Richard Davis

colinmce

Let's not forget it was Richard Davis on bass on those Creative Construction Company sessions from 1970(71?).Anthony Braxton,Leo Smith,Leroy Jenkins,Muhal Richard Abrams,Steve McCall.Quite a lineup of lean and hungry musicians.

I have the first volume of the two sessions on a Japanese Muse cd.Too bad the second volume has yet to see the light of day on cd.I'm not even sure the first volume is still in print.Top shelf music.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget it was Richard Davis on bass on those Creative Construction Company sessions from 1970(71?).Anthony Braxton,Leo Smith,Leroy Jenkins,Muhal Richard Abrams,Steve McCall.Quite a lineup of lean and hungry musicians.

I have the first volume of the two sessions on a Japanese Muse cd.Too bad the second volume has yet to see the light of day on cd.I'm not even sure the first volume is still in print.Top shelf music.

I agree that those are worthwhile albums; some creative improvising on them, for sure. Interestingly, Leroy Jenkins hated the album covers and told me he thought they were "the ugliest of his career." I never really understood that as I thought they were rather distinctive. But Leroy was adamant. To each his own.

Big fan as well. When I see his name on an album I know it'll be worth checking out. I have soo many albums with him playing bass as I'm sure everyone else here. The Booker Ervin, Eric Dolphy and Andrew Hill albums are probably my favorites though someone mentioned his work with Walt Dickerson which I also really dig.

"Lemme tell you a sideline story," says Richard Davis. "I was in my car about a year or two ago, and when I turned the radio on there was a jazz show. I remember [listening to] the bass player, and I said to myself, 'Good God, who is that? I hope I never run into that guy!' After the song was over, the DJ said, 'That was Andrew Hill with Richard Davis on bass.'" Davis erupts in a throaty laugh and says, "It was myself! I thought, 'Damn, I should get back to doing some of that.'"

JazzTimes, April 2005

I had an experience like that. I walked into a record store and heard the music playing over the store's sound system. I immediately thought, wow, what bass playing! Who IS that? Then Bobby Hutcherson's vibes came in with the characteristic sound of "Out To Lunch." So then I knew I had been listening to Richard Davis.

I had an odd encounter with Richard Davis once. I was working in a jazz record store circa 1978. We had gotten in a bunch of Denon imports from Japan (these were considered audiophile pressings, as well as being titles not available in the U.S.). I was working the cash register. A man comes over holding one of the Denon releases. He introduced himself as Richard Davis and asked me "where did you get these? Because this company doesn't have the rights to sell them in this country." If it wasn't a Richard Davis-led session, then it was one he played on. What could I say? I felt for the guy, but had no knowledge of the buying side of the business. I hemmed and hawed and basically said, look, I only work the cash register. Eventually he walked out; I don't think he bought the record.

I think Kent Kessler deserves to be in the sequence

Not before Brian Sandstrom or Curt Bley from the Russell crew or Russell Thorne from the earlier Joe Daley trio!

Maybe not before Eddie de Haas, Charles Clark, Leonard Jones, Mchaka Uba and a bunch of others.

Kessler is wonderful but the Chicago heritage is rich.

edit to ad a comma.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Not before Brian Sandstrom or Curt Bley from the Russell crew or Russell Thorne from the earlier Joe Daley trio!

Maybe not before Eddie de Haas, Charles Clark, Leonard Jones, Mchaka Uba and a bunch of others.

edit to ad a comma.

Don't forget Betty Dupree. I'll never forget her on the stand at the Gate of Horn on Monday nights circa 1956-7 in IIRC a skin-tight yellow cocktail dress. Also at that venue on Monday nights as a member of the more or less regular rhythm section (with Jodie Christian and Wilbur Campbell), Victor Sproles.

Detroit is pretty heavyweight too, though more along the the bebop to post-bop to funk continuum without much free/post-free. In roughtly chronological order: Al McKibbon Paul Chambers, Doug Watkins, Ron Carter, Cecil McBee, James Jamerson, Michael Henderson, Ralphe Armstrong, Jaribu Shahid, Bob Hurst, Rodney Whitaker. Among the secondary line: Ernie Farrow, Ray McKinney, Ali Jackson Sr., Herman Wright

I do remember something in the old Saturday Review about Richard Davis & Roy Eldridge listening to Trane at either the Vanguard or the Five Spot & Roy said (paraphrasing from memory), "you know, Richard, I don't know if I can get to where Trane is going" and Richard replying (again, paraphrasing from memory), "well, Roy, I don't think that Trane's waiting for you". And then Roy bristled, or some such.

That's one of my favorite Jazz Words To Live By, along with Cecil Taylor commenting on how 75% of his audience leaves before the gig is half over by saying "Screw 'em. I play for the 25% that stays".

edit to ad a comma.

Don't forget Betty Dupree. I'll never forget her on the stand at the Gate of Horn on Monday nights circa 1956-7 in IIRC a skin-tight yellow cocktail dress. Also at that venue on Monday nights as a member of the more or less regular rhythm section (with Jodie Christian and Wilbur Campbell), Victor Sproles.

Bill Johnson, John Lindsay (not born here, but...)