Off-center pressings

mjzee

The best I've done is widened the spindle hole with a pocket knife, and then made a small mark on the label indicating the direction the LP should be shifted. Hardly ideal and not an exact science, but it works.

That's what I do - firstly I watch the arm wave forward and back while the record goes around.. when it reaches the position furthest from the spindle, just before it starts to swing back in I note where on the record label it's lined up with, and scrape a little from the edge of the hole at that point.. and keep doing it in small increments until it's right (this way you don't end up with a big round hole but a minimal oval one.

Stamper on one side mounted improperly.

That's the type of off-centre pressing I've mostly seen. I used to have a turntable where you could take the centre spindle out; I'd made a mark on the label, like CIH does, so I'd know how to lay the disc on the mat, and play it. Unfortunately, my current turntable doesn't have a removable spindle, so I just don't play those sides any more.

MG

• 3 weeks later...