Latest Pop Market Complete sets available for preorder

JETman

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess is that, for Mingus, there will be new remasterings on "Let My Children Hear Music" and "Epitaph". Might even get a remastering on "Charles Mingus & Friends in Concert" since that was only issued domestically in 1996 or 1997. I can't see them remastering the other 5 discs though.

For the Monk, it's difficult to say. These albums were all mastered or remastered, with bonus tracks, starting in the late 90s and going into the early 00s. The low price/disc of this set makes me suspect that, as Lon already said, they are just repackaging those editions in paper sleeves.

For the Weather Report, I'd guess that the first two ("Weather Report" and "I Sing the Body Electric") will get remasterings since they were only previously issued in the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces Series in the early 90s. Of course "Live in Tokyo" was never previously issued in the US, so that should get a new mastering as well. "Sweetnighter" was issued for the first time on cd in the US in 1996, so it may be remastered. "Mysterious Traveller" and "Tale Spinnin'" were remastered in the early 00s, so they may not be remastered.

Did anyone else who ordered any of these notice that they are shipping from the UK? As far as I know, this is new.

That Monk set is pointless. Why not just do all his Columbia sides?

I agree with your point, but record companies seem to be hung up on putting out theme-based boxes.

They could've also put out a Complete Weather Report with all 16 of their albums. They've now left the last 4 just hanging out there all alone. Oh well.

I wonder how many discs will be included in the Dave Brubeck Quartet Live box supposedly coming at the end of the year.

Just had an email from True Blue saying that they will be selling these and other Popmarket titles from June. They are also available from Amazon.

I'm very pleased about this. Not only will it mean we might get more competitive pricing it also means I needn't face the possibility of dealing with Pop Market's customer service department again.

Is it just the new sets that are available at a reasonable price through Amazon? I see that the Woody Shaw set is available for just under £30 from Pop Market and over £57 from Amazon...what's all that about?

Just had an email from True Blue saying that they will be selling these and other Popmarket titles from June. They are also available from Amazon.

I'm very pleased about this. Not only will it mean we might get more competitive pricing it also means I needn't face the possibility of dealing with Pop Market's customer service department again.

Is it just the new sets that are available at a reasonable price through Amazon? I see that the Woody Shaw set is available for just under £30 from Pop Market and over £57 from Amazon...what's all that about?

It seems that the Pop Market sets are being sold exclusively through Pop Market for a time after they are released. Then they are being sold through other outlets. These other outlets sometimes price them cheaper, sometimes not. It's difficult to tell. The Woody Shaw came out in September of last year. That's a full 9 months before it is being sold elsewhere.

I guess Sony realized that they were shooting themselves in the foot by NOT selling these to other retailers. After all, Mosaic eventually figured this out, so why not Sony?

Yes, Pop Market's customer service and rules are ridiculous, but I have had no trouble with them in the past. Sony is usually solid when it comes to dealing with customer complaints. When I ordered the Miles Davis Complete Albums Collection from Amazon UK, and the discs were all gummed up, I got no resolution from them. Sony in the US sent me a remanufactured box FOR FREE and told me to keep the first one. First class all the way.

If you want a company to complain about, there's always Universal. They didn't properly resolve the Stan Getz Hip-o-Select issue, and still haven't issued a replacement disc on the Trane Impulse Albums, Vol. 5 set.

Edited by JETman

You're likely right about the Mingus box remastering John. I'll probably buy that box down the line, possibly at a cheaper price, just to have it all together, and especially if I hear that discs have been remastered. I do like these sets.

You're likely right about the Mingus box remastering John. I'll probably buy that box down the line, possibly at a cheaper price, just to have it all together, and especially if I hear that discs have been remastered. I do like these sets.

They are cool sets. Just wish they had thought of doing them years before I had bought some of these discs 3 or 4 times!

Did you get a "shipped from UK" message when you ordered the Weather Report box?

My guess is that, for Mingus, there will be new remasterings on "Let My Children Hear Music" and "Epitaph". Might even get a remastering on "Charles Mingus & Friends in Concert" since that was only issued domestically in 1996 or 1997. I can't see them remastering the other 5 discs though.

For the Monk, it's difficult to say. These albums were all mastered or remastered, with bonus tracks, starting in the late 90s and going into the early 00s. The low price/disc of this set makes me suspect that, as Lon already said, they are just repackaging those editions in paper sleeves.

