Archie Shepp

EKE BBB

LOVE Archie Shepp!

He was one of the first "avante-garde" musicians that I really got into heavily (this was prior to my becoming a fan of Ornette, late period Trane, etc.) At the time I think what connected me to his playing was the tone. I loved the whole Ben Webster meets gutbucket aspect of his sound, that helped give me an immediate appreciation of what he was doing, even before I had really digested his conception. Then his writing & arranging skills began to sink in and I've been hooked ever since.

Faves include:

The Way Ahead

For Losers

Magic Of Juju

Yasmina

The House I Live In

Blue Ballads

True Ballads

Four for Trane

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Fire Music is the essential Impulse, followed perhaps (and for different reasons) by Three for a Quarter One for A Dime (which is included as a bonus on the euro/US CD issue of Live in SF (but not on the successive Japanese versions).

The most essential Shepp in my book is also, I am sorry to say, the hardest to find - the two Fontanas: Rufus with John Tchicai and Consequence with the NY Contemporary 5. Easier to find and also essential are the two Sonet/Delmark LPS with the NYC5. The CD of this music is missing one track.

Here is a nice review of the Dixon/Shepp disc:

http://www.jazzweekly.com/reviews/bdixon_savoy.htm

They do NOT appear together, by the way, in case this was misunderstood. First side is Bill Dixon (with Ken McIntyre, George Barrow, Howard Johnson a.o.), second side is Archie Shepp (with Don Cherry or Ted Curson). The CD has some good liners, too.

JohnS and Lazaro were talking about a different Savoy Shepp/Dixon. It was a quartet date form late '62 with Don Moore/Reggie Workman - bass and Paul Cohen/Howard McRae - drums. The Workman/McRae tandem play on one of the four tracks.

Wonderful date never on cd 'cause Dixon owns the masters.

JohnS and Lazaro were talking about a different Savoy Shepp/Dixon. It was a quartet date form late '62 with Don Moore/Reggie Workman - bass and Paul Cohen/Howard McRae - drums. The Workman/McRae tandem play on one of the four tracks.

The copy of that Archie Shepp/Bill Dixon Quartet Savoy LP I have lists Shepp/Dixon as producer. Surprised that Shepp could not prevail on Dixon to reissue this!

Here is a nice review of the Dixon/Shepp disc:

http://www.jazzweekly.com/reviews/bdixon_savoy.htm

They do NOT appear together, by the way, in case this was misunderstood. First side is Bill Dixon (with Ken McIntyre, George Barrow, Howard Johnson a.o.), second side is Archie Shepp (with Don Cherry or Ted Curson). The CD has some good liners, too.

I stand corrected. Sounds like something that I'd love to hear!

But the other one is not bad, either.

ubu

That is a great record... but just because Dixon owns the tape doesn't mean someone can't bootleg it! After all, there was a BYG pressing done ostensibly off a copy of the Savoy LP. Still, the NYCF take it for me any day: that version of "Trio" on Volume 2 of the Sonet(/Delmark/Storyville/whatever else) set is really amazing.

Incidentally Shepp is a featured musician & keynote speaker at this year's Guelph Jazz Festival.

I don't know his work well & don't have a great inclination to do so--I remember liking Four for Trane, which I used to have on cassette, but I recently picked up the Impulse! Live in San Francisco/Three for a Quarter One for a Dime reissue & found it very poor.

Others have written here about Attica Blues so I'll just say that I totally agree. A great recording and now that it's been released on CD everyone should pick it up if they don't have it on LP.

I have the Attica Blues Band live 2 LP set recorded in France. Has this been released on CD? It is an absolutely phenomonal concert.

In the early 1970s Shepp appeared in a play at the Brooklyn Academy of Music about the life of Billie Holiday. I think he wrote the book and Cal Massey wrote the music. Clifford Jordan played Lester Young. I remember it fondly and wondered if anyone else here saw it.

FOR LOSERS is one of the most accurately named albums of all time, a heartbreaking, poignantly unflinching (sic) musical portrayal of its title, specifically as it relates to "the jazz life". It's my favorite Shepp impulse!, bar none, and quite possibly my favorite of his, period. If and when it gets reissued on CD, people will either love it totally or hate it without reservation.

Given the concept, could it be any other way?

The copy of that Archie Shepp/Bill Dixon Quartet Savoy LP I have lists Shepp/Dixon as producer. Surprised that Shepp could not prevail on Dixon to reissue this!

Dixon is bitter about it. They sold a ten year lease to Savoy for one dollar when nobody was interested. In an interview Dixon remarks ominously that he will be publishing his side of the story one day. Maybe Chuck has the skinny on this? Or maybe its all there in that one dollar fee. So, uh, I won't be bootlegging this one, it would just add insult to injury...

Maybe this is one for UMS...?

Edited by David Ayers

I agree, one of my favorite Impulses by Shepp. . . seems to me that it is sort of an updated answer to Ellington's "My People"--hard to know though if that is me reading into it or an intention of Shepp's. . . either way I enjoy both works in similar ways and levels!

And I dig the shit out of the cover photo! If I could get the LP cheaper then for around 30-35 bucks (that's the prize these Shepp Impulses go in the one jazz second hand vinyl store in Zurich), I'd get it just for that photo!

Edited by king ubu

And I dig the shit out of the cover photo! If I could get the LP cheaper then for around 30-35 bucks (that's the prize these Shepp Impulses go in the one jazz second hand vinyl store in Zurich), I'd get it just for that photo!

Great cover photo by Fred Seligo!