New batch of Fresh Sound reissues

mikeweil

I have a Japanese copy of Walter Benton's Out Of This World, so that one has been out on CD before. Benton is a guy you need to hear if you haven't run into him before. His sound is somewhat reminiscent of the so-called "roundness" that characterizes Hank Mobley. Having bought this CD without listening to it, I can recall being very pleased with the session when I first heard it.

The Benton album was out domestically on this:

http://allmusic.com/album/out-of-this-world-r523421

As mentioned by ejp in post #20; see also post #21.

Yes, but I provided pictures!!! For me, since most of my collection is in storage, that can make the difference between buying a duplicate, or feeling safe knowing that I already have it.

Did my post waste that much bandwidth?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Japanese copy of Walter Benton's Out Of This World, so that one has been out on CD before. Benton is a guy you need to hear if you haven't run into him before. His sound is somewhat reminiscent of the so-called "roundness" that characterizes Hank Mobley. Having bought this CD without listening to it, I can recall being very pleased with the session when I first heard it.

I'm almost certain that I had (maybe still have) the Milestone CD that combined Out of This World with Priester's Spiritsville. However, this CD omitted Iris from the Benton session! :angry: Really not sure that I want to buy a FS issue for a single track, but couldn't Milestone have done it right the first time?

It wasn't a question of doing it right, there was no room for that track; at the time the capacity of a CD wasn't what it is now.

If you do it "right" you either combine albums where you aren't forced to cut off tracks or you put it out as separate CDs. I have no way to judge at present, but one reviewer on Amazon claims that "Iris" is vastly more interesting and musically important than some of the other ones left on the final CD.

I'm almost certain that I had (maybe still have) the Milestone CD that combined Out of This World with Priester's Spiritsville. However, this CD omitted Iris from the Benton session! :angry: Really not sure that I want to buy a FS issue for a single track, but couldn't Milestone have done it right the first time?

It wasn't a question of doing it right, there was no room for that track; at the time the capacity of a CD wasn't what it is now.

If you do it "right" you either combine albums where you aren't forced to cut off tracks or you put it out as separate CDs. I have no way to judge at present, but one reviewer on Amazon claims that "Iris" is vastly more interesting and musically important than some of the other ones left on the final CD.

I'm speculating, but I suspect that Fantasy didn't think it was cost-effective to put it out as 2 separate CDs - which I certainly would have preferred.

Sometimes Fantasy made strange decisions - I would have avoided omitting tracks in any case, and combine different albums instead. Not sure I wouldbuy the benton for the one track missing on the twofer CD, either - but Pujol is taking more care about his compilations. And he sure is avoiding the common stuff still kept available.

Sometimes Fantasy made strange decisions - I would have avoided omitting tracks in any case, and combine different albums instead. Not sure I wouldbuy the benton for the one track missing on the twofer CD, either - but Pujol is taking more care about his compilations. And he sure is avoiding the common stuff still kept available.

Is he really avoiding the common stuff? The jury, I believe, is still out as to whether he is actually in bed with some of the other Andorran pirates, his claims to the contrary notwithstanding.

Here are some more releases from earlier this year from Prestige, Riverside etc.:

FSRCD 691_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Quartet, Quintet & Sextet (4 Lps On 2 Cds)

Sonny Red

Featuring: Sonny Red (as), Blue Mitchell (tp), Yusef Lateef, Clifford Jordan (ts), Barry Harris, Tommy Flanagan, Ronnie Matthews, Cedar Walton (p), Grant Green (g), Bob Cranshaw, Art Davis, George Tucker (b), Albert 'Tootie' Heath, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 690_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Griff & Lock - Complete Studio Recordings 1960-1961 (3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Eddie Lockjaw Davis & Johnny Griffin

Featuring: Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis, Johnny Griffin (ts), Junior Mance (p), Larry Gales (b), Ben Riley (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 688 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Inverted Image + My Romance (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Chris Anderson

Featuring: Chris Anderson (p), Bill Lee (b), Art Taylor, Walter Perkins, Philly Joe Jones (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 687 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

And The Jazz Statesmen + Pleasure Bent (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Charles Persip

Featuring: Freddie Hubbard, Marcus Belgrave (tp), Roland Alexander (ts), Ronnie Mathews (p), Ron Carter, Gene Taylor (b), Charles Persip, Clarence Stroman (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 686 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Early Sessions 1954-1955 Bethlehem / Savoy / Abc Paramount

