Jodie Christian

Jim Alfredson

Today I aided in the transfer of some 2" 16 track masters from our own Mr. Nessa. I'm not sure how much I can talk about the session in question, but it's from 1977 and the pianist is Jodie Christian (he is not the leader). I'm really enjoying his playing on these tapes. Any other suggestions for recordings of his either as a leader or sideman?

The tapes in question are from my 2 sessions with Ira Sullivan. In addition to Ira and Jodie, the players are Dan Shapera on bass, Wilbur Campbell on drums and a Sullivan student named Simon Salz on guitar. I think we captured some of Jodie's best playing on these sessions.

The tapes in question are from my 2 sessions with Ira Sullivan. In addition to Ira and Jodie, the players are Dan Shapera on bass, Wilbur Campbell on drums and a Sullivan student named Simon Salz on guitar. I think we captured some of Jodie's best playing on these sessions.

Is this one of them: http://www.allmusic.com/album/ira-sullivan-1977-mw0000868543?

Any idea when they will be released?

Hans has identified the recording. To be clear, my mention of 2 sessions referred to 2 times in the studio, not 2 different releases.

Jeff used a track from the lp to lead off blindfold test #110 and Simon got some bad reviews. Jeff also mentioned he would repeat a story I told him about the sessions in his wrap-up of the BFT.

Warning for Hans, Jodie plays electric piano on two tracks of the eventual cd.

As far as Jodie Christian albums go, I like Rain or Shine, with some great trombone playing by our own Free for All, as well as some more off-center contributions by Roscoe Mitchell. And being an off-center guy myself, I like hearing Christian on Roscoe's albums, like The Flow of Things and Hey Donald - a context which I imagine stretched Christian beyond his comfort zone. That stuff won't be to everyone's tastes, though - especially The Flow of Things, which is a pretty challenging album.

Is this one of them: http://www.allmusic.com/album/ira-sullivan-1977-mw0000868543?

Any idea when they will be released?

How did this wind up on Flying Fish?

I made a distribution deal with Flying Fish (a relatively large folk/bluegrass label based in Chicago) to sell my products in the US. Bruce Kaplan, owner of FF, was curious to see if the label names and their fans would react differently to jazz releases. We tried the experiment with the Sulllivan on Fish and a new Air record on Nessa. Not sure we proved/settled anything but the Air record was the winner. Though I could sell more jazz records, the average sale of Flying Fish records far out paced items in my catalog.

Jodie Christian's comfort range is broader than you'd expect, especially as he's not stylistically a "post-Cecil Taylor" pianist, and finds his own voice in those Roscoe Mitchell albums. Christian attended the initial meetings of the AACM, fwiw, too.

Love the interplay between Ira and Wilbur Campbell on The Girl from Ipanema.

I first heard Jodie Christian on some Eddie Harris albums, and liked him from the start. He displayed quite a range of styles, from boogaloo grooves to free style playing, and always convinced me. I saw that Ira Sullivan on Flying Fish on the lists of some German mail order shop back then but missed it - I think I will get me a copy now.

• 9 months later...