Black Saint/Soul Note Box Sets

romualdo

a question for those that have received any of the first four sets, what is the treatment of the boxes? are they the number of cds in jewel cases with the original liner notes contained within a cardboard box? do they have some sort of booklet that adds material not in the original liner notes?

I've had 'em for a while. They're paper sleeves in a left-side hinged box. No booklets - just repros of the original sleeves.

032701.jpg

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it was or maybe he didn't play on this section of the concert. In fact people might be surprised by this record [Olu Iwa] (currently $1.78 on amazon.com) which contains two tracks, the second 27 minutes of quartet with piano and marimba, the first 48 minutes said to be adding two saxes and trombone. But really both tracks are mainly about the piano-marimba group and the horns are intensively involved for a ten minute passage. I just played it and here is a trombone solo followed by a tenor solo which I believe is Wright. However for less than a dollar you can decide that for yourself!

FWIW, Rick Lopez' William Parker page has this:

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.11

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.12

Interesting. I've been curious about it but somehow never bought the CD when it was more "around." Now I'm less intrigued by a piano/marimba/recitation jam.

Maybe it was or maybe he didn't play on this section of the concert. In fact people might be surprised by this record [Olu Iwa] (currently $1.78 on amazon.com) which contains two tracks, the second 27 minutes of quartet with piano and marimba, the first 48 minutes said to be adding two saxes and trombone. But really both tracks are mainly about the piano-marimba group and the horns are intensively involved for a ten minute passage. I just played it and here is a trombone solo followed by a tenor solo which I believe is Wright. However for less than a dollar you can decide that for yourself!

FWIW, Rick Lopez' William Parker page has this:

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.11

http://www.bb10k.com/PARKER.disc.html#86.04.12

Interesting. I've been curious about it but somehow never bought the CD when it was more "around." Now I'm less intrigued by a piano/marimba/recitation jam.

Voices figure only in the last minute of the quartet piece. They are wordless cries and just a low-down part of the mix, so that in itself need not put you off. It's not a jam though, and as ever with CT groups the question is to try to work out what he has asked the musicians to do. The commentary on those links say the performance was tightly organised, and as often there are clear transitions from one section to another, even though, as ever, the overall musical effect is to create trance-like and sometimes dense textures. What's intriguing is the pairing with marimba which, while it has parallels in some classic 'modernist' piano/vibes pairings, is in another category as CT's piano might be thought not to leave much room for another percussive-melodic instrument. All that said, if you think it would leave you cold it probably would... and yeah we need to be clear that Brotzmann is not on it, though the several minutes of Frank Wright we get are quite worthwhile.

I like 'em.. As someone who using the sleeves due to a lack of space, anything that's simple and small is greatly appreciated...

Since you have them.. how's the Pieranunzi???

a question for those that have received any of the first four sets, what is the treatment of the boxes? are they the number of cds in jewel cases with the original liner notes contained within a cardboard box? do they have some sort of booklet that adds material not in the original liner notes?

I've had 'em for a while. They're paper sleeves in a left-side hinged box. No booklets - just repros of the original sleeves.

032701.jpg

Edited by tranemonk

Rod, can you actually read the back sides, and are the relevant info (line-ups, recording dates & locations) there? I have no SoulNote/BlackSaint vinyl, but on their CDs, the info is often frustratingly spread on the tray, the back of the booklet and somewhere in the booklet...)

The back of the boxes:

A & B

The covers are reproduced as is, so the back covers are

just smaller versions of what was printed originally -

which can be frustrating at times, but there it is...

sample backs

To answer about the Pieranunzi: I'm not really good at

putting into words my impressions on music, but his style

is clearly influenced by Bill Evans. More edge, but still

plays in an impressionistic way that suggests the melodies

rather than directly emphasizing them.

It's not all just filigrees tho - it swings as a tight ensemble

much of the time. I'd say that he really has a knack

for hooking up with musicians that really work within his style -

very simpatico - especially the session "Deep Down."

Even tho' the "Deep Down" disc has some Evans homages -

and even a version of "T.T.T.", the "No Man's Land" disc

would probably be the disc that would appeal most to Evans fans.

Good tight ensemble playing on the "Isis" disc with Art Farmer

playing on each of the tracks and the "Flux and Change" disc has

him playing duets with Paul Motian and working through suites of tunes -

some standards - in more of an abstract style of give and take.

The "Ma L'amore No" disc hasn't done a whole lot for me -

even tho it has Konitz and Rava. Italian female singer (Ada Montellanico)...

mostly Italian lyrics...with not very original phrasing...

European-style laid-back feel...it may grow on me later...or not.

Actually, his session with Haden and Billy Higgins

which is part of the Haden set is in some ways better than

the discs in his own set. Highly recommend the "First Song"

disc from that session.

Anyway, I'd say that it's a good set that covers solid ensemble playing

of various kinds (duet, quartets, quintets, etc) at a very reasonable price.

I understand that some of these discs (and others in the other sets)

can be hard to find and can fetch high prices once they are found.

