Are there any box bargains currently available?

Today's deal on pop Market: Louis Armstrong, the complete hot 5 & 7 recordings for $19.99 (4 CDs).

LOUIS+ARMSTRONG+HOT+FIVE+&+HOT+TEN.jpg

Interesting, I did not realize before that my 3 individual "complete" CDs only contain the master takes. If you don't care about the alternates and whatnot, the individual CDs can be had for $4-6 new at many online stores. (J&R has them for $3.99 each though volume 3 is out of stock.)

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just grabbed Bill Evans' Secret Sessions box for $16.99 from Second Spin!

Did you actually receive the box? I ordered another copy of the box from them at the same price when it showed up again a few days later. What I just received in the mail is a single disc (#3) from the box!

Even though I rarely buy mp3s, I don't think it's really all that necessary to start a separate thread. This thread may have "box bargains" in the title but the meaning in context is pretty clearly "Where can I get lots of music in quantity for cheap?"

I mean, I don't buy crappily-packaged European-made budget boxes, full stop, but I'm not demanding that we start a separate thread for them to cater to my personal packaging preferences.

I understand your point, but MP3s and CD box are really two distinct items , one is physical the other not , the same way vinyl and cds the latter is a bastard child of the first , if these were in a lossless format , I would tolerate them more although I'd still feel separate threads would be better.

There's no need for a new thread at all, since there's one here:

I'm sure no one gets mad if you post amazon or other bargains there, similarly to how here no one gets mad about someone posting about cheapo euro rip off sets.

mp3, in my understanding, is about tracks, tunes, songs... an mp3 box set is a contradictio in adjecto, at least in my book.

Agreed, but like others posters here, I would much prefer that Mp3 enthusiasts post their bargains in a seperate thread. I'm always disappointed when I look here to find a potential bargain and discover it's a Mp3. Mp3s and vinyl are certainly both valued and legitimate formats, but I couldn't care less about either and would rather not see them here.

Edited by mikelz777

Agreed, but like others posters here, I would much prefer that Mp3 enthusiasts post their bargains in a seperate thread. I'm always disappointed when I look here to find a potential bargain and discover it's a Mp3. Mp3s and vinyl are certainly both valued and legitimate formats, but I couldn't care less about either and would rather not see them here.

I'm always disappointed when I look here and find a Bud Shank set or some other artist I'm not interested in.

Consider this a vote for keeping the mp3s in this thread.

I am subscribed to this thread because of the boxed CD sets, artifacts that, in general, were originally made with great care and to be sold for a lot of money, and that now can be found for peanuts. Just willing to help the industry get rid of their stock.

I'm not interested in mp3 files, at least in principle, but I don't mind skipping the (ir)relevant messages. Regarding the Capitol Vault Series, FWIW those have been available on Spotify for a while now (link).

F

Edited by Fer Urbina

PS I think its great that sets can be made available cheaply in this way. They are without notes, sure, but the information is mainly findable (a lot of it here on this board). It's a great initiative by Capitol/EMI (who, of course, own all of the material they issue and are uhh somewhat legitimate despite the growls coming from Texas where world culture was mainly invented ;)). I guess there will be more of this (e.g. the Mobley set is also out there though missing from the list above), and stuff like Maynard and the Basie's at a low price would be good sellers, I should think.

BUT FOR CHRISSAKES AT LEAST MENTION IT'S *ONLY* MP3, OR ELSE WE CD-ONLY GUYS WILL ALL DIE FROM HEARTATTACKS!

Thanks for considering! :blink:

Yes, that would be nice. Especially as Chuck already started a separate 'mp3 bargains' thread.