Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

58 minutes ago, Clunky said:

a0158471649_10.jpg

I took a chance on this relatively recent release on Discus. It's as good as the samples on Bandcamp would suggest. I'm not familiar to any of the musicians on this release. The leader plays the trumpet. A modern version of Bubber Miley with lots of lovely growling and fluttering sounds. Very convincing effort.

Charlotte Keefe----Alive! in the studio ----(Discus)

Keeffe is great, she has another leader date on Discus, released before this one featuring a range of group sizes

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Williams & Patrick Shiroishi – Sans Soleil

a3374558606_65.jpg.643e02b40c2a6423f24ff500044b1086.jpg

What's the view here on Patrick Shiroishi?

He's a name that comes up on other corners of the internet (e.g. Twitter and Reddit) frequently as a leading recent saxophonist. But he's never / rarely discussed here.

I don't really hear it, personally.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

New name to me, I'll have a listen

Not sure that this is the one with which to start. He has done loads. They seem pretty ordinary to me.

Borasisi (solo) and Resting in the Heart of Green Shade (with a group including Vinny Golia) are maybe the standout ones to which I've listened. Both are good. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Should be a recording of Rubin Kodheli, Mary Halvorson, Trevor Dunn & Brian Chase from this past Sunday night!!

and Ches Smith, Mary & Nick Dunston from 2 weeks ago

plus a trio with Mary, Tomas Fujiwara & Henry Fraser from 2/14

among the numerous shows I’ve seen these might have been the best this month.

all freely improvised magical performances 

Mary is best in these small group improv settings 

Latest arrival from Newcastle 

John Pope——Citrintas——-(New jazz & improvised music recordings)

Not sure what prompted buying this other than hearing some nice sounding clips on Bandcamp.  It’s a soulful quintet ( no piano or guitar) . Grooves nicely and makes a good first impression. Hope that doesn’t sound like feint praise as the music strikes me as accessible but still adventurous. Any one else heard of this group. 

46 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Not sure what prompted buying this other than hearing some nice sounding clips on Bandcamp.  It’s a soulful quintet ( no piano or guitar) . Grooves nicely and makes a good first impression. Hope that doesn’t sound like feint praise as the music strikes me as accessible but still adventurous. Any one else heard of this group. 

Yes, I like it for the same reasons as you.

I tend to buy everything Pope releases, he's an interesting new voice 

20 hours ago, Clunky said:

I really enjoyed that Water Music record that he did with John Garner.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a3165906988_16.jpg

Listening on bandcamp, going to purchase. Trio w. Michael Bisio, Newman Taylor Baker.

Bisio regularly hosts music events not far from me and I've often heard him live with Shipp in various configurations.

On 4/15/2024 at 7:10 PM, jazzbo said:

I ordered that yesterday, looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Ordered 

The box set is very good indeed. I wasn't able to get to the Oto residency they did last week, bet that was blistering 

42 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Bandcamp? - Where does this ship from??

Based on the bandcamp site quoting price in Swedish Krona (SEK), I assume Sweden.

I initially stopped there, BUT on review the shipping fee is actually quite reasonable, although I expect the effective exchange rate (net of credit card or Paypal surcharge) to be less favorable than quoted:

"that’s $45.69 USD, plus $9.59 shipping for United States."

Edited by T.D.

9 hours ago, T.D. said:

Based on the bandcamp site quoting price in Swedish Krona (SEK), I assume Sweden.

I initially stopped there, BUT on review the shipping fee is actually quite reasonable, although I expect the effective exchange rate (net of credit card or Paypal surcharge) to be less favorable than quoted:

That's less than I paid and I collected it from Café Oto!

16 hours ago, T.D. said:

Tempted. 😎

Me too. I put one in my cart to check shipping costs and was pleasantly surprised.

Second time it's happened recently: I bought some CDs direct from Graindelavoix (classical vocal ensemble) in Belgium and US postage was also reasonable. The package was cheaper than it would've been buying from US dealers. 👍

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Me too. I put one in my cart to check shipping costs and was pleasantly surprised.

Second time it's happened recently: I bought some CDs direct from Graindelavoix (classical vocal ensemble) in Belgium and US postage was also reasonable. The package was cheaper than it would've been buying from US dealers. 👍

What US dealer(s) have it??