Aretha Franklin's complete Columbia recordings

It seems to be almost conventional wisdon that Aretha's Columbia recordings are somehow inferior to the later Atlantic recordings. Not true. They are different...there are a lot more covers and a lot more standards but over the years they have stood up extremely well. Atlantic may have known how to get a hit record out of Aretha (and the time was right for the Memphis or Southern Soul sound of Atlantic) but the Columbia recordings are very enjoyable to jazz oriented fans. At this stage of the game I probable listen to the Columbias more often then the Atlantics. I'm wouldn't like to do without either body of work.

I have a 3CD compilation (Sunday Mornin' Classics) on Sony - think that will be enough... some good stuff, but even there, lots of "smart producer's ideas" and in general Aretha sounds somewhat... limited, boxed, lacking the space she'd get with Atlantic later on.

But that's just my impression and it might be wrong...

GA - The first one listed isn't the pre-Atlantic Columbia stuff. It's post-Atlantic (I guess Aretha went to Arista IIRC). Seeing that Sony logo could certainly lead one to believe that it's Columbia material. The second listing IS Columbia material.

Thanks, Harold. Do you have an opinion of her Arista material?

I don't think as highly of the Arista material as I do of earlier Aretha. She remains a fantastic talent but I don't care for the arrangements, production, rhythm sections, etc as much. In all honesty I lost interest in almost all contemporary R&B around the time Aretha went to Arista. It all started to sound like an imitation of itself, but with less groove and freedom. The rhythm sections were tight but not spontaneous and in Aretha's case, she sounded to me like she was mailing it in. Maybe I just od'd on that type of thing and it was a case of me getting older and not digging the newer things, but in all honesty it seemed like most of my musician friends jumped ship a little before I did.

Thanks, Harold. Do you have an opinion of her Arista material?

I don't think as highly of the Arista material as I do of earlier Aretha. She remains a fantastic talent but I don't care for the arrangements, production, rhythm sections, etc as much. In all honesty I lost interest in almost all contemporary R&B around the time Aretha went to Arista. It all started to sound like an imitation of itself, but with less groove and freedom. The rhythm sections were tight but not spontaneous and in Aretha's case, she sounded to me like she was mailing it in. Maybe I just od'd on that type of thing and it was a case of me getting older and not digging the newer things, but in all honesty it seemed like most of my musician friends jumped ship a little before I did.

I agree, there was an increasing uniformity and less and less individuality in the music. For me it began to go downhill in the 1970s.

• 1 month later...

Is there an equivalent box set for her Atlantic recordings? I have barely any Aretha and don't know where to start.

SIT, Here are 5 CDs for $20.13 that might interest you. I don't know what it would cost you to have it shipped to Australia.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Aretha-Fillmore-Spirit/dp/B003097AAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300071108&sr=1-1-catcorr

Is there an equivalent box set for her Atlantic recordings? I have barely any Aretha and don't know where to start.

There was this 4 CD box, which is a nice overview, but far from complete - I didn't buy it, as there were too many of my favourites missing.

41BrCFSl3pL._SS400_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

It seems to be almost conventional wisdon that Aretha's Columbia recordings are somehow inferior to the later Atlantic recordings. Not true. They are different...there are a lot more covers and a lot more standards but over the years they have stood up extremely well. Atlantic may have known how to get a hit record out of Aretha (and the time was right for the Memphis or Southern Soul sound of Atlantic) but the Columbia recordings are very enjoyable to jazz oriented fans.

This is very true. I have a number of the original Columbia records I bought from a used music store in San Diego many years ago. This specific store (they had one for records only) specialized in used records. And as I recall, the average price for the records (in good condition) was around $8-$12. Forget getting them now. But I was stunned to hear the many different styles she played. She did, jazz, soul, blues and standards. Most people know her from the Jerry Wexler Atlantic days but these early Columbia recordings are worth looking at.