New Jim Hall Live Artist Share Project

JETman

• 4 weeks later...

This has been moved from an initial release date of 5/1/12 to a new release date of 7/15/12. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that very few have contributed at the higher (more than just the physical cd) price points.

Anyway, I look at this as having another 2 1/2 months to think about it.

I don't think that's the reason. I got an email from them yesterday. They said it was because they were changing the packaging to make it a bound box with cd sleeves. That's the reason for the production delay. I did listen to one of the new tracks which sounds fantastic. I just hope the CD's run 70-80 minutes each not 40-50 like the original cd.

This has been moved from an initial release date of 5/1/12 to a new release date of 7/15/12. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that very few have contributed at the higher (more than just the physical cd) price points.

I don't think that's the reason. I got an email from them yesterday. They said it was because they were changing the packaging to make it a bound box with cd sleeves. That's the reason for the production delay. I did listen to one of the new tracks which sounds fantastic. I just hope the CD's run 70-80 minutes each not 40-50 like the original cd.

Bound as in like the original Miles Columbia sets? If so, that should give many people plenty more to whine about.

They didn't give me a visual. I'm thinking more like these god-awful Hip-o-Select boxes (the packaging and price which I can't stand).

Bound as in like the original Miles Columbia sets? If so, that should give many people plenty more to whine about.

• 5 months later...

Just received this in the mail yesterday. Very well done - it does have similarities with the Miles sets, but 1) pages are easier to turn and b) the font is large enough to actually read - largest I have ever seen on a box set (see below) :)

I have not listened to the music yet, but am very pleased with the presentation.

post-219-0-45423600-1350997152_thumb.jpg

post-219-0-16090800-1350997166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eric

Just received this in the mail yesterday. Very well done - it does have similarities with the Miles sets, but 1) pages are easier to turn and b) the font is large enough to actually read - largest I have ever seen on a box set (see below) :)

I have not listened to the music yet, but am very pleased with the presentation.

Thanks for the pics! What did they charge you for shipping?

Thanks for the pics! What did they charge you for shipping?

$7.95 according to my receipt from April.

I have to agree. Very nice packaging. Hope to listen to the cds later this week.

Sold out already. According to an email I got yesterday, more should be coming in November.

I guess I can stop worrying about it for now. :shrug[1]::tophat::ph34r:

There were 21 left this morning. After Eric posted the pics, that number steadily declined to 0 pdq. I'm sure all 21 were sold to Org board members. We're nothing if not predictable!

So, is the stand-alone single CD selling for $18.99 the newer session with Greg Osby? Not very clear information on the website.

Yes, Live at Birdland.

Thanks. Anyone with an opinion as to how good this recording is?

I have it and gave it a somewhat inattentive listen during my commute last week. I enjoyed it enough to want to return to it under better circumstances.

I'd have to agree on that. But I was more impressed with the live Boxed set... It was quite a wait but definitely worth it to me. Don't know when I'm going to find the time to read the liner notes though...unsure.gifunsure.gif

So, is the stand-alone single CD selling for $18.99 the newer session with Greg Osby? Not very clear information on the website.

Yes, Live at Birdland.

Thanks. Anyone with an opinion as to how good this recording is?

I have it and gave it a somewhat inattentive listen during my commute last week. I enjoyed it enough to want to return to it under better circumstances.

• 10 years later...

Thanks to my Facebook friend Derek Taylor, I learned that Jim Hall's estate is releasing a CD (2 CDs maybe?) featuring Hall, Scott Colley & Joey Baron via Artist Share on March 2, 2023. It is called "Uniquities Vol. 1 + 2". I wish they offered more details on this release (Live? Studio?) but I still ordered the CD(s).

Derek's post also pointed out that I missed an earlier Artist Share recording of Hall & Baron called "Conversations" that was released in 2010. It's sold out on CD but still available as a download from Artist Share. I'm not a huge fan of downloads but since the CDs are pricey on the used market, it may be my best option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, bresna said:

Thanks to my Facebook friend Derek Taylor, I learned that Jim Hall's estate is releasing a CD (2 CDs maybe?) featuring Hall, Scott Colley & Joey Baron via Artist Share on March 2, 2023. It is called "Uniquities Vol. 1 + 2". I wish they offered more details on this release (Live? Studio?) but I still ordered the CD(s).

Derek's post also pointed out that I missed an earlier Artist Share recording of Hall & Baron called "Conversations" that was released in 2010. It's sold out on CD but still available as a download from Artist Share. I'm not a huge fan of downloads but since the CDs are pricey on the used market, it may be my best option.

I did see that.. you're right it's not clear if it's from a live set/studio set or the number of CDs...

• 1 month later...

"Uniquities Vol. 1 & 2" shipped today. It's 2 CDs.

Disc 1

1. Without A Song
  2. All The Things You Are
  3. Careful
  4. Chelsea Bridge
  5. Is What It Is
  6. Uniquities Part 1
  7. St. Thomas

Disc 2

1. Without A Song
  2. Body And Soul
  3. Big Blues
  4. In A Sentimental Mood
  5. Uniquities Part 2 - St. Thomas

I don't know why the second "Uniquities" has "St. Thomas" hyphenated after it. I'll find out when I play it. :)

It's recorded live in Japan in 2012 but in listening to the downloads, the audience is dead silent during the tunes and so far (a few tunes in), they only clap at the conclusion of each tune. Very nicely recorded if not almost too "soft"... but that could just be Jim's setup.

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

... Very nicely recorded if not almost too "soft"... but that could just be Jim's setup.

“The guitarist [Jim Hall] is in danger of going down in the [Ronnie] Scott Club history as the Quiet American”.

- Max Jones, Melody Maker, June 11th 1966

2 hours ago, bresna said:

"Uniquities Vol. 1 & 2" shipped today. It's 2 CDs.

Disc 1

1. Without A Song
  2. All The Things You Are
  3. Careful
  4. Chelsea Bridge
  5. Is What It Is
  6. Uniquities Part 1
  7. St. Thomas

Disc 2

1. Without A Song
  2. Body And Soul
  3. Big Blues
  4. In A Sentimental Mood
  5. Uniquities Part 2 - St. Thomas

I don't know why the second "Uniquities" has "St. Thomas" hyphenated after it. I'll find out when I play it. :)

It's recorded live in Japan in 2012 but in listening to the downloads, the audience is dead silent during the tunes and so far (a few tunes in), they only clap at the conclusion of each tune. Very nicely recorded if not almost too "soft"... but that could just be Jim's setup.

Do you have the 3cd box? How does this compare? Even though it's cheaper - I'm leaning against as I have a lot of Jim Hall.