Perfect Miles Davis Collection

mjzee

Decoy is pretty quirky (in an interesting way, I think) & Star People is just all-round great playing by all. But both are definitely electric/electronic and not at all based in 50s or 60s notions of "swing", so if that's a deal-breaker, consider the deal broken.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had any desire to get We Want Miles, Decoy or Star People. Am I missing anything?

I agree with Jim that Decoy is a pretty interesting album. On We Want Miles, Davis' lip is not back yet, and the band is pretty tentative at times. But I wouldn't want to be without that album just because of "My Man's Gone Now" - it brings a lump to my throat.

I've always liked We Want Miles - it was such a relief after The Man With The Horn. I see it as the link between his mid-70's period and what came later in the '80's. My feelings may be colored by the fact that I sat in the 8th row for the NY show on the record. Really good music with a lot of energy - check it out.

'We Want Miles' has really grown on me over the years. Didn't like it that much when it came out - however there is some very incisive playing. Plus Al Foster in particular is very much on form and his power is captured very well in Teo's production.

'Decoy' is one that I have played over the years again and again. Some weak spots in places for sure (I don't much likme the live Montreal tracks) - but a very interesting listen.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

For someone just discovering Miles Davis I was quite impressed with this box set. I'm uploading to ITunes as we speak and plan to sit back and enjoy a bottle of red wine and listen to as many of the 20+ CD's that I can. Stop being such collector snobs - if you already have them then you don't need to buy this set.

• 2 weeks later...