Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series, volume 2

CJ Shearn

Miles was usually a dickhead and he wanted to be that person. He was always acting. I believe under all the facades, he was really a dickhead.

Gives a new meaning to the title "Miles Ahead."

Having been on the receiving end of one piece of Miles' dickhead behavior, I know what you mean. The new boy at Down Beat in the fall of 1968, I was at the Plugged Nickel trying to set up an interview with a reluctant Wayne Shorter (he said he didn't want to do one because he didn't have anything to say) when Miles from across the room hissed out "Don't tell him any-thing, Wayne." (Miles knew more or less what I was up to because I was there with my boss Dan Morgenstern, and Miles knew Dan.) In any case, Wayne, seeing me wince at Miles' words, which came from behind my back, and (so I later came to think) probably engaged himself in a tit-for-tat power struggle with Miles, immediately said that he'd do the interview the next day. It's the one that was rightly printed under Wayne's own name as "Creativity and Change" -- rightly, because it was spoken by him in a virtually unbroken 90-minute monologue.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Larry, my apologies. My reply came out sounding significantly meaner than I intended it. Just thought there was an irony in grumpily policing threads for duplicates (they're timewasting!!) and then botching a copy-and-paste that led to me visiting an error page instead of the desired thread (timewasting!!).

Larry, my apologies. My reply came out sounding significantly meaner than I intended it. Just thought there was an irony in grumpily policing threads for duplicates (they're timewasting!!) and then botching a copy-and-paste that led to me visiting an error page instead of the desired thread (timewasting!!).

Peace.

So, if the the Nov. 5th date is accurate, then (according to "Miles Ahead"), the 3rd disc of material may include a few (3?) tunes with Chick on acoustic piano?!

(source)

Full track-listing available at the link I've provided above, but here's the relevant footnote:

Corea begins the first concert on a malfunctioning electric piano, but he gives up on it -- after a short interval, he plays acoustic piano for the remainder of the concert. Davis's choice of tunes ("Paraphernalia," "Nefertiti," and "Masqualero") was probably influenced by the lack of an electric piano.

Never quite realized that any of the one (or two?) "Chick had to play acoustic" Bitches Brew era gigs had ever been recorded professionally (or semi-professionally, or at least good enough to release legit). Never in a million years did I expect to ever hear the Bitches Brew band play with an acoustic piano, but that's long been a dream of mine -- to hear that kind of material played with acoustic piano.

Now, the "Miles Ahead" footnote isn't entirely clear -- on this particular recording (the one about to be released) where there ANY of the Bitches Brew tunes played with acoustic piano?? And if so, which ones?? (Obviously I've never heard the recordings of this gig that circulate.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

(They seem to have had a blackout in Italy, too - hence Holland partly on double bass and Chick on wood flute... no money for a piano in Italy you know, they had to sell it in order to pay the mob :crazy: )

(Here's the Rome link: http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=691027)

But this one from Paris is interesting:

16 It's About That Time (M. Davis) 16:10

For part of this tune Corea plays a second drum set (4:20-13:38), and De Johnette plays el-p (5:28-10:02)

Rooster, here's Stockholm:

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx?s=691105

They do the title tune "Bitches Brew", it seems. Not sure if there are any other examples.

(They seem to have had a blackout in Italy, too - hence Holland partly on double bass and Chick on wood flute... no money for a piano in Italy you know, they had to sell it in order to pay the mob :crazy: )

No blackout in this case. Holland didn't fully plug in until the following year. Chick only plays wood flute during "This."

No blackout in this case. Holland didn't fully plug in until the following year. Chick only plays wood flute during "This."

Certainly you must have been aware I jest (ad -ed at own danger).

Wait so you're telling me this one will be the DVD?? and that Antibes performance above is the CD?

No, the DVD will present the November 7, 1969 Berlin performance. The Antibes performances will be on CD.

So there is video of the Antibes performance but they're offering a DVD of a different concert!? Well at least it gives us two (or is it 3) concerts.

Wait so you're telling me this one will be the DVD?? and that Antibes performance above is the CD?

No, the DVD will present the November 7, 1969 Berlin performance. The Antibes performances will be on CD.

So there is video of the Antibes performance but they're offering a DVD of a different concert!? Well at least it gives us two (or is it 3) concerts.

If you go back and read post #1, you'll notice that we're getting at least pieces of FIVE different concerts.

