Perfect Miles Davis Collection

mjzee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to In Concert today, and was thinking how, at times, it was near perfect. But I guess it isn't.

Anyone else have a fondness for this live session?

davis_miles_milesdavi_122b.jpg

Oh yes! I no longer remember the precise timing but perfection doesn't occur until 3 to 5 minutes into "Rated X." From that point on disc 1 is indeed perfect. I confess I've hardly played disc 2 simply because of the near perfection of disc 1.

I assume this will be followed up in the new year with a cube of all the other albums - 'The Imperfect Miles Davis Collection'.

Do record companies now have dedicated departments working out all the different ways they can 'realise their assets' to the maximum?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I don't see what the problem is. This isn't designed to appeal to people who have an extensive Miles Davis collection (presumably there isn't anything exclusive to the box), and it is significantly cheaper than the larger Columbia box that came out. So for people who might have the odd Miles Davis album this looks as if it would be an excellent way to purchase a wide-ranging selection of great jazz. Even if people don't have any jazz they might be willing to take a chance on something at this price point.

Anything that encourages people to take the plunge has to be a good thing, at least in my book.

The only problem is that it amounts to resources being focussed on recordings that are readily available (in this case in a fair few formats). I can only assume from a business point of view selling the same thing multiple ways works and brings in the profits.

I know its naive to expect it but I'd just prefer Sony to use those resources to get issued OOP music from its catalogue...or, dare I suggest it, focus on encouraging new music (I know, silly idea)!

I'm pretty dubious about great blocks of music being good entry points, anyway. Having come to this music over many years, disc by disc, I'm not convinced a novice buying this will have anything like the same pleasure of gradual exploration and unfolding.

I wonder how many of these boxes (The complete Bach Cantatas etc) sit on shelves with most discs unplayed.

But this is all about commerce.

Personally...and I know its not a popular option...I'd go for doing what labels like Chandos or Hyperion do in the classical world. Everything they have ever released is there to download (and most is physically available). So you can slowly explore it disc by disc. They've done a few blockbuster sets (a huge Liszt one recently on Hyperion) but I imagine for most listeners slowly moving through the music that interests you is going to be the most rewarding approach.

Yes, you can buy the box and explore it slowly yourself. But I just have a hunch that a lot of these things get bought because 'it will be cheaper this way' and then sit on shelves.

I know I've a few by people I though I might like and then lost interest in.

I'm pretty dubious about great blocks of music being good entry points, anyway. Having come to this music over many years, disc by disc, I'm not convinced a novice buying this will have anything like the same pleasure of gradual exploration and unfolding.

I wonder how many of these boxes (The complete Bach Cantatas etc) sit on shelves with most discs unplayed.

But this is all about commerce.

Yes, you can buy the box and explore it slowly yourself. But I just have a hunch that a lot of these things get bought because 'it will be cheaper this way' and then sit on shelves.

I know I've a few by people I though I might like and then lost interest in.

Well, I can see that, though there are certainly some artists I would only have gotten in a substantial box set, mostly the Sony OJC Collections. I have less of a problem with the giant set approach with classical music than jazz.

But it is probably fair to say with most sets, I go through the box once and then don't return to it for quite a long time.

I doubt it is diverting resources - I can't imagine Sony are trying to decide whether to release a Miles Davis box set or reissue some obscure recordings. The fact that they are releasing the bootleg box shows that they haven't stopped releasing things that will appeal to the likes of us (who is to say that this won't end up subisidizing the second volume of that).

In the case of a set like this I think that it does give a pretty good overview of the music at least from the late 50s to the early 70s. Chances are if you don't like any of it you're not likely to enjoy this era(s) of jazz (I know this is an over-simplification but I think it is a great primer in that there is a pretty big variety in the recordings included). My entry point was the Ken Burns set of discs and the negativity that was directed towards that would imply that I shouldn't have been given that opportunity. We need to be careful not to insist that people follow the same path to the music as we did (and to be clear I'm not suggesting that this is what you are doing, just that people often have a tendency to become purists and feel the need to protect their interests from late-comers - you see it with early fans of bands that become popular).

