Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

[quote name='tranemonk' date='23 March 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1269355711' post='1010057'

That's very good to know.. I just cancelled my jazzloft order and will order through CAM jazz...

thanks for the info!

Based on current exchange rates, the price from Amazon France is about $63 for 2 of these sets shipped.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the Haden, I'd not put this up against the ECM Old and New Dreams, and I see that band as a more polite version of the Ornette Coleman quartet. The non-O&ND is Ok-ish.

On the Threadgill, I do like Air but don't know how much you need and find these a little undercharged, while the Nuff-Nuff group is OK and the other stuff I find dry.

The other sets I dunno. My 0.02 but much of the BS/SN material has gone cold on me after a period of eager accumulation. Not so great sonically unless they have gone in for remastering (um, and there's the usual Catch 22 right there...).

I'll disagree with David on Etudes - it's a great set with Haden, Geri Allen and Paul Motian. There's a superb version of "Lonely Woman" on it.

I always quite liked the Haden record with Chet Baker also (the only one of the Haden set I have so I'm tempted). Edited by kh1958

Can't read French... Anyone got as good a price from an English website???

thanks

Cheapest here:

http://www.amazon.fr/Compilation-Enrico-Rava/dp/B003627ON0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269351814&sr=1-2

All are the same price, but not available until 4/9/10.

Neither can I, but I manage to place a viable order with them every so often. The effort is definitely worth the $20+ saved to me. Here's a tip: all Amazon websites are layed out similarly. Open up 2 browsers -- one with the US site and one with the French, and go from there.

When, and if, an English site (other than Jazz Loft) gets these, keep in mind that they will be more expensive than Cam Jazz and Amazon France because the price includes the cost of importing them from overseas, which is passed on to consumers like you and me.

I'll disagree with David on Etudes - it's a great set with Haden, Geri Allen and Paul Motian. There's a superb version of "Lonely Woman" on it.

I certainly won't knock this. It is good, if genteel.

I always quite liked the Haden record with Chet Baker also (the only one of the Haden set I have so I'm tempted).

That depends on your feeling about late Chet. If you actually like that record I think you'll enjoy the rest of the set more, maybe even much more.

I always quite liked the Haden record with Chet Baker also (the only one of the Haden set I have so I'm tempted).

That depends on your feeling about late Chet. If you actually like that record I think you'll enjoy the rest of the set more, maybe even much more.

In general, I like the good late Chet the best of his work (and this is one of them).

In general, I like the good late Chet the best of his work (and this is one of them).

In fact I'm playing that right now. It sounds wonderful - because it's an LP! CD can never sound like this. There's someone playing a type of bass banjo on it. Apparently this was common in the LP era but the practice was discontinued in the digital age and the bass banjo was removed from all digital remasters as people with small portable AM radios in the mid-1970s felt they had been missing out on something - they weren't sure what. I guess I don't *love* this record musically but, as I only rarely make time for vinyl these days, I'll say it *sounds* a real treat...

It gets better

have just ordered through Grooves-Inc (www.grooves-inc.com/index.php) - have been using them for the past 8 months without a hitch

They are selling the sets for 23.89 euros & free shipping (for any order above 20 euros)

Got both Haden & Threadgill boxes for 47.78 euros (approx 64.58 US$)

Most of the online dealers have the sets being made available as from March 26

Very nice to see those box sets released.

Looking forward now to a Jimmy Lyons box!

I guess their back-catalog would yield a few such sets - George Adams, Don Pullen, David Murray, Max Roach, Andrew Hill etc etc. Maybe if there is a feeding frenzy on these sets more will come.

By the way does anyone know where there is a complete discography of these labels/ Many titles are in print and listed on their website, though you can't browse it by artist name which is a drawback. What these labels did was document, in some cases extensively, many American (and other) artists who were and mainly are ignored by American labels, or who spread their activites between independents (of which BS/SN must be the largest) and were made very welcome in Europe. These boxes are a welcome reminder that these Italian labels are actually classic labels - during decades which may be less than truly classic, but at least we have the evidence. So hats off to Giovanni Bonandrini and his catalogue of 500+ titles - let's hope for a few more box sets.

Edited by David Ayers

Will get the Threadgill set for sure!

Got the Lyons discs on their own last year, so I won't need a box (five of them, right? Two by groups, two w/Cyrille and "Nuba"? Or was there anything else?)

What I would be very happy to see: Andrew Hill, Max Roach... and maybe some of the freer stuff? Lowe, M.R. Abrams...

It gets better

have just ordered through Grooves-Inc (www.grooves-inc.com/index.php) - have been using them for the past 8 months without a hitch

They are selling the sets for 23.89 euros & free shipping (for any order above 20 euros)

Got both Haden & Threadgill boxes for 47.78 euros (approx 64.58 US$)

Most of the online dealers have the sets being made available as from March 26

Romauldo, thanks for the tip on Grooves-Inc,. Not heard of them before but just decided to put them to the test with the Haden set. A very fair price so if they deliver I suspect I'll be back for the Threadgill

By the way does anyone know where there is a complete discography of these labels/ Many titles are in print and listed on their website, though you can't browse it by artist name which is a drawback.

You can browse by artist - click on the "artist" tab.

Got it thanks. Very comprehensive. I'd still like a simple text list. I like lists.

You can get the PDF catalogue - no duplicate listings, but no smart order either... I'd love to have a list as well (w/availability & prices), as it is now it's impossible to have some kind of overview unless you're very familiar with the label (which I'm not).

Very nice to see those box sets released.

Looking forward now to a Jimmy Lyons box!

I guess their back-catalog would yield a few such sets - George Adams, Don Pullen, David Murray, Max Roach, Andrew Hill etc etc. Maybe if there is a feeding frenzy on these sets more will come.

By the way does anyone know where there is a complete discography of these labels/ Many titles are in print and listed on their website, though you can't browse it by artist name which is a drawback. What these labels did was document, in some cases extensively, many American (and other) artists who were and mainly are ignored by American labels, or who spread their activites between independents (of which BS/SN must be the largest) and were made very welcome in Europe. These boxes are a welcome reminder that these Italian labels are actually classic labels - during decades which may be less than truly classic, but at least we have the evidence. So hats off to Giovanni Bonandrini and his catalogue of 500+ titles - let's hope for a few more box sets.

I'd love to see a David Murray box.