It's quite clear if you read the blurb from Legacy in the first post.

So, if the the Nov. 5th date is accurate, then (according to "Miles Ahead"), the 3rd disc of material may include a few (3?) tunes with Chick on acoustic piano?!

(source)

Full track-listing available at the link I've provided above, but here's the relevant footnote:

Corea begins the first concert on a malfunctioning electric piano, but he gives up on it -- after a short interval, he plays acoustic piano for the remainder of the concert. Davis's choice of tunes ("Paraphernalia," "Nefertiti," and "Masqualero") was probably influenced by the lack of an electric piano.

Never quite realized that any of the one (or two?) "Chick had to play acoustic" Bitches Brew era gigs had ever been recorded professionally (or semi-professionally, or at least good enough to release legit). Never in a million years did I expect to ever hear the Bitches Brew band play with an acoustic piano, but that's long been a dream of mine -- to hear that kind of material played with acoustic piano.

Now, the "Miles Ahead" footnote isn't entirely clear -- on this particular recording (the one about to be released) where there ANY of the Bitches Brew tunes played with acoustic piano?? And if so, which ones?? (Obviously I've never heard the recordings of this gig that circulate.)

The Stockholm concert has two sets. Corea's electric piano breaks down during the 1st set of "Bitches Brew", and he plays acoustic for the rest of the tune as well as "Paraphernalia", "Nefertiti", and "Masqualero". By the second set, the electric piano has apparently been fixed (or replaced).

There is also a partial recording from New Brunswick NJ (7/27/69) that has Chick playing acoustic piano. The group plays "Masqualero" and "Miles Runs the Voodoo Down".

Guy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any further news yet on Bootleg #2, such as a release date?

Probably jumping the gun here but does anyone have any ideas about what material might be contained on a putative Vol. 3? I have conjectured that it might be material from 1970, as there were a number of concerts recorded for Radio and TV during this time. Also the group(s) were incredible - you had the 'duelling keyboards' of Corea and Jarrett, and then the funky Jarrett/Henderson centred group that gave us the sublime Cellar Door performances.

Further volumes could include the '71, '73 and '75 tours. So much to look forward to!

Edited by Valeria Victrix

Google translation, for what it's worth - I know it's against forum rules to post the entire article, but I thought I'd make an exception in this "Czech case":

Miles Davis: official bootlegs come out of 1969

Columbia Publishing continues to publish previously unpublished recordings of Miles Davis. In September comes 3CD + DVD box titled "Bootleg Series Vol 2: Live 1969".

At the time of release of the album Bitches Brew Live (included concerts from the years 1969 to 1970) and Bootleg Series Vol 1 (concerts dating from 1967) on the fan forums speculated that what will be another concert complete with serial number 2nd Vol It was known that the Columbia for their own needs earlier marketing research did detect what kind of concert recordings of Miles Davis would be most interested.

At the same time scored the highest rungs of concert recordings from 1969: that is, from the time Davis jazzrock gradually switched to a proposed issue of the legendary album Bitches Brew (released 1970). The concerts in the years 1969-1970 it reflected a certain creative tension between the older acoustic quintet repertoire (such as Milestones, Footprints) and newly composed songs in the rock face in water (as Miles Runs the Voodoo Down or Sanctuary). For the band then being called the "Lost Quintet" and the trumpeter also included bassist Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter (tenor, soprano sax), Chick Corea (acoustic, later electric piano Rhodes) and Jack DeJohnetta (drums).

Box Vol 2, which comes 17th September, captures Davis's formation during the European tour in 1969. The three mentioned are two CD recordings of the famous French Juan-les-Pins (Antibes area) of 25 and 26 July 1969 and part of the concert from Stockholm (of 5 11). Swedish record is unique in that Chick Corea during the first set broke down electric piano, and he was forced to play the rest of the concert acoustically (although at that time with Davis played almost exclusively on Fender Rhodes). The additional DVD then comes the complete video recording of a concert in Berlin (7th 11th 1969).

Miles Davis tour in 1969 was part of a series of "Newport Jazz Festival in Europe", produced by George Wein. Concerts are often loaded when the national radio station in the country (such as ORTF, RAI, etc.) and just from their record company archives now draw on previously unpublished records publishing.

Complete Bootleg Series Vol 2: Live 1969 is already on sale in some online stores. It can be expected (as Vol 1) come out on LP.