You Know what Would Make an Awesome Mosaic or Select? Al Grey on Argo

I want to say there are five titles but I might be wrong ... Havin a Ball, Thinking Man's Trombone, Last of the Big Plungers, at least one date co-led by Billy Mitchell, Night Song ... might be more than five. And the Tangerine side is great too.

How much is there?

one of those al grey argos came out as a lpr a while back. i have it but though i've looked hard for it can't find it now. it's called something like snap your fingers or snap something. and i also agree that a select of them would be great. a great way of having them all together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If memory serves (no sure thing) those Argo's have pretty short playing time, maybe right for a Select.

There will be no more Selects, the series was axed by Mosaic. From now on they will exclusively release big boxes.

Edited by J.A.W.

If memory serves (no sure thing) those Argo's have pretty short playing time, maybe right for a Select.

There will be no more Selects, the series was axed by Mosaic. From now on they will exclusively release big boxes.

This may have been discussed but do you know why no more Selects. I assume existing inventory wasn't moving or not moving fast enough.

I've said it before so I'll say it again, Mosaic could do some great boxes if they could license some Bee Hive sessions. A complete Nick Brignola Bee Hive maybe? I've talked to Michael about it a few times and he's more than interested but says that label owner Jim Neumann won't do it. Shame that this great catalog goes unheard by so many of today's Jazz fans.

This may have been discussed but do you know why no more Selects. I assume existing inventory wasn't moving or not moving fast enough.

The series was not cost-effective; in other words, they were losing money on the Selects. The Singles series was also axed.

Edited by J.A.W.