Stan Getz Quintets: The Clef & Norgran Studio Albums

crisp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which albums would this contain?

I'm not sure which albums will be in the set, but these albums contain studio quintet recordings from 1952-1955:

Clef MGC-137 (10") - Stan Getz Plays

Clef MGC-143 (10") - The Artistry of Stan Getz

Norgran MGN-1000 - Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet #1

Norgran MGN-1008 - Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet #2

Norgran MGN-1029 - Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet #3

Norgran MGN-1032 - West Coast Jazz

Norgran MGN-1042 - Stan Getz Plays (reissue of Clef MGC-137 and MGC-143)

Norgran MGN-1087 - Stan Getz '56

Norgran MGN-1088 - More West Coast Jazz

I'm away from my collection right now (arg!), so I can't check this quickly, but this doesn't repeat anything from the Mosaic Getz/Raney set does it? And how about the Verve-issued 3-disc Getz set "East of the Sun: The West Coast Sessions"? Seems to me that had some of the early quintet material, didn't it?

gregmo

It should include everyhing up to the East of the Sun set.

And it might Duplicate the material from "Stan Getz Plays", I assume? That's a Raney quintet date there (the CD bonus session with Jimmy Rowles is a quartet if memory serves me right).

I've never heard the Interpretations material so far!

The first of the West Coast albums/sessions was w/quintet, wasn't it? "Jazz West Coast", listed above by J.A.W. - so this might be duplicated, after all... but would it all fit onto just three discs? Or will they skip that as it's out as part of another fine set anyway? I'd hope they'll skip, but I'll want this new one anyway! Won't beat the Roost 3CD set, I guess, but I'm always in for a surprise of course!

It should include everyhing up to the East of the Sun set.

And it might Duplicate the material from "Stan Getz Plays", I assume? That's a Raney quintet date there (the CD bonus session with Jimmy Rowles is a quartet if memory serves me right).

I've never heard the Interpretations material so far!

The first of the West Coast albums/sessions was w/quintet, wasn't it? "Jazz West Coast", listed above by J.A.W. - so this might be duplicated, after all... but would it all fit onto just three discs? Or will they skip that as it's out as part of another fine set anyway? I'd hope they'll skip, but I'll want this new one anyway! Won't beat the Roost 3CD set, I guess, but I'm always in for a surprise of course!

The new set will contain the 1952-1955 studio Clef/Norgran quintet sessions, so I guess the 12"/30cm LPs Stan Getz Plays (two 1952 quintet sessions), More West Coast Jazz (three 1953 quintet sessions) and Stan Getz '56 (more material from those three 1953 quintet sessions) and the three Interpretations albums with quintet dates from 1953 and 1954 will be included. I have no idea what the exact 1955 cut-off date will be; perhaps Chuck is right and they will stop where East of the Sun begins, leaving out West Coast Jazz, although Michel Ruppli's Clef/Norgran/Verve discography doesn't list any other 1955 Getz quintet dates, which could mean that West Coast Jazz *will* be included.

I don't think Universal/Hip-O will leave out the 1952 Clef quintet session with Jimmy Raney because it was issued years ago on a long OOP and hard-to-get Mosaic.

I don't think Universal/Hip-O will leave out the 1952 Clef quintet session with Jimmy Raney because it was issued years ago on a long OOP and hard-to-get Mosaic.

I didn't talk of that Mosaic but of the Verve CD which is still readily available... but in the end I won't be bothered too much by some duplications and will be happy to get an official release of the Interpretations albums!

I didn't talk of that Mosaic but of the Verve CD which is still readily available... but in the end I won't be bothered too much by some duplications and will be happy to get an official release of the Interpretations albums!

I know you weren't talking about the Mosaic, I just thought I'd mention it to provide as much info as I could, that's all.

I know you weren't talking about the Mosaic, I just thought I'd mention it to provide as much info as I could, that's all.

Sure, fine.

To me, that "Plays" material never quite reaches the same heights as the Haig quartets and Raney sessions for Roost do.

Getz made studio quintet recordings for Clef and Norgran between December 1952 and August 1955 and the title of the upcoming Universal/Hip-O set will be Quintets: The Clef and Norgran Studio Albums, so I think it's very likely that it will contain all those dates, including the ones that have already been issued on CD. The last studio quintet recording Getz made for Norgran is the West Coast Jazz session.

Many thanks for the thoughtful responses to my query. Sounds like there may be some duplication at either end of the set for those of us with both the Mosaic and the East of the Sun sets. I'll probably wait to see the details before I spring for this one, though those 53-54 things are enticing.

gregmo

• 4 weeks later...

The set is no longer listed on Hip-O's home page, at least I can't find it on their site - or on any other internet store site, for that matter.

(edit) I just heard that the set has been delayed until January 2011.

Thanks for the update. I too had noticed that it had disappeared from their list of upcoming releases. January's not too long to wait :)