Charlie Parker - Washington Concerts

Tom 1960

Joel, from an informative review on amazon.com by Jean-Marie Juif:

But to complete this CD, we now can listen to 35 more minutes of unissued music by Bird.Tracks 9 to 14 come from other concerts in Washington: tracks 9 to 12 were recorded at the Howard Theater on March 8,1953, with a trio composed of Jack Holliday,Franklin Skeete and Max Roach, while tracks 13 and 14 were taped at the same place,October 18,1952,with among others,Don Lamond,Zoot Sims,Charlie Byrd,Kay Winding and Earl Swope.Bird's playing is absolutely crazy on the March 1953 date.

Joel, from an informative review on amazon.com by Jean-Marie Juif:

But to complete this CD, we now can listen to 35 more minutes of unissued music by Bird.Tracks 9 to 14 come from other concerts in Washington: tracks 9 to 12 were recorded at the Howard Theater on March 8,1953, with a trio composed of Jack Holliday,Franklin Skeete and Max Roach, while tracks 13 and 14 were taped at the same place,October 18,1952,with among others,Don Lamond,Zoot Sims,Charlie Byrd,Kay Winding and Earl Swope.Bird's playing is absolutely crazy on the March 1953 date.

Max and some primo ex-Herders? I've heard the big band stuff already. I'd get it to hear Bird and Max together again. Thanks.

Coda: Board consenus may favor the small group over the big band overall and I suppose I wouldn't disagree, but Bird's playing on two of the big band tunes specificially -- "Willis" ("Pennies From Heaven") and "Thou Swell" are off the charts. Two of my favorite Bird solos bar none, especially the former. Edit: to note switch to "Thou Swell" from "Roundhouse" -- age playing tricks on me.

Edited by Mark Stryker

It has always irritated me that the BN tray info says tracks 9-14 are previously unissued. This material came to light on lp in 1983 on the VGM label. I still have my record. Pretty sure they either dubbed from the VGM lp or at least used the same source.

Is (was) VGM a legitimate label?

Never thought it was - that may explain why they refer too it as unissued.

Never thought it was - that may explain why they refer to it as unissued.

Even if the label wasn't legit this does not make the recordings "unissued". ^_^

Instances abound where the (legit or relatively legit) reissuers gleefully state "First official release ever" or "Released in authorized form for the first time" (or whatever) so why play hide and seek here?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Even if the label wasn't legit this does not make the recordings "unissued". ^_^

Instances abound where the (legit or relatively legit) reissuers gleefully state "First official release ever" or "Released in authorized form for the first time" (or whatever) so why play hide and seek here?

I know, but it seems common practice of majors to ignore such releases and label their first official releases as ... first ever releases. Not that I'd agree with that practice, was just asking ...

This is yet another indication that most of these labels (in their current state) know nothing about jazz fanatics. Can anyone here honestly state that they've made any purchase based on the inclusion of such a statement made/placed on a cd/album cover?

Can anyone here honestly state that they've made any purchase based on the inclusion of such a statement made/placed on a cd/album cover?

Yes - if I had REASONABLE grounds for the assumption that this statement was honest and true and if it was music (style, artist, etc.) where I'd go after almost anything that would come my way. Case in point: Those Uptown CDs. ;)

No idea if the statement on that Charlie Parker disc would have aroused my suspicion or not. There are so many Bird airshots, live recordings, etc. out there and who knows if I'd have had the definitive discography on hand to check (and then, often places and dates are identified incorrectly in there ...).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Can anyone here honestly state that they've made any purchase based on the inclusion of such a statement made/placed on a cd/album cover?

Yes - if I had REASONABLE grounds for the assumption that this statement was honest and true and if it was music (style, artist, etc.) where I'd go after almost anything that would come my way. Case in point: Those Uptown CDs. ;)

No idea if the statement on that Charlie Parker disc would have aroused my suspicion or not. There are so many Bird airshots, live recordings, etc. out there and who knows if I'd have had the definitive discography on hand to check (and then, often places and dates are identified incorrectly in there ...).

Well I suppose that for those who have been jazz fans for decades, this might be true. For those of us who have been listening to/collecting jazz for significantly fewer years, we just buy up everything in sight and ignore the lame statements :)