Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

So, would the music on this set sound like the one in "Live at Fillmore East: It's About That Time" from March 1970?

Somewhat - but that album is very heavy on In a Silent Way/Bitches Brew material. In the summer/fall of 1969, the band was still playing a lot of material from earlier in the '60s (Footprints, Masquelero) and even some tunes from the '50s (Round Midnight, Milestones, No Blues). Even those tunes get pretty abstract, though.

Edited by jeffcrom

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, would the music on this set sound like the one in "Live at Fillmore East: It's About That Time" from March 1970?

Somewhat - but that album is very heavy on In a Silent Way/Bitches Brew material. In the summer/fall of 1969, the band was still playing a lot of material from earlier in the '60s (Footprints, Masquelero) and even some tunes from the '50s (Round Midnight, Milestones, No Blues). Even those tunes get pretty abstract, though.

Hmmm. That sounds very intriguing. I will check it out. Thanks.

Can we assume that the amazon.de version will have liner notes in German?

No. They'd need to pay for a translation and they don't pay for unnecessary things ;)

Seriously: we all speak engrish of some kind and major label releases should be identical (except for some of the small print, I guess). Vol. 1 only has english notes.

Edited by king ubu

I'd also add that by the time 1970 rolled around, Airto was in the band, and that made a fundamental difference in the basic texture of the music.

(let me add for full accuracy's sake that Airto began recording with Miles in November of 1969, but is not on any to-this-point-documented live recordings until 1970. Still, his addition changed things up significantly, adding another layer of rhythm and texture to a group that was already well-supplied with both).

There are other differences to my ears. Chick wasn't using the heavy processing on his electric piano yet, so it sounds like a "clean" electric piano sound. Airto is absent. The rhythm section has a lighter feel. And generally speaking, the "new" tunes are approached in a much less rock-oriented way during the 1969 concerts - "It's About That Time" and "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" were vehicles for free improvisation, especially after Miles's solo.

This is probably oversimplifying things grossly, but the 1969 quintet played free jazz with electric piano. The sextet that played the Fillmore East in 1970 did some of that, but also more groove-oriented music. As 1970 advanced, Miles's live groups cut down on the amount of free music and increased the amount of groove-oriented music.

Edited by Guy

• 2 weeks later...

There are other differences to my ears. Chick wasn't using the heavy processing on his electric piano yet, so it sounds like a "clean" electric piano sound. Airto is absent. The rhythm section has a lighter feel. And generally speaking, the "new" tunes are approached in a much less rock-oriented way during the 1969 concerts - "It's About That Time" and "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down" were vehicles for free improvisation, especially after Miles's solo.

This is probably oversimplifying things grossly, but the 1969 quintet played free jazz with electric piano. The sextet that played the Fillmore East in 1970 did some of that, but also more groove-oriented music. As 1970 advanced, Miles's live groups cut down on the amount of free music and increased the amount of groove-oriented music.

Yeah, the Corea/Jarrett keyboard stuff by the Fillmore recordings was very dirty with the ring-modulators, etc, not my cup of tea. And so different than what Corea and Jarrett were doing on their own stuff a year or two later.

I think Chick still has plugins or other ways of doing ring modulation effects though he doesn't use them much now. He plays his own sampled Rhodes on a Yamaha Motif these days, because it's easier portability, I thjink he said in an interview he was worried about his Rhodes from the 80's going out of tune.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that the release date's approaching (Jan 29), what's the best price available? Amazon's stabilized at $45.75.

See post #67:

Amazon Germany's price including tax (VAT) is now 20.99 euros or about $28 plus shipping. If ordered from outside the European Union, tax will be deducted.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B008YCMM2A/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Edited by J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...

Link to Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de...&pf_rd_i=301128

See post #116 above.

I'm all for saving a buck, but already I am receiving emails from Amazon.de that I have no idea what they are saying. I dread the day they send me an email about this set because I won't know what they want.

There are lots of translation services on the 'net, like Google: http://translate.google.com and you can always ask German speaking members of this board or me to help you.

Edited by J.A.W.