Do you buy CD duplicates of your LPs?

Leeway

I was wondering if others will buy a CD version of an LP they have, or, as often happens with me, an LP version of something I have on CD. This usually happens with me on Blue Note and some Impulse titles. Typically I will have the CD; then I spot an LP version and feel I have to have the vinyl. OTOH, sometimes I will have a title on LP, then feel like I need to get the CD version,such as a Conn, RVG or Mosaic version. How many of you end up with duplicates like this?

I've gotten a lot of lps out of used bins, and they vary in condition from excellent to plowed. So I'll always considering a cd duplicate if my lp is in bad enough condition, and/or if the cd is found at a good price. But it's not automatic, not by a long shot. I'd just as soon spend the same $$ on something I don't have in ANY format.

Bonus cuts, worthy annotation, and other "extras" make it a whole 'nother ballgame however. That's not really a "duplicate", as much as it is an "enhancement" of the original issue.

As far as buying lps if I already have the cd, yeah, sure, but not for no big bucks, and only if the esthetic appeal of the larger package is on at least a par with that of the music. Or if it tickles my inner geek. ;)

Edited by JSngry

Me too, rather from vinyl to CD than the other way round.

I got several things on LP that I never had a chance to pick up on CD (the Monk/Nichols Savoy, Mingus at Monterey, some cheap bootlegs by Miles, and Tadd Dameron etc). Sometimes, if something gets reissued on CD, I update, but not always.

Then Blue Note is a special case, as I love lots of their covers. I got several Conns on LP and CD, and one or two on LP only (I would have them on CD, too, had I found them in time).

ubu

I have run out of space to store my LPs so I have just about put a stop to some fifty years of buying vinyl. Except for a very rare item and if the price is reasonable.

I still buy CDs including reissues of LPs I already have if the reissue includes interesting additional material.

I have a lot of Blue Note LPs, many in mono sound. I will buy the CD reissue even it it does not include additional material if the music is in stereo sound (I usually find the mono LP sound to be much more informative). But I tend to be a completist as far as the Lion-Wolff BN material is concerned.

Of the Mosaic sets I have, most of them are vinyls. But I purchased the Herbie Nichols CD box reissue just to enjoy the music on my car stereo...

Given the choise, I will play vinyl rather than CD. That's the way my ears like it...

I've always upgraded from vinyl to CD, but recently I spotted a pretty nice copy of Don Wilkerson's Shoutin' and began to wonder about it, even though I have the TOCJ. I also came close to rationalizing a purchase due to its potential resale value, but that was kind of iffy due to the fairly high price the shop wanted. It was VG to VG+, they wanted $25 for it. Of course, if I hadn't had the CD I'd have snatched it in a heartbeat.

I've always upgraded from vinyl to CD, but recently I spotted a pretty nice copy of Don Wilkerson's Shoutin' and began to wonder about it, even though I have the TOCJ. I also came close to rationalizing a purchase due to its potential resale value, but that was kind of iffy due to the fairly high price the shop wanted. It was VG to VG+, they wanted $25 for it. Of course, if I hadn't had the CD I'd have snatched it in a heartbeat.

Considering that an "EX" copy of that record (in Stereo, mind you) went for around $150 on eBay recently, I'd say $25 is reasonable if it's not too marked up.

I'm all for vinyl, and usually buy LPs as 'upgrades' from CDs. But then I get to work and find I have nothing to listen to...

I had most of the Johnny Smith Roost albums on LP and even when new they were never any bargain when it came to good sound. When the Mosaic set came out I ordered immediately and can say for those of you in doubt about this set that it is great and the sound quality is a vast improvement on the original LPs.

