Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition

mjzee

I've heard 3 of the four albums here - Inflation Blues being the exception (so I'll be getting the box!). The first, self-titled, album is an absolute classic. Tin Can Alley and Album Album are both very good though not flawless.

According to Steve Lake over at Jazz Central Station, ECM is also on the verge of releasing a 6 CD box of Paul Motian's early ECM albums: Conception Vessel, Tribute, Dance, Le Voyage, Psalm and It Should've Happened a Long Time Ago. I believe Ethan Iverson is writing the liner notes.

I'll probably pick this up.

Hopefully an Abercrombie box with Arcade, M & Abercrombie Qt is in the works too. How about some live dates from that era with Abercrombie?

Or something special from Ralph Towner?

The initially planned set containing the Abercrombie/Towner albums was cancelled. There are still rumors that ECM is considering an Abercrombie set. I would definitely be all over that!

Haven't heard anything regarding a Towner set, though.

It seems that record companies are more apt to move things along once an artist passes, unfortunately.

Both good news to me, though I'm also more in favour of the Motian set, if it then happens.

I have the first three on LP or CD and they're very good (well, "Conception Vessel" is rather okay to good than very good, but Charles Brackeen and David Izenzon are effin' Charles Brackeen and David Izenzon, dig?).

Having Ethan Iverson write liners is a fine idea - his write-up on Motian was most enlightening, I found!

Huh, I didn't know the Motion/Brackeen/Izenon albums were on CD. ECM is tricky; such a jumble of LP, CD, OOP, reissue, import, domestic, etc.

Yes, ECM has licensing deals all over the world. Got those Motians directly from ECM about 15 years ago when most weren't yet available in the US. Psalm, I think, was the only one which was.

Edited by JETman