Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

On 7/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, jlhoots said:

I like the Rempis too. 

The Marion Brown is very good, if not as "edgy" as some of the others.

I really like the Marion Brown Bremen set. The music is top notch and the sound superb. Its pretty timeless set that could have been recorded anytime over the past fifty years

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Rempis's Aerophonic Records offers a nice 10th anniversary sale with free worldwide shipping: https://aerophonicrecords.com/10th-anniversary-sale/. Offer valid till July 18th only!

I paid $100, but have not decided what to order yet. Quite a few CDs are OOP.   

Look what a festival I am about to miss (scheduling conflict)!

https://www.konfrontationen.at/ko23/ 

• 1 month later...

Seems to me like it's been a quietish year this year for interesting new releases.

Now that we are reaching 3/4 was through, I'd be interested to know what thread-relevant releases from the last 12 months or so that people have listened to most this year?

(I.e., not what people listened to once and liked, but what's been spinning reasonably frequently.)

Edited by Rabshakeh

Let’s try - post pandemic recordings and especially live shows the best I’ve ever experienced over the last 12 months. 

The McPhee/Knuffke recording on Fundacja is the best free jazz record I’ve heard in a few years. Long which usually is tough but I find myself playing it often. Jay Rosen is stunning on this recording as is Michael Bisio. Impossible to put words to how great this session was & is. 78 minute / like a classic double LP. Plus one MUST hear Buffalos. MUST. 

quartet with Ivo Perelman & Ray Anderson - 2 CD set surprised me with it’s freshness. Again older school free jazz but I cannot get enough also Fundacja 

Matanzas on Relative Pitch with Steve Baczkowski, Brandon Lopez & Gerald Cleaver - astounding 

Red Planet / quartet on Relative Pitch 2 saxes & 2 drummers Marco Colonna & Edoardo Marraffa on saxophones. As good an interplay as I saw Saturday night with James McKain on tenor & Signe Emmeluth on alto with Brandon Lopez & Sofia Borges. Maybe THAT set will show up on CD as it was professionally recorded. Fwiw NOBODY here in New York is playing bass on the level of Brandon Lopez. Committed. 

Likht - duo with gabby fluke-mogul & Nava Dunkelman / again on Relative Pitch / can’t get enough of this 

Crying in space / Mette with Flaherty in a quartet with Corsano / burning - again relative pitch 

more later from other labels!!

wait until we hear the Chuck Roth recordings!!!!

Edited by Steve Reynolds

56 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Let’s try - post pandemic recordings and especially live shows the best I’ve ever experienced over the last 12 months. 

The McPhee/Knuffke recording on Fundacja is the best free jazz record I’ve heard in a few years. Long which usually is tough but I find myself playing it often. Jay Rosen is stunning on this recording as is Michael Bisio. Impossible to put words to how great this session was & is. 78 minute / like a classic double LP. Plus one MUST hear Buffalos. MUST. 

quartet with Ivo Perelman & Ray Anderson - 2 CD set surprised me with it’s freshness. Again older school free jazz but I cannot get enough also Fundacja 

Matanzas on Relative Pitch with Steve Baczkowski, Brandon Lopez & Gerald Cleaver - astounding 

Red Planet / quartet on Relative Pitch 2 saxes & 2 drummers Marco Colonna & Edoardo Marraffa on saxophones. As good an interplay as I saw Saturday night with James McKain on tenor & Signe Emmeluth with Brandon Lopez & Sofia Borges. Maybe THAT set will show up on CD as it was professionally recorded. 

Likht - duo with gabby fluke-mogul & Nava Dunkelman / again on Relative Pitch / can’t get enough of this 

Crying in space / Mette with Flaherty in a quartet with Corsano / burning - again relative pitch 

more later from other labels!!

wait until we hear the Chuck Roth recordings!!!!

Good stuff!

I think the biggest risk with all this stuff is that it comes out, we listen once, and never revisit. Good to know what stays exciting.

577 records

New Playfield as with all volumes get repeated listens 

CollapseUnCollapse with Mark Sanders, Chris Mapp & Andrew Woodhead

Fathom with John Butcher, Pat Thomas, Dominic Lash & Steve Noble

Secret Handshake with Danger volume 2

Towards the Flame with Robert Mitchell, Neil Charles & Mark Sanders / incredible 

All the new Matchless recordings will be played often. Prevost full power at 80. Duo with Rowe (AMM) from July 2022 at Cafe Oto is priceless. The previous 3 CD box with Rowe, Tilbury & Prevost is extraordinary. Then again I’m an AMM fanatic and a true believer in all things Keith Rowe.

most of the newish erstwhile recordings will be played often. Big fan of Vanessa Rossetto. Can’t listen enough as well as Graham Lambkin. 

aerophonic

Harvesters with Rempis’ double drummer quartet

Earscratcher with Lonberg-Holm, Harnik & Daisy

Scylla with Ra, Baker & Abrams

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I forgot this from my earlier list

Caroline Kraabel & Neil Metcalfe - March

I seem to have focussed exclusively on UK improv this year, so far.

