tom is a senior vp

kulu se mama

just reading the new ICE newsletter, and there is an article about the new norah jones cd. they quote tom evered, sr. vp of blue note records. i guess with all the extra norah money, everyone got a promotion.

just think, i remember when his biggest job was dealing with us on a daily basis.

i guess once they eliminated the board, he had a lot of extra time on his hand.

Wasn't he that "Tomato at Blue Note" guy? :g

I always thought he tried to post as much as possible, and as honestly as possible at the BNBB. He had his moments, but most of us did I'm guessing. And how many companies can you think of that has someone that high up in the organization that actually took time to communicate semi-regularly with their customers?

Either way, I always read that as "Tomato"...

I always appreciated Tom's input on the BNBB. It was never as much as I would have liked, but it was certainly much better than nothing. I remember asking several obscure questions of him, and getting answers to most of my questions.

His periodic posts are the only thing I miss about the old BNBB. Still, I'd much rather have this, than go back to that.

He was Vice President even back then. In fact, he was VP of both the Jazz & Classical groups. Even though some people here seem to think otherwise, he really did like dropping by the board and talking with us. In my eyes, his "lofty" title just emphasized how much he liked it. I wish more VP's would go on their company's web chat boards to talk with their customers.

So many here seem to judge the guy on his actions during the board going down, all the while forgetting how shitty that place was near the end. I tell you, if the crap that was going on there was going on here still, this place would suck too.

Kevin, I don't mean to put down the man, and I harbor no grudges from the BNBB. I just know that it many businesses, the term "Vice President" is thrown around a bit casually. Kind of like the Army today, where you seem to have more Sergeants than Privates, you know? Nothing against Tom himself; he seemed like a genuinely nice person.

In my job, I have 4 direct reports and "manager" is nowhere in my title. VP is three levels up from me. It's not a figurehead here. It's an important staff position that I hope someday I get to. Of course, there are several VP's on the president's staff. Does that make it less important?

As for Tom, When they were in their downtown offices, Tom's office was diagonal from Bruce Lundval, who had the proverbial "corner office with a view". However, if "size" means anything, Tom's office was as big as Bruce's and I tell you, it was friggin' packed with stuff. For all I know, he might have had a "fluff title" but I tell you, he had a lot of stuff going on around him and he has a large staff so he's at a minimum "Manager". It don't mean a thing to me. :)

You mileage may vary,

Kevin