Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse

CJ Shearn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Agreed .... interestingly the tracks are seemingly chosen at will .... although I was tempted initially by the first three tracks to think numbers 1 + 3 could be "rejected tracks"

Lee Morgan Quintet

Lee Morgan (trumpet, flugelhorn) Bennie Maupin (tenor sax, flute, bass clarinet) Harold Mabern (piano) Jymie Merritt (electric upright bass) Mickey Roker (drums)

"The Lighthouse", Hermosa Beach, CA, 1st set, July 10, 1970
  The Beehive rejected
  Something Like This Blue Note 7243 8 35228 2 8
  Yunjanna / Speedball (theme) rejected

bu then the two remainig tracks don`t fit into the sequence/picture .... hmmh ,....

When did those tracks get changed from "unissued" (in the Cuscuna discography) to "rejected"? I was under the impression that the 3 CD box just grabbed the best take of the 13 tunes played during those 12 sets at the Lighthouse?

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ah. I hadn't found that yet. Could be, except the SHM does not sound like a BN Works TOCJ-era mastering, though that 1996 Japanese Lighthouse disc is not from that series. Nor does it sound like a RVG or 00s Japanese 24bit mastering to me.

Matrix ring says UCCQ-3009, not TOCJ-6039.

Edited by erwbol

9 hours ago, felser said:

First jazz album I ever bought.  And "Absolutions" is the cut that was my wakeup call on that album.

I've been listening to "Absolutions" on repeat for about four days now. A great track. Felser — what year did you purchase the album?

The opening date of the gig (before recording began) is the day I was born!

Erwbol — glad you're enjoying the music.

2 hours ago, Late said:

I've been listening to "Absolutions" on repeat for about four days now. A great track. Felser — what year did you purchase the album?

Bought it in late 1972.  First semester of college.  Had discovered jazz via "A Love Supreme" at my college library at the start of the semester, listened non-stop to WRTI, discovered Blue Note, and bought the Morgan album.

5 hours ago, Late said:

First time I heard any of this material it was on Canadian FM college radio and the track was ‘Absolutions’. The LP was long OOP and the CDs weren’t yet out so it was frustrating not to hear more of it.

Reread Bob Belden's notes from the 3-CD set this morning. The band played a two week engagement in San Francisco at the Both/And prior to The Lighthouse gig. The Both/And gig was recorded for SF radio, and became the source for bootleg LPs that mistakenly claimed the music was from Lighthouse outtakes.

If the 3-disc set is ever released again, I wonder if it could add the Both/And recordings.