Trombonists and the joie de vivre

Dan Gould

I've been working my way through my collection and this week, found myself deep into the G's, and I happened to load up on discs from two great players:

Bennie Green

Al Grey

And it suddenly dawned on me, these are two guys who always bring a smile to my face. Such joy and spirit in their playing! A lot like Pops in a way.

So what is it about 'bonists? The vocal effects that can be made?

Is it the fact that both came up more in the swing era than the bop era? I mean, I love JJ and Curtis Fuller, but those guys don't make me :D like Al and Bennie.

Please join me in giving some love to Al Grey and Bennie Green, cause they sure loved playin' for y'all. B)

There is something about the bonists in the swing era (and before) that works a similar magic on me Dan.

I'll add Teagarden and Tyree Glenn to that list, those two guys bring a lot of joy to my listening life. And in a different way there is Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton for decades in the Ellington Orchestra. . . . His sound was so mercurial and amusing!

While in a more forward-looking vein that some of the older (and great) trombonists already listed, Steve Swell certainly brings a joie de vivre to his improvisations. If you like Roswell Rudd — who's always noted as being directly influenced by trombonists playing "New Orleans Music" — you'll probably like Steve Swell.

Check out Swell's sides on CIMP if you're into creative improvised music that embraces "avant" leanings while simultaneously pointing back to the lusty snarls and yawps of an earlier era of trombone playing.

CIMP

I only saw Al Grey play on the one occasion (an all-star Gillespie Big Band reunion) but his enthusiasm throughout the performance was absolutely infectious. Several years later I picked up an LP of his with Jimmy Forrest which was signed by Al and his very positive comments on the LP about Jimmy (it was Forrest's last date) tapped into the same vibe. Same with Bennie Green. One listen to 'Soul Stirrin' puts a big smile on the face and lightens the mood enormously. Both of these guys are indeed sorely missed. Add Frank Rosolino to that roll call too.

Edited by sidewinder

Please join me in giving some love to Al Grey and Bennie Green, cause they sure loved playin' for y'all. B)

I agree, and I would add that anybody who can make good music (in tune) on one of those things deserves a whole lot of credit/respect. I have an older brother who plays, and from what he's told me about the experience of learning to play, I know that's one instrument that I would never attempt. Of course, my damn brother is one of those guys that can play anything (not to mention paint, draw... :angry: ).

I agree about Rosolino too. His nutty personality really came through in his playing- even if he wasn't singing "Pennies From Heaven" or "Please Don't Bug Me". :)

I agree with Jim. When I watch people play those bones, I marvel at the music they can produce out of it. Just looking at it, you wouldn't think so. Nobody's mentioned Jimmy Cleveland, although he gets mentioned ocassionally. But the guy who never gets mentioned at all and his one album that he did as a leader is just great bop, and part of the great tradition of Brookly bebop, is Matthew Gee. He can play! What about Tommy Turk, who participated in some JATP sessions. Hard to find his leader albums.

I belive I may have said it elsewhere, but I was very impressed by Julian Priester's most recent recording and his playing in general over the years. I don't profess to be an expert on trombonists, but another musician that I personally think really has something to say on the trombone is Jeb Bishop. I have only heard him in the context of Ken Vandermark's various groups, but IMO his playing is a large reason for the success of those groups.

Wycliffe Gordon plays a solo on one of the two unreleased outtakes from the Herbie Nichols Project (available in the download section on the Palmetto Records homepage), that fits in perfect!

I don't know Gordon well, in fact I hardly know him, but that's a great solo he plays there! Check it out!

(Check out all those downloads! There's two unedited tracks that were released on Hill's A Beautiful Day available in their unedited form, some jams, and free impros, some outtakes, and three live tracks by Bobby Previte's cool "Bump the Renaissance" band recorded on their tour in Europe)

ubu

Definition of an optimist. A trombone player with a pager.

Seriously though, I've always been very partial to Frank Rosolino. A top of the line technician but, as Jim R mentioned, always upbeat and a bit off center. I guess he had a terrific sense of humor. I enjoy his vocal work as well. If you've seen any of the Jazz Scene USA videos, there's one segment that features his band. Really good stuff. I always wonder how someone who seemed to be so happy could have wound up so sad.

Up over and out.

A trombonist, who comes from the Rosolino/Fontana school of hardbop deserves, in my humble opinion, some wider recognition. He now lives in KC and posts on this board from time to time. Lyricism and total control of the horn along with a boundless wealth of ideas. Burnin'! Do a search on AllAboutMusic.com for Paul McKee and check out his stuff.

Thank you for the kind words and the unsolicited testemonial, Miles251. I appreciate it, although I think this thread at least started as a tribute to the Al Grey/Benny Green type of players, which really doesn't include me. But thanks anyway, and please don't be a stranger to this board. :)

Is there some hipper board you're hanging out at, or are you just too busy with your teaching, gigs and love life to visit? ;)

No, there is no hipper board! (a tune by isham Jones comes to mind)