Ultimately we have to be realistic - jazz is no longer commercial (and hasn't been for a long time). Anything that results in more people buying jazz cds is something that I'd have a hard time railing against. And if people buy something that they don't end up getting value out of it then that is their loss - worst case scenario is that a record label turns a profit. It is commerce.

Incidentally I'd have no issue with an all-download approach if it meant getting the music out there. But I'm certainly not going to criticize Sony for issuing this set.

The biggest box I own is the Ellington RCA set - there I was dealing with music, much of which couldn't be obtained any other way at the time. It was also music I knew I'd enjoy and explore for decades to come.

Most of the boxes I have are of music unavailable elsewhere - a dozen or so Mosaics, various collections of live or unreleased material by musicians I really like. Or sets that give a broad survey of music I know I don't want to explore all the way.

The classical doorsteps have no appeal at all. I'm guilty of buying (downloading these days) several discs at once of a current craze; but generally, I like the one at a time approach. There's something of a 'One-Stop-Shop-To-Being-Cultured' about these 'complete Mozart' things.

My entry point was the Ken Burns set of discs and the negativity that was directed towards that would imply that I shouldn't have been given that opportunity. We need to be careful not to insist that people follow the same path to the music as we did (and to be clear I'm not suggesting that this is what you are doing, just that people often have a tendency to become purists and feel the need to protect their interests from late-comers - you see it with early fans of bands that become popular).

Oh, I'm far from suggesting people follow the same path I did. It would be impossible - most of the catalogue was OOP then. Much had to be acquired on imports on rare visits to London. Very different today when, in the case of a huge icon like Miles Davis, nearly everything (and more) is available.

I'm all for encouraging as wide a body of people as possible to hear this music. But something like ESP, for example, is out there for around a fiver. A pretty inexpensive way to dip your toe in the water.

I know exactly what you mean about established jazz fans protecting their interests from late-comers! Being from the class of '76, coming in on the back of jazz-rock, I've encountered that from older jazz fans on more than one occasion!

... There's something of a 'One-Stop-Shop-To-Being-Cultured' about these 'complete Mozart' things.

Well, there's certainly that, but I do think these "bricks" are a huge step up from the Reader's Digest like LPs back in the day that merely collected the most famous movements or arias. These collections still appear occasionally, but have mostly been crowded out by these sets with complete symphonies and/or orchestral works.

... There's something of a 'One-Stop-Shop-To-Being-Cultured' about these 'complete Mozart' things.

Well, there's certainly that, but I do think these "bricks" are a huge step up from the Reader's Digest like LPs back in the day that merely collected the most famous movements or arias. These collections still appear occasionally, but have mostly been crowded out by these sets with complete symphonies and/or orchestral works.

Oh, they are still there. Amazon is full of this sort of thing:

51KGZNB4GCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The cover keeps changing while the same pieces - usually advert or TV theme linked - stay much the same.

I don't really have a problem with these. Most people only every buy a few recordings. They like the tunes and so want a copy to play every now and then.

The nightmare I recall from 'back in the day' (early/mid 70s) was:

140.jpg

('Classics with a Beat'...I'm sure there were loads of these (a version of Mozart 40 made the singles charts) but can't find many covers on Google. Clearly a cultural phenomena that has been soundly excised from history).

At least we've not had a 'classics with a techno-beat' fad...though I do recall hearing a version of the Barber Adagio with a drum machine thumping out the beat.

('Classics with a Beat'...I'm sure there were loads of these (a version of Mozart 40 made the singles charts) but can't find many covers on Google. Clearly a cultural phenomena that has been soundly excised from history).

At least we've not had a 'classics with a techno-beat' fad...though I do recall hearing a version of the Barber Adagio with a drum machine thumping out the beat.

Ah yes, Hooked on Classics ...

755552.jpg

Which is probably just an ancestor to this LP:

220px-Switched_On_Bach.jpg

To be fair, one of my favorite LPs from my Dad's collection was some kind of reworked Scarlatti session -- not quite rock but certainly not an accurate period piece. It had these two serving wenches on the cover. BaroquePopsLoveScarlatti.jpgIt looked a fair bit like this "Love Scarlatti" LP but it was some other album. Wonder if I'll ever track that down.