Down Home Reunion: Young Men From Memphis

Brad

I'll have to go against some of the prevailing opinions. It's a good recording, but I was somewhat disappointed when I heard it. The people involved and the idea of a reunion of young guys who'd played together in Memphis led me to expect more. I guess my expectations were too high.

I'd think they definitely were too high. At the time, Louis Smith was the only one with even two leader dates to his credit, Strozier and Coleman hadn't recorded as leaders yet, Little had recorded once ...

By 1958 Phineas Newborn was already a significant presence in the world of piano.

My turntable isn't set-up at the moment; if my memory serves me right I found the Booker Little side of the lp more interesting.

Imho, it's a pretty strong date, especially if one compares it to the 1980s-1990s [well groomed] Young Lion recordings.

Thanks for the tip about the Amazon MP3. I may just buy the two missing tracks as downloads.

Here's something odd though. My iTunes files for 'Things Ain't ...' and 'Blue 'n' Boogie' show the timings 10:48 and 8:10 (respectively). The timings on Amazon are 11:43 and 8:49. Were the tracks on the Blue Note CD truncated? Noal Cohen's Frank Strozier discography also has the shorter timings and mentions nothing about edits.

I'll contact Noal about this.

Bertrand.

I'll have to go against some of the prevailing opinions. It's a good recording, but I was somewhat disappointed when I heard it. The people involved and the idea of a reunion of young guys who'd played together in Memphis led me to expect more. I guess my expectations were too high.

Sums up my view too.

Thanks for the tip about the Amazon MP3. I may just buy the two missing tracks as downloads.

Here's something odd though. My iTunes files for 'Things Ain't ...' and 'Blue 'n' Boogie' show the timings 10:48 and 8:10 (respectively). The timings on Amazon are 11:43 and 8:49. Were the tracks on the Blue Note CD truncated? Noal Cohen's Frank Strozier discography also has the shorter timings and mentions nothing about edits.

I'll contact Noal about this.

Bertrand.

I have the Japanese CD of Down Home Reunion. The times there are the same as on the Booker Little + 4 CD, and are 10:48 and 8:10. I assume those are the times on the LP as well.

Edited by John L

Noal is suggesting that perhaps the Amazon downloads run too slow. Any thoughts on this? Musicians out there might notice some pitch problems.

I always thought the Fresh Sound Jazz In The Garden (the one with the two Bookers) had a similar problem, but apparently Teddy Charles talks that way.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand