Lance Armstrong

Because you're both Americans. No slight intended...

None taken; I knew that was the reason. We prefer our sports odd and complicated. Now that cricket thing has some possibilities; I can't figure it out for shit.

I don't really get the scoring, but a sport where a guy can score 100 runs in one at-bat is intriguing. The ball they use is hollow, which I found out by chance while walking by a cricket game and picking up an errant ball to toss back to the players. Cricket is pretty big in Brooklyn because we have a large number of folks from the Caribbean who all played it in their home countries.

No cricket ball I ever got hit by whilst batting inadequately was ever anything but solid and very hard. Not sure where the hollow Brooklyn-ball comes from. Always happy to derail a thread with cricket talk and I can't believe I missed the opportunity here earlier

and now back to what I suspect will be an excrutiating and cringe-making performance by LA - how can it be anything but?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally disgusted by all of this. I have come to be a fan of cycling over the past few years and the more I got into following cycling, the more I realized how dirty it was. I've also done some reading on Armstrong and believe that he deserves whatever repercussions from his confession he gets. His conduct throughout his career has been disgusting. That he has ruined so many lives is despicable. F him.

In addition to Lance, I am sooooo disappointed that Leipheimer's whole career was the product of doping. F him. I hope he never rides again. Add Zabriske, Danielson and Vande Velde to that list. Same with Hincapie and his "achievements". I thought that letting him lead the peloton onto the Champs Elysees last year was a totally hypocrital move by the entire peloton. As a casual fan, I used to look at the TdF standings and check where the Americans were. Usually it was Lance up near the top with Landis, Vande velde, Leipheimer in the mix. I thought it was great that they were successful in a sport dominated by Europeans. Total frauds.....and total letdowns. The rest of the peloton? - all frauds as well. Right now, no one is beyond suspicion to me. That include the Sky team of this past year with their questionable physician, all the race directors previously associated with doping, teams that have notoriously turned a blind eye towards doping like Astana and Katusha (who were denied a world tour license).

Barry Bonds - you have been passed in doping infamy.

I just hope my interest in cycling will carry through this transition period and that eventually a clean peloton will emerge.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Barry Bonds - you have been passed in doping infamy.

I think that eventually people will come to respect Armstrong for at least telling the truth. I don't think he'll ever be adored by the public like he was before though.

The difference to me with Bonds is that I doubt he will ever tell the truth. But for him it almost doesn't matter - he's never going to be adored by the public anyway.

Because you're both Americans. No slight intended...

None taken; I knew that was the reason. We prefer our sports odd and complicated. Now that cricket thing has some possibilities; I can't figure it out for shit.

I don't really get the scoring, but a sport where a guy can score 100 runs in one at-bat is intriguing. The ball they use is hollow, which I found out by chance while walking by a cricket game and picking up an errant ball to toss back to the players. Cricket is pretty big in Brooklyn because we have a large number of folks from the Caribbean who all played it in their home countries.

No cricket ball I ever got hit by whilst batting inadequately was ever anything but solid and very hard. Not sure where the hollow Brooklyn-ball comes from. Always happy to derail a thread with cricket talk and I can't believe I missed the opportunity here earlier

and now back to what I suspect will be an excrutiating and cringe-making performance by LA - how can it be anything but?

Cricket's got it's own scandals, of the match-fixing variety. And yes, cricket balls are indeed solid. The one which broke my (now permanently dysfunctional) finger in 2009 felt particularly so.

Much easier to never follow professional sports. Not sure why anyone thinks any of them are "clean." They are all just mass entertainment systems designed to relieve people of their money. Why should any athlete in any of them not use drugs? People get better entertainment value when the athletes are drugged.

Never liked the cyclist and voiced my opinion (and serious doubts about his 'cleanliness') on the old BNBB board and later on O.

Now that I have heard his confession, I feel hatred for him...

LIAR!!

It's truly pathetic, isn't it?

I wonder if cycling will ever really get over all this sh*t.

I guess that won't happen if the officials in the know will remain unbothered.

What totally adds to the disgust I feel about Armstrong is how he crushed his critics. And those stories of sending text messages with "sorry" in it ... what an asshole!

I wonder if cycling will ever really get over all this sh*t.

I guess that won't happen if the officials in the know will remain unbothered.

Call me naive but I feel that controls will become more effective (as was the case at the 2012 Tour de France). It's really up to the UCI to do a proper cleaning job. No mean task!

I can hardly wait for the start of the 2013 Tour!

And yet... he took cycling as he found it, and all his peers certainly cheated in exactly the same way.

No, I think he was worst than most in being a heavy pusher -- and someone who tried to and often did destroy the careers of those who blew the whistle on him. That puts him in a special category well beyond his peers.

And yet... he took cycling as he found it, and all his peers certainly cheated in exactly the same way.

No, I think he was worst than most in being a heavy pusher -- and someone who tried to and often did destroy the careers of those who blew the whistle on him. That puts him in a special category well beyond his peers.

Yes, that's exactly my impression. He's not the only one by far, of course, and he's not the only asshole either, but he's the worst of the bunch.

Let's hope brownie's right. One clear sign seems that speed has come down quite a bit on the 2012 tour if I remember right. I don't follow cycling closely at all, but I used to cycle professionally for several years in my (pre-)teens and I still somehow feel connected a little bit.