Irene

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On most occaions although I would be concerned, I probably wouldn't be too stressed about an oncoming storm. Except this time around besides looking after my own home, I'm also taking care of my mom's home. Her house is on the market and I really don't need any complications like a tree falling on the roof or the basement flooding. I refuse to watch the weather channel or any of the network broadcasts at this point. It's really upsetting me big time. I don't think I'll be getting much sleep the next 48 hours.

Here in NYC mayor Moneybags Bloomberg ordered all public transportation closed by noon tomorrow. This cowardly and mean-spirited act was to cover his phoney-baloney ass, since when the blizzard hit here last Dec. the asshole was in sunny, funny Bermuda or something. He should have stayed there b/c his leadership was a world-class fuckup. So now, like all politicians late in the game worried about their 'legacies' he's gonna shut the MF down so everyone will be stuck. All to assuage his capacious ego and so he can say 'see? I acted responsibly during the hurricane'. Way to go, genius. 2 1/2 years of this dickhead's tenure and counting left.

As for me, I brought a car home from the car service (my 'hustle gig') and committed to coming in tomorrow when I could have bowed out. (I originally had an outdoor gig which is obviously off, but can't afford to lose a day's pay). I'm even dumber than Bloomberg for agreeing to this b/c at best we'll work half a day in increasingly dangerous conditions and then I'll be stranded and won't be able to get home.

I guess the problem is I'm even poorer than I am dumber than Bloomberg....

Here in NYC mayor Moneybags Bloomberg ordered all public transportation closed by noon tomorrow. This cowardly and mean-spirited act was to cover his phoney-baloney ass, since when the blizzard hit here last Dec. the asshole was in sunny, funny Bermuda or something. He should have stayed there b/c his leadership was a world-class fuckup. So now, like all politicians late in the game worried about their 'legacies' he's gonna shut the MF down so everyone will be stuck. All to assuage his capacious ego and so he can say 'see? I acted responsibly during the hurricane'. Way to go, genius. 2 1/2 years of this dickhead's tenure and counting left.

As for me, I brought a car home from the car service (my 'hustle gig') and committed to coming in tomorrow when I could have bowed out. (I originally had an outdoor gig which is obviously off, but can't afford to lose a day's pay). I'm even dumber than Bloomberg for agreeing to this b/c at best we'll work half a day in increasingly dangerous conditions and then I'll be stranded and won't be able to get home.

Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't...don't like him in the least, but....when would you shut the subways down??? What if the storm sped up a bit, arrived sooner??? What if the subways started to flood with SALT water, and got stuck, and dozens/hundreds drowned??? Plus, the people that work with Mass Transit need to be safe as well...

Again, a lot of hyperbole, but when you hear that the Holland tunnel may fill with water...hopefully, it's not the disaster many are predicting, but better to be pissed off and stuck in the home/apartment for a weekend, than dead.

Again, damned if you do, damned if you don't...don't like him in the least, but....when would you shut the subways down??? What if the storm sped up a bit, arrived sooner??? What if the subways started to flood with SALT water, and got stuck, and dozens/hundreds drowned??? Plus, the people that work with Mass Transit need to be safe as well...

Again, a lot of hyperbole, but when you hear that the Holland tunnel may fill with water...hopefully, it's not the disaster many are predicting, but better to be pissed off and stuck in the home/apartment for a weekend, than dead.

Yeah, well maybe I 'doth protest too much' in blowing off steam, but I've seen this guy in action for well neigh a decade now and I know how bullheaded he is. And I reiterate he's pre-emptively striking at least in part so he doesn't look bad in the aftermath. Politicians are a breed apart. And to add insult to injury this NY mayor has a thick Boston accent. Long 'a's and such. I hear Schwartenegger's looking for a gig. NYers, let's float him. Got to think of the future...

On the other hand I hear what you're saying, and if his actions save lives I'll be the first one to praise them. He's the leader and we all best hope he knows what he's doing. I just hope he does his homework, and he probably has. Whatever else he is he's far from stupid, regardless of my tirade. And I'm sure he's getting good advice, antyway I sure as hell hope so. Anyway it's not like this is the first hurricane to hit NY. I remember Donna when I was a child. We got through that one so I guess we'll get through Irene.

