• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ditto on Zorn.

Well, Zorn probably wrote another 200 pieces today, so you never know. Or maybe you do.

I remember actually liking this one when it came out in 2007 (the cardboard cover was rose scented!). Haven't listened to it for ages, not sure what I would make of it now: 

1 minute ago, Д.Д. said:

Well, Zorn probably wrote another 200 pieces today, so you never know. Or maybe you do.

I remember actually liking this one when it came out in 2007 (the cardboard cover was rose scented!). Haven't listened to it for ages, not sure what I would make of it now: 

I came to jazz through Zorn (more or less), but I find it very confusing why I liked him so much when I listen to his records now. 

There was something about it that was thrilling against the background of the 90s and early 00s music scene that no longer translates, or which has become too ubiquitous to be special without something else to make it stand out. It just seems a bit dilettentish to me from the point of view of 2023.

Plus he decided he was more of a composer than a musician and I don't really like his compositions (not that I'm mad on his horn playing but at least with an alto in hand there was a will to chaos involved).

55 minutes ago, Niko said:

Yes, Minimal Brass is amazing! Also looking forward to discovering Wadada Leo Smith on Tzadik beyond the Kabell Years box

Another Minimal Brass fan here. All the Wadadas are well worth a listen.

Kabell Years was a great service to music. Justifies Tzadik's existence alone

Edited by mjazzg

• 3 weeks later...

I listened to some somewhere online this week but don't ask me to remember where... today's most helpful post 

21 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Can you listen to samples?

If it's on the Squidco site they usually have samples but that's not where I heard it

Here...

https://music.frozenreeds.com/album/duo-in-concert

Edited by mjazzg

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Perelman in a bigger group is unusual I think. I thought this sounded promising

https://sluchaj.bandcamp.com/album/seven-skies-orchestra-2

Great musicians. Sure would like a drummer. That being said, Maneri, Wooley, Moran & Lonberg-Holm et al is tempting. 

fwiw as great as Mat Maneri is in record, the last 2 quartet shows over the last 10 days featured his best playing live I’ve heard in 6-7 years. Last night in Kingston, NY was an incredible 80 minute set. Second set 10 days ago at Jazz Gallery in NYC might have been even better. Randy Peterson rules the world:)

I think I have most of Gush CDs, and the only one I really liked was a somewhat uncharacteristic one - Gushwachs with Phil Wachsmann. I love Strid, but sort of indifferent to Gustafsson and really dislike Sandell. This NotTwo set has some interesting Gushguests - I am particularly intrigued by Christine Abdelnour / Philipp Wachsmann combo, but it's still most likely a pass for me.    

Talking of Strid (aren't we always?), he has a bandcamp page where he posts some good stuff: https://raymondstrid.bandcamp.com/ 

On 10/16/2023 at 8:28 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Why do you hate Sandell?

lots of people don’t like Mats

I don't like Sandell's always-on-the-high-notes semi-random plink-plank style (I dislike Van Hove for the same reason). His vocalizing is annoying too. I am sure this clarifies it. 

I like Gustafsson on tenor, he can play gorgeously - like on this release, for example: https://www.discogs.com/release/2008024-Boots-Brown-Boots-Brown . But his baritone or (God forbid) flutophone ... I mean it surely is entertaining for a couple of minutes (Mats getting all red like he's about to explode adds additional comic value) and even awe-inspiring volume-wise - but becomes annoying very fast (IMHO, of course).           

16 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

I don't like Sandell's always-on-the-high-notes semi-random plink-plank style (I dislike Van Hove for the same reason). His vocalizing is annoying too. I am sure this clarifies it. 

I like Gustafsson on tenor, he can play gorgeously - like on this release, for example: https://www.discogs.com/release/2008024-Boots-Brown-Boots-Brown . But his baritone or (God forbid) flutophone ... I mean it surely is entertaining for a couple of minutes (Mats getting all red like he's about to explode adds additional comic value) and even awe-inspiring volume-wise - but becomes annoying very fast (IMHO, of course).           

I always appreciate your honest commentary

I was at a gig last night. 3 short sets by 3 groups.  Mostly very young. Incredibly loud and very energetic. First trio was Chuck Roth on guitar, Ron Anderson on electric bass & James Paul Nadian on drums. Best and loudest of the groups despite that the older dude who played last night was the weakest. Anderson is a fine bassist but Chuck & James brought the heat. But hard to really know the depth of this or the other sets. But seeing these sets is invigorating. Will be great to see them grow. Key is allow silence & softer passages. Usually happens with dedication. Will see more experienced musicians Thursday. 

55 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I always appreciate your honest commentary

I was at a gig last night. 3 short sets by 3 groups.  Mostly very young. Incredibly loud and very energetic. First trio was Chuck Roth on guitar, Ron Anderson on electric bass & James Paul Nadian on drums. Best and loudest of the groups despite that the older dude who played last night was the weakest. Anderson is a fine bassist but Chuck & James brought the heat. But hard to really know the depth of this or the other sets. But seeing these sets is invigorating. Will be great to see them grow. Key is allow silence & softer passages. Usually happens with dedication. Will see more experienced musicians Thursday. 

Nadien is a terrific drummer; I will be recording with him in January.

Very curious as to who the weak link was (older dude). It wasn't me.

27 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

Nadien is a terrific drummer; I will be recording with him in January.

Very curious as to who the weak link was (older dude). It wasn't me.

Ron Anderson / weak is a very relative term. Probably too strong. Issue is that Chuck Roth (26 years old) is one of the greatest young guitarists I’ve seen. My friend Kevin called Chuck a wunderkind. Recordings should start coming out soon. Incredibly original and very intense. 

Plus the bass amp wasn’t designed for a bass so his sound was a bit covered up. Nice dude, fwiw.

second group was strong as well. Tom Weeks on alto, James McKain on tenor, Caroline Morton on double bass & Kevin Murray on drums. Out of Ayler but with a current modern touch. The 2 saxophones were tremendous. I’ve seen James McKain quite a few times this year and he is excellent. Great taste. Knows what the fuck is up. Very learned and is a critical listener. Was very impressed first time seeing or hearing Tom Weeks. Caroline Morton is young and just another one of the great young woman musicians on the scene. Very inspiring and invigorating to these older ears. Murray is a beast. They are starting to find space and the saxophonists both know when to step back. Strong listening all around. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds