collecting 60s blue note jazz aint all that bad

BECAUSE ITS TOO EXPENSIVE, i seem to focus on collectin 60s blue note jazz, really its not all that bad, the albums did kind of become of real variety in the 60s, take for example donald byrd- mustang, which i cant imagine being recorded in 1958. would you agree that 60s blue notes were more varied, not in quality, i mean varied in style, i guess, while in the 50s, it was more all about bop, i dont know how to put it. which decade do you prefer?

The 60s is my favorite decade for Blue Note, although I generally buy them on CD (the vinyl is either too pricey or trashed). There is certainly more variety in that decade, because in addition to the players who came out of the hard bop era, you also get McCoy, Herbie, Shorter, Hill, Hutcherson. etc.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

All of the recordings released by Blue Note in the two decades being discussed were issued on vinyl. Please move this thread to the Vinyl sub-forum. Thank you.

So we move the entire (or nearly) 'Reissues' thread over to vinyl subforum? Get over it

As for the question - it's the 60s for me - questing, adventurous, varied. In two words Andrew Hill (all of whose recordings I own on CD so would be excluded from the Vinyl subforum)

edit: to answer Chewy's question

Edited by mjazzg

I think you're missing the point. I was subtly playing off of Sonnymax's continuous postings on Chewy's threads that they belong in the Vinyl forum.

Even Sonny understood it and came back with the perfect response so the rest of you should pay a little more attention.

I think you're missing the point. I was subtly playing off of Sonnymax's continuous postings on Chewy's threads that they belong in the Vinyl forum.

Even Sonny understood it and came back with the perfect response so the rest of you should pay a little more attention.

mea culpa. more attention will be paid. Still don't think it should be moved :)

No one seriously suggested moving this thread, including me. Chewy is posting his vinyl discussions in the vinyl forum, and posting his other discussions here and, presumably, elsewhere as well. I predict the vinyl forum will be enriched as a result of his interesting contributions. It's done. Get over it. Try following Chewy's example and contribute something positive, rather than trying to start an argument where one doesn't exist.

Edited by sonnymax

:shrug[1]:

chewy is sad,

i just wanted to tell u guys about how 60s blue notes are really spread out into all these diverse areas, when 50s ones, althouygh they cook, they like follow this bebop formula, of burner after burner after ballad after burner, thats awesome, but, say.....the albums become harder to compare. like how to you compare Caramba to Andrew Hill- Compulsion. :unsure:

:shrug[1]:

chewy is sad,

i just wanted to tell u guys about how 60s blue notes are really spread out into all these diverse areas, when 50s ones, althouygh they cook, they like follow this bebop formula, of burner after burner after ballad after burner, thats awesome, but, say.....the albums become harder to compare. like how to you compare Caramba to Andrew Hill- Compulsion. :unsure:

Don't be sad, Chewy. Even after two guys resolve a difference, it can take others a little while to realize "there ain't no fight". I appreciate your efforts to enliven the vinyl forum with your interesting posts about records. And I'm sure we all appreciate the energy and enthusiasm your bring to the board as a whole. Keep spinnin'.

Btw, my condo unit number is 33. Couldn't get them to add "1/3". ^_^