Solo Saxophone Tunes

Late

Carlo Actis Dato has a couple (at least) of solo sax releases on Leo that are worth hearing. Pieces tend towards the miniature, and, while free-ish, aren't all that out. THE MOONWALKER is probably the most approachable of the batch.

Edited by Joe

Nonaah! :lol:

I'm about eleventeen pages deep into the thread thinking "What? No mention of...?"

Finally. Nonaah.

Okay, it's Chuck recommending something he played a role in creating and selling, but a solid recording worthy of broader awareness and acclaim. Not just Mr. Nessa blowing his own tooter.

I do own Nonaah, but confess to not playing it enough to feel familiar with it. Will change this.

If anyone has heard/has a copy of Gene Sedric's "Sax-O-Doodle," please PM me.

(Note: I mentioned Sonny Rollins' "Manhattan" earlier in this thread. Um ... that's a trio track. :crazy: I was thinking "Body and Soul.")

Thanks again for the recs. A lot of the (more recent?) artists being mentioned I haven't heard. It does seem that solo saxophone playing lends itself more toward the "outside" of conventional playing. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It does make me wonder, however — what would an a cappella Stan Getz track sound like? Or a solo Dexter Gordon track? Or Ben Webster? Or Johnny Hodges? Would these players have even considered such a thing?

Bill F — thanks for the Potter. Really enjoyed it.

(Edited for typos.)

Edited by Late

just took out some hatOLOGY discs last night... including the two Lieb solo discs - but right now I'm spinning his duo 2CD set with Marc Copland, "Bookends", and on disc 1, there's a wonderful tenor sax solo performance o" Lester Leaps In"!

Also, have the Shepp solos from "The Long March" been mentioned?

Dexter in later years would often play extended solo cadenzas lasting a few minutes near the end of tunes in live performance. These give some sense of how a solo Dexter performance might have sounded. I was listening the other night to some of his live performances from the Keystone Korner, and this was a common element.

Late said:

>>>

It does make me wonder, however — what would an a cappella Stan Getz track sound like? Or a solo Dexter Gordon track? Or Ben Webster? Or Johnny Hodges? Would these players have even considered such a thing?

>>>

Nonaah! :lol:

Yes indeed!

Noonah is for me the most extraordinary solo - on any instrument. You cannot ignore it, I guess some probably hate it but for me its strong emotions and human qualities won me over. Only snag for a CDR for the car would be it's length.

Charles Lloyd, "Pre-Dawn," on the "soundtrack" album. It's a live solo sax performance that is Ayler-influenced and anticipates David Murray. It's a discrete track, but it segues directly into Forest Flower, so I suspect it was really intended as a long intro of sorts.