jones was part of the trio which backed Sarah Vaughan when she made an appearance here.

Jimmy also plays very nicely on "Two from Duke" by Harold Ashby & Paul Gonsalves (Columbia UK). I don't know whether that's been issued anywhere else.

I think he is also on organ with Johnny Hodges instead of Wild Bill Davis - can't be asked to look that up, just at the moment.

MG

"his solo on the Ellington Jazz Party album blows my mind."

Yes! That's most of what I have knowingly heard.

He worked with many singers.

"I have a special regard for his contributions to some of the best Sonny Stitt recordings:

'New York Jazz', 'A Little Bit of Stitt', 'Stittsville'..."

I used to love Stittsville and often played along with it when I was young.

I often wondered who was playing with him. :-)

Joe wrote:

These were recorded for Swing/Vogue in Paris in 1954 when Jimmy Jones was part of the trio which backed Sarah Vaughan when she made an appearance here.

Thanks Brownie.

This thread prompted me to spin those 4 Budd Johnson / Jimmy Jones / Big 4 tracks... incredibly sophisticated and complex "mood" music, exemplified by "Strollin' Easy".

Also, more prime Jones to be found on some of those CBS Buck Clayton jam sessions.

Edited by Joe

"his solo on the Ellington Jazz Party album blows my mind."

Yes! That's most of what I have knowingly heard.

He worked with many singers.

"I have a special regard for his contributions to some of the best Sonny Stitt recordings:

'New York Jazz', 'A Little Bit of Stitt', 'Stittsville'..."

I used to love Stittsville and often played along with it when I was young.

I often wondered who was playing with him. :-)

I think he's on some of the Mosaic Sonny Stitt sessions. That's where I recall seeing his name.

I admire Jimmy Jones (he's in fine form on that Harry Edison "Swinger"/"Mr. Swinger" compilation, gets a lot of solo space) but about the "Ben Webster and Associates" date, I agree with Coleman Hawkins' biographer John Chilton, who wrote that "inspiration is sadly lacking" there, both on the part of horn soloists and IMO the rhythm section. The chunkiness of the rhythm section seems to stem from the rather square/too explicit comping of guitarist Les Spann. Doing a Freddie Green apparently was not Spann's thing; Jo Jones seems particularly frustrated at times with how things are going (or not going). Also, as Chilton points out, the tempo for "In A Mellow Tone" is rather loggy.

I admire Jimmy Jones (he's in fine form on that Harry Edison "Swinger"/"Mr. Swinger" compilation, gets a lot of solo space)

Completely agree!!!!

but about the "Ben Webster and Associates" date, I agree with Coleman Hawkins' biographer John Chilton, who wrote that "inspiration is sadly lacking" there, both on the part of horn soloists and IMO the rhythm section. The chunkiness of the rhythm section seems to stem from the rather square/too explicit comping of guitarist Les Spann. Doing a Freddie Green apparently was not Spann's thing; Jo Jones seems particularly frustrated at times with how things are going (or not going). Also, as Chilton points out, the tempo for "In A Mellow Tone" is rather loggy.

Completely DISagree! :g Seriously, I think this is probably my favorite Webster album (a tough call for me, since I love 'em all) and it has everything to do with Jimmy Jones. And Les Spann. And Papa Jo! Maybe I've been mistaking frustration for sheer excitement, but I can live with my illusions if necessary. ;)

Edited by Big Al

Jimmy Jones was famous as a singer accompanist. Beside his celebrated work with Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald, he also took a major part in two of Helen Merrill's best albums, the EmArcy one with Clifford Brown and the MetroJazz session (with Kenny Dorham) 'You've Got a Date with the Blues'.

O my thank's for the reactions! :D

I have the classics cd, and I must say the first time that I heard "Strollin' Easy" it sounded extremely familiar (like I could hum along from the start). Does someone know if there are versions by other musicians? Somehow I believe that I heard it on a live album/broadcast as the themesong of a set or so.

Btw is his soloalbum still available on cd? Spotted it once on ebay at a very spicy price...

Thanks for starting this, epistrophy007.

In just about all the recorded Jimmy I've heard, he's playing short solos to provide points of repose between the utterances of the bigger stars. OTOH, his solo on the Ellington Jazz Party album blows my mind. So, where can I hear more of Jimmy really stretching?

Didn't know the Ellington Jazz Party album yet, gonna check that one out...thank's for the tip.

One of the few moments that Jones get's a chance shine a bit more than usual is his "long" introduction on "I can't believe that you're in love with me" with Quinichette (Moods, Emarcy, 1955).

j.

Edited by epistrophy007

This is the same guy who accompanied Sarah Vaughn, right? I believe he's also on the Ellington/Fitzgerald Cote D'Azur recordings. He is terrific. Wish he'd recorded more as a leader.

I believe he also arranged Wes Montgomery's first date with strings on Riverside (reissued years ago as part of a two-fer called Pretty Blue. Unless it's a totally different Jimmy Jones.

This is the same guy who accompanied Sarah Vaughn, right? I believe he's also on the Ellington/Fitzgerald Cote D'Azur recordings. He is terrific. Wish he'd recorded more as a leader.

I believe he also arranged Wes Montgomery's first date with strings on Riverside (reissued years ago as part of a two-fer called Pretty Blue. Unless it's a totally different Jimmy Jones.

No that's him! Not that familiar with Jones as an arranger, but I have an album from the same period he did with Gloria Lynne.

j.