Studio Recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet, 1965-68

Looks very interesting; added to my half.com want-list.

On a side note, I just realized I hadn't seen the cover to "E.S.P." in eons, such that I'd completely forgotten what it looked like. (My 'go-to' recordings of this material is the 65-68 box, and I guess I hadn't paged through it (or at least where the album-cover repros are) in eons.)

I ordered. But...

All I want to get is accurate/relevant technical musical analysis, the more technical the better, but only if it's accurate and relevant to the music being played.

It can be a damnably horrible book otherwise and I won't care. But if I don't get what I came for, I will be pissed and never forgive.

I ordered. But...

All I want to get is accurate/relevant technical musical analysis, the more technical the better, but only if it's accurate and relevant to the music being played.

It can be a damnably horrible book otherwise and I won't care. But if I don't get what I came for, I will be pissed and never forgive.

I think it's what you're looking for, Jim. I just got mine and can't vouch for accuracy, but a quick look-through reveals that the musical analysis is very detailed and technical. Probably way over my head for the most part, but I'll give it a go. Obviously has to be read with recordings at hand.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to dive in after the semester's done, but I've been skimming and it looks pretty interesting to me. I can see I'm going to have to listen to the recordings while reading the analysis of the tunes (I've always thought it interesting that "analysis" starts with a-n-a-l). :)

Edited by Free For All

• 5 months later...

I really liked this book. A lot of it DID go over my head, but large chunks of it didn't and it definitely increased my appreciation and understanding of the music. In particular, his discussion of how the quintet tackled form was extremely insightful to me.

I also really liked the discussion of the 1968 recordings - these seem to get short shrift in the bios I've read, aside from their importance as transitions between post-bop and jazz-rock. It's too bad he didn't continue the book into 1969 because a lot of interesting analysis could have been done on that too.

• 4 weeks later...

why such a difference in price between hardcover and paperback?

Academic sales for school libraries. They know it's a solid book and know folks will pay top dollar for this important book.

I read the first chapter last night and it is the real deal, top notch musicology. I'll be digging into it more later today.