My "new" Marantz 2230

Jim Alfredson

I bought this receiver for $15 at a Goodwill store about 7 years ago. It never worked and I finally got around to getting it fixed. Listening to Jimmy Smith's "Midnight Special" on it right now. It sounds gorgeous! And looks beautiful, too. They don't make 'em like they used to.

post-2-0-30857100-1302552229_thumb.jpg

I also had my dad's old Sansui AU-5500 repaired, which has been non-working for about 15 years. Haven't had a chance to hook that up yet as I'm enjoying the Marantz too much. When I started having kids, I sold all my stereo gear. Now that they're older, I have the desire to have a good home system again; something the whole family can enjoy.

I bought this receiver for $15 at a Goodwill store about 7 years ago. It never worked and I finally got around to getting it fixed. Listening to Jimmy Smith's "Midnight Special" on it right now. It sounds gorgeous! And looks beautiful, too. They don't make 'em like they used to.

post-2-0-30857100-1302552229_thumb.jpg

I also had my dad's old Sansui AU-5500 repaired, which has been non-working for about 15 years. Haven't had a chance to hook that up yet as I'm enjoying the Marantz too much. When I started having kids, I sold all my stereo gear. Now that they're older, I have the desire to have a good home system again; something the whole family can enjoy.

I had the same model as part of my first "high end" system back in the early 1970's, and liked it a lot. My apartment was broken into in the mid-70's, and this was one of the things the creeps made off with. :angry: When I could finally afford to replace the system, I got a good deal on a Kenwood receiver which served me well for another 20 years, but I still have fond memories of that Marantz and the many hours of listening pleasure it provided me.

The first decent stereo system I ever bought back in the early 70's, was powered by a Marantz 2270. I've had that unit ever since and it still runs like a top. I had it in the shop maybe 15 years ago for some minor repairs but other than that it works as well as it did on the first day I had it. As reliable as the day is long.

As I commented when Jim posted this on FB, this was the exact amp my dad had and the one I grew up listening to. I used to love putting on the headphones, turning out the lights and listening while looking at the cool blue lights. It really brings back memories. :)

EDIT: And if you ever decide to sell it, Jim, let me know. :excited:

Edited by Free For All

I love "vintage" audio gear.

As some folks here may already know, the audiokarma website is focused primarily on vintage audio. There's a dedicated Marantz forum there, and at least one tech who specializes in recapping/refurbishing that brand.

The 2230 is regarded as a particularly nice sounding model, even though it was relatively low in the line. Quite a few people say it sounds better than many of the higher powered models.

A nice example of Chuck's 2325 can bring many $100's of dollars, not that he would want to sell it. They are "collectible" and only going up in value. A restored one in great shape with the wood case sold on eBay recently for $1375!

I have a Marantz Model 20 tuner- their first solid state tuner- that I like a lot. I had the burned out bulbs replaced with blue LEDs that look great, along with a few caps replaced and an alignment. I could really use the cash and don't listen to radio that much but I can't bring myself to get rid of it...

The Marantz looks like my first receiver, bought from Crazy Eddie himself in 1972 (along with my Garrard Zero-100 and a pair of Martin speakers). I remember the lovely blue light emanating from the radio station frequency list (with the red from the pointer), and the smooth feel of the horizontal dial to change the radio station. But with time, the knobs and push buttons emitted much static, and I moved on to other things. Still, very fond memories.

• 4 weeks later...

The Dynaco system that was my Dad's when I was growing up had a sort of stereo to mono fade on the preamplifier, it had a five position switch that went from very stereo to very mono. Just the sort of thing a kid could drive himself insane experimenting with.