New: Robert Johnson -The Complete Original Masters

J.A.W.

the new issue is very good; Lasker is King of the High Frequencies, which can be adjusted if too noisy (check out the Ellington he did on the old GRP label). On the other hand, the old Robert Johnson issues were fixable but, as I pointed out elsewhere, it required a fair amount of re-equalization.

This new collection seems to me to be cleaner but less compressed than the 1990 release. (And it has one more track.) However the 1990 release has the advantage of having the lyrics transcribed which I appreciate since I an't always make them out even in the new version.

How do you settle that? To me it's like "the moon landing was faked." The people who believe are not going to be convinced.

I read in an article someplace - don't ask me where - that there is way to tell the correct speed by some sort of an electrical hum on the records.

Cool....check the 60 cycle hum!

Any more thoughts on this set from those of you who have purchased it?

On what, exactly?

The sound on the new release is stunning.The music is..... well, some of the greatest country blues songs ever put on record!

Ok, I could have been more precise. I am very familiar with the music. I think that the sound on the previous box circa 1990 sucked, but the sound on the mid 2000 single releases were very good.

So, has the speed of the recordings been altered, as far as folks can tell?

There's a massive thread (maybe two) about these new centennial relesaes on the Hoffman forum. There is no mention there that speed has been altered on the new versions.

I haven't bought the new two cd set yet, though I probably will this summer. My friend Dave, who is decidely NOT an audiophile, raves at how much better this new set sounds than the earliest two cd set which he has, and the one volume of the King of the Blues Singers he has. Surprises me that he hears that much difference.

Edited by jazzbo

I picked this up yesterday at J&R for $13.99 and I think it is better than an other cd releases of this material I have heard. I did a direct comparison the the CD issue of King of the Delta Blues Singers on Crossroads Blues - and one thing you quickly learn (and may account for why some find such a difference) as someone else pointed out in this thread is that King of Delta Blues Singers uses an alternate take.

But the real story is that when you compare the same takes, I noticed that KODBS image is much larger, but that image is sort of ghostly compared to a smaller, tighter, and higher fidelity image of the music that the new set has. I recommend it.

Bought the new CD set yesterday - looks and sounds good to me, but I've not compared to the late 90s disc I've got (never had/heard the earlier complete edition). The disc is around so cheap, I guess it won't do much harm to get it!

What's that other 2CD set with sons and fathers of Johnson? Worth getting? Anyone has an opinion on it yet?

413Zhd4aufL._SS400_.jpg

Tracklist

How do you settle that? To me it's like "the moon landing was faked." The people who believe are not going to be convinced.

I read in an article someplace - don't ask me where - that there is way to tell the correct speed by some sort of an electrical hum on the records.

Hmmm...are you sure it would be a 60 cycle hum? I remember the province of Ontario was still on 25 cycle power until the early 1950s, and that could have been the standard when/where the Johnson stuff was recorded.

And even then, the cycling of AC power wasn't always exact, so you can't count on that 100% as the reference.

Bought the new CD set yesterday - looks and sounds good to me, but I've not compared to the late 90s disc I've got (never had/heard the earlier complete edition). The disc is around so cheap, I guess it won't do much harm to get it!

What's that other 2CD set with sons and fathers of Johnson? Worth getting? Anyone has an opinion on it yet?

413Zhd4aufL._SS400_.jpg

Tracklist

That is a compilation of songs that either influenced Johnson, or are covers of Johnson, EXCEPT Bob Dylan, "A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall." Does anyone have an idea as to why they would include that track here?

Hmmm...are you sure it would be a 60 cycle hum? I remember the province of Ontario was still on 25 cycle power until the early 1950s, and that could have been the standard when/where the Johnson stuff was recorded.

And even then, the cycling of AC power wasn't always exact, so you can't count on that 100% as the reference.

I can't be sure because I'm not working on the mastering.

I'm not the biggest delta blues fan in the world, so to this point all I've had of Robert Johnson is two LPs. But the remastering and the pricing of the Centennial edition led me to the purchase of the new set.

I've played it through twice now, and I can't compare it anything but the LPs, but the sound and presentation of this release is excellent. My opininion is of no particular value, but I'll join others and recommend it.

Hellhound On My Ale

dfh_hellhound_bottle.png

2011 marks the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson who, according to legend, sold his soul down at the crossroads in a midnight bargain and changed music forever. Working again with our friends at Sony Legacy (yup, the same folks we did our Miles Davis-inspired Bitches Brew with), Dogfish Head pays tribute to this blues legend by gettin the hellhounds off his trail and into this finely-crafted ale.

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse, 10.0 ABV, 10.0 SRM in color, and dry-hopped with 100% centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we at Dogfish are stoked for this mighty musical centennial? To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the centennial hops (and as a shout out to Robert Johnsons mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson) we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occasional-rarities/hellhound-on-my-ale.htm

Here's some more affirmation for the new one from my good friend and blues expert John Valenteyn of the Toronto Blues Society: "...the sound is the best I've heard on CD. I compared it to several other Sony incarnations and the difference is breathtaking. I once heard a mint condition 78 and if my memory is any good this is almost the same quality. If they used some form of sound enhancement, they've certainly learned how to use it!"

• 2 months later...