Also, I'd recommend that you head over to Amazon and

listen to some clips to get some idea of his style.

Much better than hearing me blather on...

Â®Ă¸âˆ‚

Very good, thanks!

Guess I'll get the Haden as well... I think the "First Song" album with Pieranuzi on the Haden set is quite good, too, from what I've heard. From the Pieranunzi set I'd be most interested in "Deep Down" with Johnson/Baron.

I think that "Deep Down" is the real highlight of the set.

Thank you so much for the pics and the review...

I've been listening to the Threadgill on the CAMJAZZ website.. and I have to say.... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: I'm leaning toward getting both the BlackSaint and the Mosaic box....

:wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink:

The back of the boxes:

A & B

The covers are reproduced as is, so the back covers are

just smaller versions of what was printed originally -

which can be frustrating at times, but there it is...

sample backs

To answer about the Pieranunzi: I'm not really good at

putting into words my impressions on music, but his style

is clearly influenced by Bill Evans. More edge, but still

plays in an impressionistic way that suggests the melodies

rather than directly emphasizing them.

It's not all just filigrees tho - it swings as a tight ensemble

much of the time. I'd say that he really has a knack

for hooking up with musicians that really work within his style -

very simpatico - especially the session "Deep Down."

Even tho' the "Deep Down" disc has some Evans homages -

and even a version of "T.T.T.", the "No Man's Land" disc

would probably be the disc that would appeal most to Evans fans.

Good tight ensemble playing on the "Isis" disc with Art Farmer

playing on each of the tracks and the "Flux and Change" disc has

him playing duets with Paul Motian and working through suites of tunes -

some standards - in more of an abstract style of give and take.

The "Ma L'amore No" disc hasn't done a whole lot for me -

even tho it has Konitz and Rava. Italian female singer (Ada Montellanico)...

mostly Italian lyrics...with not very original phrasing...

European-style laid-back feel...it may grow on me later...or not.

Actually, his session with Haden and Billy Higgins

which is part of the Haden set is in some ways better than

the discs in his own set. Highly recommend the "First Song"

disc from that session.

Anyway, I'd say that it's a good set that covers solid ensemble playing

of various kinds (duet, quartets, quintets, etc) at a very reasonable price.

I understand that some of these discs (and others in the other sets)

can be hard to find and can fetch high prices once they are found.

Also, I'd recommend that you head over to Amazon and

listen to some clips to get some idea of his style.

Much better than hearing me blather on...

Â®Ă¸âˆ‚

and yeah we need to be clear that Brotzmann is not on it, though the several minutes of Frank Wright we get are quite worthwhile.

According to the Peter Stubley website, Brotzmann says he *is* on the recording. Now I'm confused.It actually is hard to tell whether it is him, since it kinda could be in certain passages, but...

I think I may have to go and lie down.

Thank you so much for the pics and the review...

I've been listening to the Threadgill on the CAMJAZZ website.. and I have to say.... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: I'm leaning toward getting both the BlackSaint and the Mosaic box....

I've never understood the :blush: thingy...it looks negative, what with the "thumbs down" gesture & the eyes rolling, but obviously not if you're leaning towards getting both sets... anywya, if you like it like It hink you're saying you do, cool! Henry needs more recognition!

Very good, thanks!

Guess I'll get the Haden as well... I think the "First Song" album with Pieranuzi on the Haden set is quite good, too, from what I've heard. From the Pieranunzi set I'd be most interested in "Deep Down" with Johnson/Baron.

The Haden box would be a must for me but I think I have all the albums already. Highly recommended!

Did anybody else order from them? I'm a little nervous as the status of my order has not changed. I haven't ordered from them before so I'm wondering what's up.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Cool - When did you order them? My order has "been recieved" and that's it.... <_< <_< <_< <_<

My Haden & Threadgill sets have shipped from Grooves-inc

placed order on March 24

I placed an order with Grooves Inc. for all four boxes on Thursday, March 25. Was immediately contacted by my credit card provider doublechecking whether I placed such an order. Received two emails from Grooves yesterday (March 29) indicating that all four items were "ready for dispatch today and will be sent to you tomorrow and should reach you within the next days". Of course, I won't expect them for awhile given its free shipping from Switzerland. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't wait to see if they could sell the items to a closer customer. Hopefully the items will arrive without significant delay or damage. So far so good.

thanks... that's helpful..

You know Chuck... Ya never know who you're dealing with on the Internet... As it's the first time I've ordered from them.. just making sure its legit...

I placed an order with Grooves Inc. for all four boxes on Thursday, March 25. Was immediately contacted by my credit card provider doublechecking whether I placed such an order. Received two emails from Grooves yesterday (March 29) indicating that all four items were "ready for dispatch today and will be sent to you tomorrow and should reach you within the next days". Of course, I won't expect them for awhile given its free shipping from Switzerland. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't wait to see if they could sell the items to a closer customer. Hopefully the items will arrive without significant delay or damage. So far so good.