albums where the rhythm-section is the real draw

Rooster_Ties

Occasionally I've run across albums where the rhythm-section is really the biggest thing of interest (or more notable, in any case, than the leader or the front line).

Any favorites come to mind? Things that really stand out in a leader's entire catalog (looking at all their leader-dates) particularly because of who else is on the date?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm listening to Stan Getz "Captain Marvel" for the very first time just now -- from 1972, with Chick Corea (who wrote all the tunes), Stanley Clarke, and Tony Williams (and also Airto). I'm normally not a big Getz fan, but this rhythm section is certainly a big draw for me.

(...which is what gave me the idea for this thread.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm listening to Stan Getz "Captain Marvel" for the very first time just now -- from 1972, with Chick Corea (who wrote all the tunes), Stanley Clarke, and Tony Williams (and also Airto). I'm normally not a big Getz fan, but this rhythm section is certainly a big draw for me.

(...which is what gave me the idea for this thread.)

Caught that band live at the London House in Chicago. Wow.

The leader is on fire too, but the two Johnny Griffin Riverside albums with Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware, and Philly Joe Jones. What a rhythm section that was! And Ware's solos!

My first thought are the Booker Ervin dates with Byard, Davis and Dawson. I like Booker just fine, but these three make the albums for me.

I should probably know -- but were Byard, Davis and Dawson (all three) on any other (non-Ervin) dates together?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My first thought are the Booker Ervin dates with Byard, Davis and Dawson. I like Booker just fine, but these three make the albums for me.

I should probably know -- but were Byard, Davis and Dawson (all three) on any other (non-Ervin) dates together?

Phil Woods - Musique du Bois (Muse) - also a Don Schlitten production

this is not the original cover (the original was better)

f30651ch3u3.jpg

A great recording IMO.

Edited by John Tapscott

They are on the Jaki Byard Experience LP along with Roland Kirk

Another one is Eric Kloss, In the Land of the Giants.

The leader is on fire too, but the two Johnny Griffin Riverside albums with Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware, and Philly Joe Jones. What a rhythm section that was! And Ware's solos!

Your post reminded me of J.R. Monterose's Blue Note date. Wilbur Ware and Philly Joe are on that one too - along with Horace Silver. At times, W.W. is like a rhythm section all by himself.

And Cecil Taylor's Looking Ahead! - C.T., Buell Neidlinger, Dennis Charles, and Earl Griffith - four masters of rhythm. Looking Ahead! is a rhythm record.

Also worth mentioning is RIP, RIG & PANIC with Kirk, Davis, Byard & Jones. That one is a bitch. One of the most hard-driving, ass-kicking jazz records ever made largely due to the rhythm. Goddamn.

My mileage with Steve Grossman tends to vary considerably, but he almost always assembles a crack rhythm team for his dates. Cedar Walton, David Williams and Billy Higgins for LOVE IS THE THING and SMALL HOTEL and a Juni Booth / Joe Chambers team for both volumes of WAY OUT EAST.

Wilbur Ware... another good one is JENKINS JORDAN TIMMONS, with Bobby (naturally) and Dannie Richmond. And Blue Mitchell's BIG SIX: Ware, Wynton Kelly and Philly Joe.

Edited by Joe