Bobby Scott

Featuring: Bobby Scott (p, vib), Whitey Mitchell, Jim Corbett, Nabil 'Knobby' Totah (b), Will Bradley Jr., Al Levitt (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 685 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

More Soul & The Soul Clinic (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Hank Crawford

Featuring: Hank Crawford (as, p, arr), Phil Guilbeau, John Hunt (tp), David 'Fathead' Newman (ts), Leroy 'Hog' Cooper (bs), Edgar Willis (b), Milt Turner, Bruno Carr (d), Ray Charles (arr)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 684_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Junior Mance Trio (3 Lps On 2 Cds) + Live Bonus Tracks

Junior Mance

Featuring: Junior Mance (p), Ben Tucker, Jimmy Rowser, Larry Gales (b), Bobby Thomas, Paul Gusman, Ben Riley (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 682 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

In San Francisco - Recorded Live At The Jazz Workshop (complete Recordings)

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Herbie Lewis (b), Ron Jefferson (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 680_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Live At Minton's Playhouse In New York City - Complete Recordings (4 Lps On 2 Cds)

Eddie Lockjaw Davis & Johnny Griffin

Featuring: Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis & Johnny Griffin (ts), Junior Mance (p), Larry Gales (b), Ben Riley (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 679_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Maggie's Back In Town!! + Together Again!!!! + Dusty Blue (3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Howard McGhee

Featuring: Howard McGhee (tp), Bennie Green (tb), Teddy Edwards, Roland Alexander, Pepper Adams (saxes), Tommy Flanagan, Phineas Newborn, Jr. (p), Leroy Vinnegar, Ray Brown, Ron Carter (b), Shelly Manne, Ed Thigpen, Walter Bolden (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 678 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

New Groove & Barefoot Adventure (2 Lps On 1 Cd) Feat. Carmell Jones & Bob Cooper

Bud Shank

Featuring: Carmell Jones (tp), Bud Shank (as, bs), Bob Cooper (ts), Dennis Budimir (g), Gary Peacock (b), Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 675_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Jazz Brothers: Complete Sextet & Quintet Recordings (3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Mangione Brothers

Featuring: Chuck Mangione (tp), Larry Coombs (as), Sal Nistico (ts), Gap Mangione (p), Bill Saunders, Steve Davis (b), Roy McCurdy (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 674_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Slide Hampton Octet (2 Lps On 2 Cds) + Unreleased Live Recordings

Slide Hampton

Featuring: Freddie Hubbard, Ernie Royal, Richard Williams, Hobart Dotson (tp), Slide Hampton (tb, arr), Bill Barber (tuba), George Coleman, Walter Benton, Jay Cameron (saxes), Nabil 'Knobby' Totah, Larry Ridley (b), Pete La Roca (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 672_2 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Complete Swingville Sessions (3 Lps On 2 Cds)

Joe Newman

Featuring: Joe Newman (tp), Frank Wess, Frank Foster (saxes), Tommy Flanagan (p), Eddie Jones, Wendell Marshall (b), Oliver Jackson, Bill English (d)

€ 15.95 (USD 18.96)

FSRCD 671 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Montgomery Brothers + Groove Yard (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Wes, Buddy & Monk Montgomery

Featuring: Buddy Montgomery (p), Wes Montgomery (g), Monk Montgomery (b), Lawrence Marable, Bobby Thomas (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 670 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

Carmen For Cool Ones + Mad About The Man (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Carmen McRae

Featuring: Carmen McRae (vcl), with Fred Katz & Jack Pleis Orchestras, feat. Pete Candoli, Charlie Shavers (tp), Milt Bernhart, Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Buddy Collette, Seldon Powell (saxes), Ray Bryant (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Ike Isaacs (b), Specs Wright (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

FSRCD 669 - FRESH SOUND RECORDS :

The Chase Is On + Taylor's Tenors (2 Lps On 1 Cd)

Paul Quinichette & Charlie Rouse

Featuring: Charlie Rouse, Paul Quinichette, Frank Foster (ts), Wynton Kelly, Hank Jones, Walter Davis Jr. (p), Freddie Green (g), Wendell Marshall, Sam Jones (b), Ed Thigpen, Art Taylor (d)

€ 9.95 (USD 11.83)

If I wasn't near broke at the time, they would get me there ... with the Montgomery Brothers they did some major name stuff from the Fantasy vaults.