For the Weather Report, I'd guess that the first two ("Weather Report" and "I Sing the Body Electric") will get remasterings since they were only previously issued in the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces Series in the early 90s. Of course "Live in Tokyo" was never previously issued in the US, so that should get a new mastering as well. "Sweetnighter" was issued for the first time on cd in the US in 1996, so it may be remastered. "Mysterious Traveller" and "Tale Spinnin'" were remastered in the early 00s, so they may not be remastered.

Did anyone else who ordered any of these notice that they are shipping from the UK? As far as I know, this is new.

Has anyone received these that can respond on the remastering? I'd probably spring for the Mingus and the Weather Report if they are indeed remastered.

Has anyone received these that can respond on the remastering? I'd probably spring for the Mingus and the Weather Report if they are indeed remastered.

They're not due until July 30. If you have a connection at Sony (I don't), that may be worth a try. Otherwise, I'd say Pop Market customer service will be useless.

I know that Mark Wilder pops up now and again at the Hoffman board. Maybe you could try pm'ing him?

They are cool sets. Just wish they had thought of doing them years before I had bought some of these discs 3 or 4 times!

Did you get a "shipped from UK" message when you ordered the Weather Report box?

I paid with paypal and didn't pay much attention to the final Pop Market page.

• 1 month later...

Popmarket just gets more and more retarded. So I tried contacting their customer service to see about my shipment. I filled out the "Contact Us" form on their website. When I press send, I get the following response:

"The change you wanted was rejected.

Maybe you tried to change something you didn't have access to."

That's all it says. Amazing. This is customer service?

Did you get a "shipped from UK" <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">message</a> when you ordered the Weather Report box?

Has anyone had trouble getting the cds out of the sleeves ? I just got the woody shaw set and I had to use the same trick to get those cds out as on the ECM touchstones except these were alot harder to get out.....there's no way I'm putting them back in....will just store them in empty cases.

My solution to this recurrent problem is the use of inner sleeves - have been buying these for a number of years (buy them in 50 or 100 lots from Sound Source CDs - see url)

The discs are also much easier to get in & out once they're in the sleeve

http://store.soundsourcecds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_73&products_id=212

I would love to see all CD's come in these cardboard LP replica sleeves & with these inner sleeves the CDs are protected

Jewel cases take up so much space

post-11057-0-59469300-1341450817_thumb.j

Edited by romualdo

My solution to this recurrent problem is the use of inner sleeves - have been buying these for a number of years (buy them in 50 or 100 lots from Sound Source CDs - see url)

http://store.soundsourcecds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_73&products_id=212

I would love to see all CD's come in these cardboard LP replica sleeves & with these inner sleeves the CDs are protected

How do you get those in without the bulk? Just jam them in the case? I have these as well but I usually keep them out of the case (for various grateful dead, floyd, U2 etc).

How do you get those in without the bulk? Just jam them in the case? I have these as well but I usually keep them out of the case (for various grateful dead, floyd, U2 etc).

I've never had a problem with that - they are so thin that they don't add a great deal to the overall thickness, even in multiple CD sets

Have been able to close all my box sets once the sleeves are utilised

• 2 weeks later...

I was at J&R Music World in NYC on Friday and they had pretty much all of these sets at seemingly lower prices than those on the Popmarket site. THey had the Mahavishnu set for $35 and I remember paying more for that at Popmarket and it was a brief time of reduced price.

• 1 month later...

The Brubeck box only covers the quartet's studio sessions with Desmond, though it does not include the stereo performances for Dave Digs Disney, which was sold as a CDR on demand or download exclusively (an additional 13 tracks over the earlier CD reissue). Also missing is the album The Riddle with Bill Smith in Desmond's place, The Real Ambassadors (Desmond was not a part of it), nor Brubeck's Columbia albums with Gerry Mulligan. Also omitted are the bonus material from the two CD + DVD reissue of Time Out, plus the albums with Jimmy Rushing or Carmen McRae.

Producer Russell Gloyd shared with me that they are working on a Brubeck Live Columbia boxed set for the fall of 2012., commenting that there was ample unissued music from the 1962 Concertgebouw show.

Any confirmation on this box set of live Brubeck? I've been listening to the studio box set, and while I really enjoy it, there is an undercurrent of "planned for sales" feel to a number of these albums. The live stuff, I hope, will have a more spontaneous feel to them.