From AMG: Johnny Smith is an exquisite jazz guitarist known mostly to fellow musicians and serious jazz fans. This beautifully packaged and expertly annotated eight-CD limited-edition boxed set from Mosaic includes his complete small-group recordings for Roost, most of which have languished out of print for decades. Smith's unique voicings on his instrument set him apart from other players, yet he maintains a lush, crystal-clear tone no matter the tempo or setting. Smith draws from a wide range of sources within the 22 featured sessions, ranging from show tunes and standards ("My Funny Valentine," "Yesterdays," "'I'll Remember April," and "Body and Soul") to jazz compositions by Duke Ellington, George Shearing, John Lewis, and Bud Powell, along with a number of his superb originals, which have been unjustly overlooked. The best-known material comes from the three 1952 sessions which made up Moonlight in Vermont, featuring Smith with either Stan Getz or Zoot Sims, and a meeting with some of New York's busiest session musicians (Hank Jones, George Duvivier, and Ed Shaughnessey). Especially rewarding is the first of two solo efforts by Smith, which draws from the vast Jimmy Van Heusen songbook. The guitarist is never disappointing, even on the few dates which fall outside of jazz. Pick up this valuable boxed set right away before you have to resort to paying an exorbitant price through an auction.

Edited by jazzman4133

If it's something I really dig and I think the cd will sound better than the lp. then I will buy a cd issue of something I already have on vinyl. Bonus material sweetens the deal and can make it irrisistable. Usually I find the cd sound IS an improvement - but not always. Used lps are a real crapshoot. I'll only buy them if the price is right.

Since I upgraded my old Thorens with a new Lynn analog front end, I rediscovered my Lp collection.

I found Lps sound considerably better than cds.

I buy Lps wich I am intersted even if I have a cd copy, I sell the replaced cd if the digital mastering is old (pre '90) or the bonus track is lacking or artistically trascurable, otherways I keep them both.

In Italy is difficult to find good used copies of Lps, Ebay is good only for big purchase like Mosaic boxes, because the shipping is expensive and unsafe for a single Lp, (I lost several stuffs via USPS or Italian PS), for a Box (usually more than hundred bucks) you could spend at least 20 bucks to get them safe, not worthy for a 20 bucks Lp).

I buy Lps if they have a good pressing from analogue source, I buy them on american websites because Euro/dollar exchange rates is good, they are cheaper even with shipping and custom taxes

I own only one collection, both on CD and on vinyl. It's the 1976 Woody Herman 40th Anniversary Concert at Cagnegie Hall, my favourite concert. I had the CD first, then I was in my vinyl emporium, and there the two-record vinyl was and I loved the cover notes.

Otherwise, it's either I have the CD OR the vinyl and alternate formats, sometimes in the same evening, or day. I'm too cheap to duplicate the LP's I already have, with the CD. I know that there is additional added material on the CD quite often, but I resist. :D

Edited by patricia

I sell vinyl if there's a CD out that sounds as good and includes bonus material. Some vinyl I keep if there are some very special memories associated with them, or if the cover sucks in the smaller format. If an LP sounds much better, I will keep it. I try to avoid duplications as space is limited and I use sales to finance new purchases. So far there haven been only a handful of LPs whose sale I regretted.

I am not that picky about sound, and think a lot of the talk about LPs sounding better is either plain nostalgia and listening habits, or due to the fact that these people have far better playback equipment for vinyl than for CD, and of course due to the fact that CD technology has some years to catch up to as far as optimum playback techniques are concerned.

tons of dupes here, these are different media, for totally different situations. But now I am starting to eye my dupe LPs as a source of cash. Having to run to my chair after setting down the arm is a real drag. I love the LP sound and experience, but I am concluding the ritual is not really worth the effort. And I love random access and the ability to enjoy CDs anywhere.

I got rid of all my vinyl (this was before I was buying jazz) and bought everything I really liked on CD. The one thing I really miss is looking at each track and looking at the lighter & darker vinyl in the same song. It's like looking at the personality of a song. I'll also miss album covers being bigger. Did anyone notice around 1986 that any vinyl album was so light you could see through it when held up to a light? And because of this, they were always warped. I was pissed as I felt I was forced into buying cds because the vinyl was so fucking shoddy. All my Monkees 1986 reissues, all warped! :angry:

Not as a rule, but I'm eagerly awaiting the CD release of The Name of this Band is Talking Heads, so I guess I do. My stereo equipment is strictly low grade, and at least I know I'm not doing any damage to the CDs by playing them. I love vinyl, and the older I get the more I miss the jackets, but still, as a practical matter, the CD is more convenient.