Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/3/2022 at 8:55 PM, GA Russell said:

Darn, the Mayall box is now out of stock.

Thanks anyway, Lon!

PS - Correction.  The $80 box sold by Deep Discount is now out of stock.  Walmart has it for $300+.

I searched for this set on Walmart this morning and it is now showing at 80.44 again.

My set is out for delivery.

Edited by jazzbo

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Not a "box" per se, but a great bargain if you like Tim Buckley: on Ebay, Manifesto Records is offering a 4 CD bundle of Sefronia, Look At The Fool, Venice Mating Call, and Live At The Electric Theater Co. Chicago 1968 (6 CDs total) for $12.49.

Great buy for the two live doubles!  The two studio albums are strange, but kind of interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, GA Russell said:

SLIDE HAMPTON: The Classic Albums 1959-1963 (8 albums / 62 tracks on 4 CDs) - $13.95

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/slide-hampton-the-classic-albums-1959-1963-compact-disc

This is a Euro Public-Domain issue, right?  (The visual style of the release is of the type I associate with PD releases.)

1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

This is a Euro Public-Domain issue, right?  (The visual style of the release is of the type I associate with PD releases.)

Yes.  No frills, but they do have some liner notes, complete personnel listings, pretty good sound sources.  

12 hours ago, bresna said:

This is technically just another bootleg.

Kevin, I'm not sure that's right.  I'm no expert, but I think that tracks recorded in '62 are PD in Europe.

It's very possible that many 1962 recordings were released and sold in 1963.  They would be public domain now nevertheless.

Any European here want to weigh in?

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Kevin, I'm not sure that's right.  I'm no expert, but I think that tracks recorded in '62 are PD in Europe.

It's very possible that many 1962 recordings were released and sold in 1963.  They would be public domain now nevertheless.

Two issues: one is that the law states 50 years from the date of release for pre-1963 recordings. For instance: unauthorized "EU" releases of the 1945 Bird/Dizzy concert produced by Uptown in 2005 were illegal because it was a 2005, not 1945, production.

The other issue is enforcement: masters owners don't care enough or don't have enough resources to litigate. The only case I know of following the letter of the law is Germany's Bear Family going after the UK's JSP for lifting their new masters of the early Carter Family recordings, and I'd guess that both countries being under EU law at the time made things easier.

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

10 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Enlightenment is selling several box sets with material recorded after 1962. Check their discography. No need to try to "defend" them. They clearly don't feel restricted from issuing anything they think they can get away with. What's weird is when they release Blue Note material without consequence. I would think that a large company like Blue Note would take them to court.

For instance:

Primary

Edited by bresna