Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse

CJ Shearn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So cool this smokin' set is being celebrated!

Chuck the digital, check the original vinyl......and 100's more soul jazz records, all with individual pictures.

http://stores.ebay.com/wattsjazz

I respectfully disagree. I have the original vinyl and though I love it too, I couldn't live without the rest of the music found on the three disc set. Of course, you're just marketing your ebay account so who knows what you really think.

So cool this smokin' set is being celebrated!

Chuck the digital, check the original vinyl......and 100's more soul jazz records, all with individual pictures.

http://stores.ebay.com/wattsjazz

I respectfully disagree. I have the original vinyl and though I love it too, I couldn't live without the rest of the music found on the three disc set. Of course, you're just marketing your ebay account so who knows what you really think.

Six String - you have a point, the vinyl has limited tracks. I still find something right about hearing the music in it's original form.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse (click to buy)

215477.jpg

start listening ahead if you'd like.

Thanks for the advice. I have recently got it. Listening now Disc 2 Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse (Blue Note edition). Great and intense concert.

BUT: I received a first boxset without booklet included, I exchanged it and the second one arrived AGAIN without booklet.

I was said that a 6 pages booklet should be included. Any information on it?

Thanks!

Edited by Scorpionjazz

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Speaking of Bennie Maupin, I exchanged emails with him recently and he said he was working on a new album with Dr. Patrick Gleason and that he would be in L.A. to play upon it's release.  I'm not sure how many other places he is going to play but this is very preliminary so I'm sure all will be revealed in time.  His last two on Cryptogramaphone were great imo.

1 hour ago, six string said:

Speaking of Bennie Maupin, I exchanged emails with him recently and he said he was working on a new album with Dr. Patrick Gleason and that he would be in L.A. to play upon it's release.  I'm not sure how many other places he is going to play but this is very preliminary so I'm sure all will be revealed in time.  His last two on Cryptogramaphone were great imo.

That sounds very cool.  Yeah, I've liked those two as well.  Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 year later...

Listened to Disc 1 of this set today. I'd forgotten how much I like this music. I find Maupin's playing to be very inspired by Joe Henderson. And something that struck me on this listening — I wonder if the original vinyl was at the Marsalis Home back in the day. Some of Lee's licks can be found in Wynton's playing circa 1982-83.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Now on sale for $500 there.About $80 on Discogs, and it's certainly worth that, though I think they did get the best of it onto the original album, so the single disc SHM is also a legit way to go.

I had no idea that the physical versions of that album were so high-priced. :o I have both the 2-LP and 3-CD sets, so I'm covered. 

UCCQ3009.jpg

UCCQ3009-2.jpg

Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse SHM-CD (UCCQ-3009)

First impressions: Not the same mastering as the 1996 3CD set. The SHM is less muddy, more of Roker's and DeJohnette's drums, pleasant cymbals sheen at the top. No excessive compression, bit higher levels, still crankable. Recommended.

Edited by erwbol

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

UCCQ3009.jpg

Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse SHM-CD (UCCQ-3009)

First impressions: Not the same mastering as the 1996 3CD set. The SHM is less muddy, more of DeJohnette's drums, pleasant cymbals sheen at the top. No excessive compression, bit higher levels, still crankable. Recommended.

Thnx for sharing ....

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

I just noticed the SHM-CD contains only two tracks from the original 2 LP set ( https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Morgan-Live-At-The-Lighthouse/release/1938710 ): Beehive and Nommo.

SHM-CD

1. Introduction by Lee Morgan
  2. Beehive
  3. Something Like This
  4. Speedball
  5. Nommo
  6. The Sidewinder

Vinyl

1. Absolutions
  2. The Beehive
  3. Neophilia
  4. Nommo

Well, that is bizarre. I am guessing that someone in Japan really messed up. That's not the way they usually do these CDs at all.

Can you check to make sure that the music on the SHM-CD matches the original LP? Maybe someone just messed up the text?

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Well, that is bizarre. I am guessing that someone in Japan really messed up. That's not the way they usually do these CDs at all.

Can you check to make sure that the music on the SHM-CD matches the original LP? Maybe someone just messed up the text?

No, it really is a different track selection. I am fine with that, because I haven't lived with this music for decades like others here have.

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

No, it really is a different track selection. I am fine with that, because I haven't lived with this music for decades like others here have.

I'm not.  First jazz album I ever bought.  And "Absolutions" is the cut that was my wakeup call on that album.

2 hours ago, felser said:

I'm not.  First jazz album I ever bought.  And "Absolutions" is the cut that was my wakeup call on that album.

Agreed .... interestingly the tracks are seemingly chosen at will .... although I was tempted initially by the first three tracks to think numbers 1 + 3 could be "rejected tracks"

Lee Morgan Quintet

Lee Morgan (trumpet, flugelhorn) Bennie Maupin (tenor sax, flute, bass clarinet) Harold Mabern (piano) Jymie Merritt (electric upright bass) Mickey Roker (drums)

"The Lighthouse", Hermosa Beach, CA, 1st set, July 10, 1970
  The Beehive rejected
  Something Like This Blue Note 7243 8 35228 2 8
  Yunjanna / Speedball (theme) rejected

bu then the two remainig tracks don`t fit into the sequence/picture .... hmmh ,....

Edited by soulpope

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Agreed .... interestingly the tracks are seemingly chosen at will .... although I was tempted initially by the first three tracks to think numbers 1 + 3 could be "rejected tracks"

Lee Morgan Quintet

Lee Morgan (trumpet, flugelhorn) Bennie Maupin (tenor sax, flute, bass clarinet) Harold Mabern (piano) Jymie Merritt (electric upright bass) Mickey Roker (drums)

"The Lighthouse", Hermosa Beach, CA, 1st set, July 10, 1970
  The Beehive rejected
  Something Like This Blue Note 7243 8 35228 2 8
  Yunjanna / Speedball (theme) rejected

bu then the two remainig tracks don`t fit into the sequence/picture .... hmmh ,....

Track times for all tunes on the SHM-CD match those in the 3CD set's booklet.

SHM-CD

1. Introduction by Lee Morgan [2:00]
  2. Beehive [15:17]
  3. Something Like This [13:01]
  4. Speedball [11:54]
  5. Nommo [17:50]
  6. The Sidewinder [13:40]
Edited by erwbol