No idea how these sound - I hope I have the funds to buy some later this year.

Finally some does reissue the Les McCann Pacific Jazz sessions:

Plays The Shout - Complete Recordings

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Ron Jefferson (d)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 656

Plays The Truth - Complete Sessions

Les McCann

Featuring: Les McCann (p), Leroy Vinnegar, Herbie Lewis (b), Ron Jefferson (d). Guest: Bobby Hutcherson (vb), Curtis Amy (ts)

REFERENCE: FSRCD 646

I believe Flurin is referring to "Breezing" on Jazzland. Available on a Fresh Sound two cd set "Quartet, Quintet and Sextet" which reissues "Images," "The Mode" and the one co-led with Clifford Jordan, "A Story Tale."

Yes, this is another one of Pujol's common tricks - including an album ("A Story Tale", in this case) that was never released on cd individually, but on a compilation of sorts. A cd issued under Clifford Jordan's name called "Mosaic" includes "A Story Tale", alas.

It's "Breezing" indeed. "A Story Tale" was part of the twofer CD "Mosaic" by Clifford Jordan (which combined Jordan's "Starting Time" with Jordan/Red's "A Story Tale"), while Red's twofer "Red, Blue and Green" combined "The Mode" and "Images". Some fine music there, and an official Fantasy 2CD set would definitely have been wonderful!

As long as Sonny Red's recordings are being discussed here I would also like to see a CD reissue of Red's Mainstream album

Even better were the Charles McPherson albums on Mainstream that deserve to be on CD. He had 3 albums on Mainstream.

I have a CD copy of McPherson's - Siku Ya Bibi - album on Mainstream which is the only one of his on that label, to the best of my knowledge, that has been reissued on CD.

is there potential for these needledropped cds to sound real good, if done correctly. i have a compact disc of Rick Wright/ZEE-idenity, its a needledrop, but its amazing, it completely sounds like a good transfer from an actual mastertape, so good infact i sold my copy of the original lp + now have the needledrop as my prefered version for this album

Edited by chewy

needle drop or not, this stuff needs to come out and nobody else is doing it.

So sayeth I.

I don't object to releasing a needle drop in this situation. I do object to paying for it, however. So, I'll bide my time and wait for someone to steal from the thief. :cool:

Or even better, find somebody who's got the album, do your own needle drop, and then upload it for all your friends to share.

That's the brotherly thing to do!

needle drop or not, this stuff needs to come out and nobody else is doing it.

So sayeth I.

I don't object to releasing a needle drop in this situation. I do object to paying for it, however. So, I'll bide my time and wait for someone to steal from the thief. :cool:

Or even better, find somebody who's got the album, do your own needle drop, and then upload it for all your friends to share.

That's the brotherly thing to do!

That's right. Before stealing someone's work, be sure that some European (or other as-yet untrampled foreigner) has made legal use of it in her/his country first. Otherwise - well, otherwise it just wouldn't seem right, would it?

Let's face it, either way, it is still kind of surprising that anyone is keeping these marginal artefacts in circulation. The idea that there is still any mileage in putting a physical CD of John Wright in such a dinosaur institution as a record store! I say 'still' - it has never been done - it was never worth it even in the heyday of CD!

The fact that I can still stumble into my local HMV (mainly now a DVD store, but still has jazz and classical music sections) and pick up some Philly Jo or Bob Enevoldsen... I dunno, that's quite a thing, even if the whole exercise is basically nostalgic (and aimed at what UK marketers call '£50 man' - the working man of a certain age who stumbles into town on a Saturday with a few spare quid to squander...).

That's right. Before stealing someone's work, be sure that some European (or other as-yet untrampled foreigner) has made legal use of it in her/his country first. Otherwise - well, otherwise it just wouldn't seem right, would it?

I'm guessing your favorite song is One Note Samba. It is isn't it?

It's full of clever variations - so yes...

It's full of clever variations - so yes...

I'll have to pay more attention in the future, for I see little variation and nothing resembling cleverness.

da da da dada da da daaa da da da da da da da

doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doo-bie badoobie doo-bie

doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doobie doo-bie badoobie doo-bie

Neither clever? Nor variated?

Discuss amongst yourselves.