Classic Coleman Hawkins Sessions Available for Preorder!

I have a feeling the sound quality will be similar to the recent Lunceford set (which was VERY acceptable), I think there are quite a few tracks from the 20s, they may be rougher. I agree with everyone who sided with having less noise reduction, because in the end you will be exposed to more of the music that was really recorded, instead of a sterile, reduced, over-digitized, version of what the engineer thinks it should sound like.

Also, I have ALWAYS found Mosaic to present the best possible sound that they can with the earliest source recordings. They are the BEST at what they do.

I think the sound engineer on this set, Andreas Meyer, is really hitting his stride with Mosaic. I, at first, did not care for the Artie Shaw set he did, but have since changed my tune.

All in all, I can't wait, and for those who are hesitant to buy, I'll try to write a short review.

With all that said....I MISS Malcolm Addey, what happened to him?! I don't think he has done a Mosaic set in some time, now that was a remastering expert...but I digress.

Edited by Jazz Nut

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks gang. I'm convinced. I think I just wanted to be convinced. Still loving the Ellington set.

Mark

The Ellington Big Band set or the Small Groups? I would say, for comparison sake, the sound on the new Hawkins set will be at least as good as the Ellington Big Band set. :g:D:w

Ah, crap, with all this talk about the set, NOW I'm getting excited!!! It's nice to know that there are people out there that enjoy a new Mosaic release as much or more than me :tup:excited:

Now the website says late November. Well....it's less than a month away.

• 2 weeks later...

The release date of the Hawkins set has been put back until mid/late December. No idea why it is delayed.

Hmmm... I've have nothing under the tree this Christmas

WTF?!?!?! CrAzY.

Frustrating. I was hoping to have this in my hands a week or two from now... :tdown

Thanks for the heads up.

Frustrating but still good to know. I was on the fence about a pre-order, but had basically decided to wait out of fiscal prudence (just had to buy a new computer and still am saving up for a commuter bicycle that I was supposed to be getting this month :( ). With the delay, I'll just have to suck up the extra cost and have it sent to Canada, so there really isn't any rush any more.

have it sent to Canada

Is that a kind of punishment for recalcitrant box sets? Is it a bit like being sent to Coventry? Is the presence of Hawk likely to foment discontent across the border? Will the authorities even let him leave? Can they clip his wings? Does some warped version of chaos theory predict that the flight of the Hawk will precipitate the long-awaited Canadian Spring? Noooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I counted correctly there will be 190 tracks in this new set (including breakdowns) 18 are previously unissued.

Comparing this set with the Affinity set there are 47 tracks overlapping. The Affinity set covers the years 1929-1941, the Mosaic 1922-1947. The Affinity has no Fletcher Henderson, (Little)Chocolad Dandies, Lionel Hampton, McKinney's Cotton Pickers nor the Benny Carter 30 January 1940 session. For the sake of completenes also missing are the 3 sessions with Spike Hughes, the Varisty Seven 14 December 1939 and 15 January 1940 sessions and the Quintones session of 2 February, 1940.

Of the European recordings 5 takes recorded for Dutch Decca were not availlable or overlooked at the time of issue of the Affinity. Otherwise it's complete. :smirk:

Besides the Affinity, the Mosaic (190 tracks) shows an overlap of 31 tracks with the JSP (out of 104) and 20 with the Proper (out of 89).

Still a no-brainer, methinks.

F

The release date of the Hawkins set has been put back until mid/late December. No idea why it is delayed.

It's now January...

I thought that might be the case when I got the new Mosaic brochure yesterday without any release date at all. That's too bad for Mosaic. I imagine they were planning a Christmas release.

gregmo

It's now January...

I thought that might be the case when I got the new Mosaic brochure yesterday without any release date at all. That's too bad for Mosaic. I imagine they were planning a Christmas release.

gregmo

They still do the brochure?

I guess I got pushed off the mailing list as I have been mainly euromosaic these last few years. That makes me some kind of traitor...

...though mind you I certainly seem to have quite a few of them here...

...I even bought ones I either wouldn't like or would never play...

...still...

...it's ok...

:ph34r:

I imagine they were planning a Christmas release.

Hawk's not really a "Christmas" kind of guy anyways. For that, you'd go more to Bud Freeman.

HAHA :lol:

Well, if Hawk's not a Christmas guy, he's probably a New Years Eve party type guy...and hopefully Mosaic can get this release nailed down because I want this set NOW!

Edited by Jazz Nut

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just sent me this message:

I was reading some of the posts on Organissimo concerning the restoration on the Coleman Hawkins set and thought I would pass this along to you so you could let the group know that those sound clips we have on our web site were done before any cleaning up of the material was done. My bad, actually. Some of the clips do not give true examples of the work that Andreas Meyer has done on this. Someone else had mentioned that Andreas is hitting his stride on sound restoration and I agree. He has done some marvelous work in the past for us (I liked is work on the Shaw,in fact, Loren Schoenberg said he almost drove off the road when he heard “Begin The Beguine”: said he had never heard it sound any better). So by next week we should have new clips on “Strangers”, “She’s Funny That Way” and “Sweet Lorraine”. Hawk should be flying the coup in earliest January and please extend our apologies to the group for the delay !!
Edited by J.A.W.

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just sent me this message:

I was reading some of the posts on Organissimo concerning the restoration on the Coleman Hawkins set and thought I would pass this along to you so you could let the group know that those sound clips we have on our web site were done before any cleaning up of the material was done. My bad, actually. Some of the clips do not give true examples of the work that Andreas Meyer has done on this. Someone else had mentioned that Andreas is hitting his stride on sound restoration and I agree. He has done some marvelous work in the past for us (I liked is work on the Shaw,in fact, Loren Schoenberg said he almost drove off the road when he heard “Begin The Beguine”: said he had never heard it sound any better). So by next week we should have new clips on “Strangers”, “She’s Funny That Way” and “Sweet Lorraine”. Hawk should be flying the coup in earliest January and please extend our apologies to the group for the delay !!

I really appreciate the post!!! It's cool that Scott reads the forum. Really appreciate Mosaic for the quality that they stand for, and am always excited for what they have in store.

Just got this email:

Thank you very much for the preorder for the new Coleman Hawkins release.

Additional tracks were recently located and the clearance for these tracks has taken much longer than anticipated. The set is now scheduled for release in January.

Wee apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Fred