Tune written off of someone's solos

Hardbopjazz

The Cy Touff-Richie Kamuca line "Prez-ence" (on the 1955 Pacific Jazz album "Cy Touff, His Octet and Quintet") is based on Lester Young's solo on "You're Driving Me Crazy" (Aladdin).

I believe that several Tristano-school lines (I'm thinking of Ted Brown, in particular) are similarly based on Pres solos but can't think of titles right now. Not quite the same thing, but on "On Stage -- The Bill Perkins Octet," the performances of "Song of the Islands" and "Let Me See" incorporate ensemble settings of Pres' solos on those Basie Band recordings. Similarly, the Woody Herman First Herd recording of "I've Got News For You," recorded Dec. 24, 1947 incorporates a splendidly played and scored (by Ralph Burns, not Shorty Rogers, to whom it long had been credited) sax section-setting for Bird's solo on take three of "Dark Shadows" recorded Feb. 19, 1947). "I've Got News For You" almost certainly was the inspiration for SuperSax.

The improvised closing cadenza of some Dizzy Gillespie solo (All the things you are?) became the main line of Tadd Dameron's If you could see me now.

Wasn't it the ending of Groovin' High?

EDIT: It appears in the second four bar phrase of each of the "A" sections of IYCSMN.

Edited by Free For All

Chick Corea's La Fiesta is based on Trane's Someday My Prince Will Come solo.

Never made this connection, but after listening to Trane's solo, I assume you're talking about the very opening phrase that mirrors what I think of as the "swinging bridge" melody of "La Fiesta." Has Chick ever acknowledged the link directly?

Another example: Trane's "Like Sonny" is from a Sonny Rollins phrase -- Sonny plays it on "My Old Flame" (I think) from Kenny Dorham's "Jazz Contrasts."

Edited by Mark Stryker

Chick Corea's La Fiesta is based on Trane's Someday My Prince Will Come solo.

Never made this connection, but after listening to Trane's solo, I assume you're talking about the very opening phrase that mirrors what I think of as the "swinging bridge" melody of "La Fiesta." Has Chick ever acknowledged the link directly?

Another example: Trane's "Like Sonny" is from a Sonny Rollins phrase -- Sonny plays it on "My Old Flame" (I think) from Kenny Dorham's "Jazz Contrasts."

Correct. The opening phrase is what Chick used. I want to say he acknowledged it and I think he did but damned if I can remember where.

Gil Evans's Copenhagen Sights is based on Wayne Shorter's solo on The Barbara Song on The Individualism of Gil Evans. And I think there's a Coleman Hawkins song based on a solo he did with Count Basie. (I'll try to check this later.)

Not sure I'm familiar with that, but I'm sure I probably should be. (I *love* "The Barbara Song". :wub: )

What Gil album(s) is it on?

Gil Evans's Copenhagen Sights is based on Wayne Shorter's solo on The Barbara Song on The Individualism of Gil Evans. And I think there's a Coleman Hawkins song based on a solo he did with Count Basie. (I'll try to check this later.)

Not sure I'm familiar with that, but I'm sure I probably should be. (I *love* "The Barbara Song". :wub: )

It first appeared on Live at the Public Theater, Vol. 2. The piece showed up on the 1983 Mole Jazz LP The British Orchestra, retitled "London." I'm not sure if that last one ever appeared on CD.

It first appeared on Live at the Public Theater, Vol. 2. The piece showed up on the 1983 Mole Jazz LP The British Orchestra, retitled "London." I'm not sure if that last one ever appeared on CD.

I've got a cd of it on a label called "TAA".

Just remembered another one. Lester Young's solo on a Count Baise record, don't recall what tune it was, but the new tune "Pound Cake" came out of it.

Don't know about that one, but Woody Herman had a chart where the head was pretty much the solo Lester played on "Pound Cake."

"Cousins" by John Coppola.

Just remembered another one. Lester Young's solo on a Count Baise record, don't recall what tune it was, but the new tune "Pound Cake" came out of it.

Don't know about that one, but Woody Herman had a chart where the head was pretty much the solo Lester played on "Pound Cake."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKIJEzl1CP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKIJEzl1CP0

Lovely clip. Thanks!