My wife's between Philly and the NJ coast, and very nervous. I'm nervous as well.

To stay, or traveling, or ??? We're in Philly this weekend. Happy to help if I can. Send me a PM if so.

Appreciate the offer, Peter. She lives there part of the time, out a little past Cherry Hill. She's got a number of friends in the city if she decides she wants to go there instead.

All the rain and 24 hours of sustained wind is going to take down a lot of trees and a lot of power lines for an extraordinary number of people. That's a given.

The question that remains is whether the NYC subway and the airports will get flooded.

Now I see that the forecast is keeping the storm at least partially over water; that means it stays stronger than it would have it went more ashore and stayed over land. Won't intensify but I would expect at minimum sustained, very strong tropical-storm force winds with hurricane-force gusts. That is if they are erring on the side of caution and it doesn't maintain its hurricane status.

My mother is 78 and alone in a house set deep in the CT woods (Dad has been in a nursing home for the last few weeks) surrounded by a lot of very old trees. We're concerned about the risk of trees making the driveway impassable as well as the potential for any of them to crash into the house. This summer has seen two trees come down over the driveway, at different times during what was seemingly normal weather. So you have to wonder what will happen when Irene blows through.

The worst is behind us here. Still experiencing gusts. A couple of the older piers at Atlantic and Emerald lost their ends. We have minimal debris. No downed trees. Just leaves and pine tags. My neighbor has a couple of decent sized pine limbs in the yard.

I'm pumping water from my crawl space with a sump pump.

Flooding in low lying areas will be the biggest risk. The Outer Banks are extremely vulnerable to this storm, as is the northern neck region of VA and the Eastern Shore.

I am thankful that the storm had weakened as much as it has, but the amount of rainfall and surge it will bring to coastal areas has major potential for disaster.

Dr. Lyons gave a 20% chance of surge compromising Manhattan flood walls and flooding subway.

I hope your mother fares well Dan. I hope my experience just 50 miles from landfall is comforting.

Dan, hope your Mom rides the storm out without any major issues!

I haven't been able to find out if a storm surge is weakened along with the eye (what there is of one) going over land....about as hard a rain as I have ever seen, and morons are driving around Virginia Beach!

looking at the radar off of Wilmington's coast, it sure doesn't look like the storm is moving 15 MPH, does it??? Looks like it's center isn't moving up the coast, just spinning, which would be really bad news, in case you all didn't know that. :rolleyes:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=34.24169922&lon=-77.94360352&zoom=8&pin=Wilmington%2c%20NC&type=hyb&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Edited by BERIGAN

We just got our first period of torrential rain here in RI which lasted about 30 minutes. Its expected to begin sustained rain and wind later today and be potentially hairy here tonight and tomorrow. You can't buy a gallon of water or a d battery here today. I got all the water we will need on Tuesday. Could still use a couple of d batteries though.

The worst is behind us here. Still experiencing gusts. A couple of the older piers at Atlantic and Emerald lost their ends. We have minimal debris. No downed trees. Just leaves and pine tags. My neighbor has a couple of decent sized pine limbs in the yard.

Glad to hear it!

In the DC area the worst is supposed to be from 10 pm to 5 am. Annapolis is already flooding.

Neal

Norfolk looks bad, based on photos from friends. Still no cable so I haven't seen Seidel standing in the surf fully clothed gasping and stammering for almost 12 hours now. I know what Dan is saying about folks not respecting weather, but it is folks like Seidel that set up shots into the wind, camera 100 yards away to decrease visibility etc that piss me off.

Lots of reports of downed trees in Richmond VA. Lots of reports of downed trees AND widespread flooding in Norfolk VA.

Please folks, take this situation seriously and encourage others to do so. Neal you seem to have a grasp on the situation. Keep us posted from up there. We've had dry bands for hours now! Still windy, and I'm still pumping water!

quoting a wise earlier aloc post from a couple of day ago:

"it's hard to know what to believe from the media and their dire storm forecasts.

the main, if not only, goal is to attract eyeballs, ratings, and attention.

i generally regard most of these severe warnings with a skeptical eye.

just one big storm has gone up the hudson, as i recall."