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

577 records

New Playfield as with all volumes get repeated listens 

CollapseUnCollapse with Mark Sanders, Chris Mapp & Andrew Woodhead

Fathom with John Butcher, Pat Thomas, Dominic Lash & Steve Noble

Secret Handshake with Danger volume 2

Towards the Flame with Robert Mitchell, Neil Charles & Mark Sanders / incredible 

All the new Matchless recordings will be played often. Prevost full power at 80. Duo with Rowe (AMM) from July 2022 at Cafe Oto is priceless. The previous 3 CD box with Rowe, Tilbury & Prevost is extraordinary. Then again I’m an AMM fanatic and a true believer in all things Keith Rowe.

most of the newish erstwhile recordings will be played often. Big fan of Vanessa Rossetto. Can’t listen enough as well as Graham Lambkin. 

aerophonic

Harvesters with Rempis’ double drummer quartet

Earscratcher with Lonberg-Holm, Harnik & Daisy

Scylla with Ra, Baker & Abrams

I like the look of a lot of them, Steve. I ordered the Prevost/Rowe at the weekend.

I wish 577 had better distribution here. They seem to be focussing on UK players too recently 

I also find myself in the situation where I listen to a new release once, say "this is good", and then never return to it. There is just too much (good) stuff released these days. 577 Records releases a couple of albums per week, there is no way I can possibly catch up. Here are a few new-ish releases from the last couple of years I returned to with pleasure (but still maybe three-four times tops - this is what passes for "rewarding repeated listening" these days :( ). Please note that some of these could be called "avant" only by the standards of the Organissimo forums:

1. Jennifer Allum; John Butcher; Ute Kanngiesser; Eddie Prévost - Sounds of Assembly (Ftarri)

2. Hafez Modirzadeh - Facets (Pi Recordings) - this one I listened to the most of the bunch

3. Jane Ira Bloom; Mark Helias - Some Kind of Tomorrow

4. Michael Moore; Paul Berner - Amulet

5. INAWHIRL (Georg Gräwe; Sara Kowal; dieb13) - Streugebilde (Random Acoustics)

6. Max Johnson Trio - Orbit of Sound

7. Cath Roberts; Olie Brice - Conduits (Relative Pitch)

8. There Be Monsters (Boštjan Simon) - Rubikon (klopotek)

9. Barry Guy And Friends - Kraków 2018 (NotTwo)

10. Maya Homburger; Barry Guy; Lucas Niggli – Acanthis (Maya Recordings)

Edited by Д.Д.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, unitstructures said:

Tzadik has just put a large amount of their catalog on streaming services.

Thanks to letting us know. That's pretty big news. 

I don't think that this place is exactly a hive of Zorn fans (particularly compared to the rest of the internet) but Tzadik's absence has been felt. It is, or at least at one time was, one of the biggest labels for this kind of music, and it's been unfortunate not to have its catalogue streamable or even downloadable on Bandcamp.

I very much enjoyed the Bobby Previte Miro record today. There are quite a few other records that I am looking forward to revisiting or listening to again.

Just a thought 

If “Coming Down the Mountain” or “Dahabenzapple” came out today, it would still be as current as anything today. Both are now 30 years old. Still the greatest jazz recordings I know of. Seeing Mat Maneri again next week with Lucian Ban, Brandon Lopez and the *great* Randy Peterson

8 hours ago, unitstructures said:

Tzadik has just put a large amount of their catalog on streaming services.

Thanks for pointing this out! I remember visiting the UK in 2007 or so, one of the first things I did was install spotify and listen to all those Tzadik releases that were available then... (Other stuff, too, but Tzadik was really a priority)... I was a bit sad to see them give up on streaming and also followed there releases much less since they're so plenty and quite expensive over here...

Also they're quite productive... I just counted 107 new John Zorn albums on spotify which were released since the last one I am familiar with from 2011 (and that count isn't even complete because there are albums like Virtue where he's the leader in the cover but not on Spotify)