Prez: "Too Marvelous for Words"

medjuck

This CD has 6 numbers from that group broadcast Jan. 19 and 20th, 1951. (Lester Leaps In, Up And At'Em, Indiana, Ghost Of A Chance, How High The Moon, D.B. Blues) It would be a good way to test the material out very cheaply. This disc can currently be had new at Amazon Marketplace for $1.00 and change. I have all 5 discs in this series and despite the cheesy and totally unrelated artwork, found the discs to be very enjoyable, hearing Pres live at Birdland. There are 4 additional numbers featuring Jesse Drakes, Earl Knight, Aaron Bell and Joe Harris. (Up And At'Em, Blue Sentimental, Neenah, Lester Leaps In - 8/51)

The President: Historical Masters, vol 2

Discussion on this series here:

discussion

Edited by mikelz777

Is there such a thing as a bad Lester Young cd?

Much as I love him I find some of the early Granz dates (with Hank Jones and John Lewis) weak, as well as his playing on Pres and Sweets. For me, '49-51 are among his weakest years, then he comes back swinging with Peterson in 1952, and transcendent with Basie at Newport.

Those broadcasts have been issued on several Prez albums. Nothing new there, but if you do not have any of the material yet, you should get this release. The CD title tells it all!

Backing The President are John Lewis, Gene Ramey and Jo Jones!

Where has this been before?

I can't figure out whether I have the material or not. :shrug[1]:

Much as I love him I find some of the early Granz dates (with Hank Jones and John Lewis) weak, as well as his playing on Pres and Sweets. For me, '49-51 are among his weakest years, then he comes back swinging with Peterson in 1952, and transcendent with Basie at Newport.

Our tastes diverge here pretty strongly. I think that 1949-1951 were some of Lester Young's greatest years on record, beginning with the last Savoy session and including all the tremendous live recordings from 50-51. By contrast, I find 1952 to be weaker. I find the Oscar Peterson session to be good, but not top drawer. 1953 was even weaker, and 1954-1955 the weakest years. Pres came back strong in 56.

Our tastes diverge here pretty strongly. I think that 1949-1951 were some of Lester Young's greatest years on record, beginning with the last Savoy session and including all the tremendous live recordings from 50-51. By contrast, I find 1952 to be weaker. I find the Oscar Peterson session to be good, but not top drawer. 1953 was even weaker, and 1954-1955 the weakest years. Pres came back strong in 56.

As an additional clarification, I agree about Pres and Sweets, but that session dates from 1955.

Got an e-mail today from True Blue advertising the above mentioned cd of broadcasts from 1951. Anyone have or know it? Should I immediately order it? Is there such a thing as a bad Lester Young cd?

There is no such thing. Anyone can have a bad day, and Pres was human. That was his genius: unique yet approachable poetry that was so human. And even when he was supposed to be 'washed up' there was a bend in the road every solo-a note or rhythm so CONTRARY... I'd grab anything. The live stuff w/Jesse Drakes and co. is worth it-from the same pd. Is the great Vic Dickenson on some of those?

Much as I love him I find some of the early Granz dates (with Hank Jones and John Lewis) weak, as well as his playing on Pres and Sweets.

Yeah, but those recordings are worth having for Sweet's playing.