POLL: Who Is Number 5?

Indestructible!

Who Is The Fifth Most Influential Tenor Sax Player In Jazz History?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE...Listen to Prince Robinson play on/in Immigration Blues. I will not give up. :ph34r:

Chuck. are you pulling our appendages?

My copy:

Duke Ellington - The Private Collection 1924 \ Duke Ellington - The Private Collection - Vol 1\CD 1\13

The tenor plays eight bars of melody in the low register and sounds like he's a doubler fighting a borrowed leaky horn.

Hope I'm not out of line.

PLEASE...Listen to Prince Robinson play on/in Immigration Blues. I will not give up. :ph34r:

Chuck. are you pulling our appendages?

My copy:

Duke Ellington - The Private Collection 1924 \ Duke Ellington - The Private Collection - Vol 1\CD 1\13

The tenor plays eight bars of melody in the low register and sounds like he's a doubler fighting a borrowed leaky horn.

Hope I'm not out of line.

I have the same question. But assuming that Chuck isn't pulling our chain, I have two more questions:

1) Steve Lasker's liner notes to "Early Ellington" say that "The second reedman [on the "Immigration Blues" date] ... has never been positively identified by discographers".

2) If you are genuinely enamored of those eight bars on "Immigration Blues," why assume that what one hears there is unique to Robinson or whomever? A lot of jazz had been played on the saxophone by Dec. 29, 1926, and while my knowledge of recorded jazz of that era is certainly not comprehensive, I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson (or whoever) had stylistic predecessors.

As for early Bechet versus early Armstrong, here they are in 1924:

Just speculating, but I would say that Bechet's arguably greater rhythmic fluidity at this point in their lives (Bechet age 27, Armstrong age 24) is mostly the result of Bechet's greater mastery of his instrument(s) -- he rides the soprano and the clarinet like a champion bronc buster -- while Armstrong's sense of where he wanted to get to as a soloist to was already a bit more long-lined/horizontal-dramatic that Bechet's. Another way to put it would be that Bechet's horns almost seem like literal extensions of his physical being and breath, while Armstrong is still playing the cornet, the way one might drive a car.

ok listening to this right now ( I'd voted Shorter by the way). I presume that's Prince opening the proceedings with a growling like solo which on reflection does sound pretty "modern" for 1926. Lovely track BTW. Any particular players claimed him as an influence?

Of the 10 names to choose from I like Ben Webster most folowed by Chu Berry and Dexter Gordon. Not on the list: Don Byas, Stan Getz, Lucky Thompson, Paul Gonsalves. But me liking these players does not mean they are influencial. I read somewhere that at music schools saxophone pupils have to learn Gonsalves solo's by heart.

I'd say Ayler because Byas, Webster & Berry are pretty much extensions of the Hawkins tradition and Ayler was pretty much sui generis.

Number 5 Ben Webster admitted that Johnny Hodges was a primary influence on him. He sounds like it. The Lucky-Byas-Golson-Shepp-etc. line descends from Webster.

Chu Berry is a wonder in that Mosaic box. Gonsalves can sound like Berry stretching out. That's a compliment.

Number 5 Ben Webster admitted that Johnny Hodges was a primary influence on him. He sounds like it.

I think he was referring to his ballad style that he developed while with Duke, when he worked alongside Hodges, rather than his earlier style. But in that case he's a tenor in the Bechet lineage via Hodges.

Boots Randolph.

A bit more seriously, I'd have to go with Stan Getz. While he came out of Pres harmonically, he had a distinctive tone that many tried to emulate. And then he had the bossa thing that many others got into. (Even Hawk had a boss album.)

So thinking strictly in terms of influence ...

Dex influenced a few - Ricky Ford comes to mind. So did Wardell, one of the first to successfully blend Pres and Bird (...and a bit of Hawk, at times). Bit the list of Pres-influenced players goes on and on.

I haven't got the perspective to vote, but I love the recordings I have by all of the choices. Especially Wayne, Joe, and Stanley. And Hank. And Sonny. And Dexter. And Gene.

And Ben and Chu. And I'll probably dig Ayler too when I get there. And Zoot is great.

Excuse my ignorance, but who did Ayler influence???

Ayler was one of those game-changing musicians whose influence extends beyond his instrument to an entire movement. He was a prime influence on the "energy" free jazz players. And he was, along with Cecil Taylor, one of the prime exemplars that jazz could be jazz without conventional tonality or regular pulse; as such he influenced not only young musicians like the AACM guys, but established musicians like Don Cherry, Jimmy Giuffre, and Paul Bley. But limiting it to tenor saxophonists, how about:

Peter Brotzmann

Pharoah Sanders

Ken Vandermark

David Murray

Evan Parker

Mats Gustafsson

Charles Gayle

John Gilmore

and maybe even John Coltrane toward the end.

Edit: Saw Jim's post just after I posted this.

Edited by jeffcrom

Sorry all, I meant to put Stan Getz on the list instead of Stan Turrentine. Although, to be honest, I far prefer Turrentine over Getz... but I certainly recognize that in any discussion regarding "influential" that Getz likely influenced more players than Turrentine.

Chuck, I'm definitely going to check Prince out to try and hear what you're hearing.

I voted for Ayler, mainly for the reasons Jeff posted above. I do wonder though... did John Gilmore influence Ayler more than Ayler influenced Gilmore?