Making the next album: CD or MP3/FLAC only?

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm open minded/eared, and look forward to this album, but it won't be the same without Joe.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ralph this weekend. Besides being a wonderful, warm person, he's a fantastic guitar player as well. I miss Joe, too, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps more than just surprised -- Randy and Jim have found a worthy successor.

Jim -- regarding this CD debate -- if you go the download route, please do it in loss-less (preferably FLAC) format. You, the band, and so many others, spend so much time and money getting this recording sounding just the way you want, I'd hate to see it potentially comprised by MP3 compression. If I could download what is effectively the same thing as the CD, that would be far preferable over MP3s. A PDF booklet would be a nice touch, too.

And, yes, I'm fully aware that MP3 compression above a certain (arbitrary?) bit-rate is sonically indistinguishable over the actual CD... but, I don't care. Server bandwidth is relatively inexpensive.

It's taken me many years to comes to terms with it, but Chuck is right.

FLAC files, PDF booklet, please.

Edited by Uncle Skid

Jim,

I assume you are recording this digitally, correct? If so, I'll delete my vote for LP. LPs of digitally recorded sessions are really not necessary unless the mastering engineer messes up the CD version. I've been buying a lot of vinyl these days because many (most?) of today's CDs sound like crap with all of the dynamics squashed flat. I doubt your CD would fall into that category.

Kevin

Ok, so the consensus is to make a physical CD. That means we need to raise money. We've done a decent job in the past with the private pre-orders but I'm thinking this time around to take it to Kickstarter and see if we can raise enough to do a full run of 1,000 discs for regular folk and radio and maybe a special run of 100 discs with different art / packaging for the collectors. And maybe have enough left over to do a mild media push (radio / press).

To do that would take about $8-10k. Without the media push it would be $5-7k. Considering the folks here and on other forums and social networking sites I'm involved in, I think it may be possible. Thoughts?

One idea I've been contemplating is doing a very limited run, say 300 discs, like I did with my solo release. Send 100 to the top jazz stations that supported us the most last time around (instead of the usual 250) and then have 200 for sale on the web. Once they're gone, they are gone.

Is there any reason, based on the number of "CD" comments here and the whopping 18 votes in the poll, to believe you need more than 200 for sale on the web? You mention how many boxes of CDs you have in your attic, isn't this new plan of 1000 copies just another recipe for more boxes in the attic?

I strongly encourage to stick with your original alternative: very limited run of CDs for those who prefer them, send some to radio stations, MP3 and FLAC downloads.

I think you're right. But we'll still need money.

Any thoughts on Kickstarter? Anybody here used it in any form?

There are a couple of sites like this. I had a theatre company that used IndyGoGo. I think you want one (like IndyGoGo) that even if you don't make the campaign target amount, you still get the proceeds. At least a few of these sites, if you don't hit the target, you get nada.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're right. But we'll still need money.

Any thoughts on Kickstarter? Anybody here used it in any form?

Jim, please look into Kickstarter. My conversations with other musicians who have used it is very positive. Also, there is a group of us out there who are quite enthused about funding these types of projects. You should poke around the site and see the ingenuous offers that some musicians are using to tier the different funding levels, including some that include concert tickets to shows, allowing a funder to name a song on the album, names of other tier funders to appear in the album liner notes, personal concert for "gold member" funding. One musician I saw had a New-York-only funding tier of album download & album cd (autographed) & personal delivery of his own personal recipe banana bread. I'm not saying you have to cook for funders, just pointing out that your imagination is a valuable tool for crowd funding appeals.

Good luck.

Cheers.

How about soliciting some feedback on a pre-order/fundraising/CD. People could e-mail or PM Jim and say "I'd be willing to pay $50 (or whatever) to get a CD. Sort of a low-key way to express interest and for Jim to do a "temperature check". It seems like past CDs have been supported through both CD sales and this sort of contribution. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I live out in the boonies and satellite is my only practical means of Internet access. Cable, DSL and wireless aren't available in my area and dial-up at 14.4 baud is completely out of the question. A major disadvantage of satellite is that there are restrictions on my bandwidth usage. My connect speed will be halved if I exceed my monthly allotment so I have to monitor my usage very carefully. For that reason I refrain from downloading utube videos, entire CDs, or even the latest updates for MS Office and that's why I need to purchase your music on CDs.