Dootone and Crown Records reissues

Head Man

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the font that Mosaic uses?

No, it's less tall and the photo needs a border, but the photo you've found is dead right.

MG

It's wrong by era. I'd need a photo from late '50's - early '60's. And maybe change the title to The Complete Redd Foxx Dooto Recordings.

Edited by mjzee

This means Counce now has 1 title currently in print. A shame.

Yes, it IS a shame. This Dootone plus the three/four on Contemporary make a very nice selection of hard, West-Coast jazz.

I seem to recall that all the music on these albums was released by one of the Andorran labels a while back..was it Gambit? That's probably why all the "proper" releases have gone OOP

Yes, it wasGambit, but I doubt that would be enough to drive them out of print on Contemporary. More likely the Concord bean counters saw there was insufficient sales history.

Yeah, most likely. Mosaic was considering a Select, too bad that never came to pass.

As a disappointing addendum, the OOP CDs are very pricy to boot.

Dang, I would have loved a Curtis Counce Select.

Dang.

u guys i saw on my vacation this really cool EARLY (maybe not 50s but definetly no later than mid 60s) japan copy of the Dex, but the vinyl was shellac or styrene and it would of definetly broke in my suitcase, so i passed. i have an original of the buddy collette, watch out for that tonearm on the last groove....ouch! wonder if they actually have the masters for these. im guessing prob not. i wonder where they are!

How about this?

bravo, mjzee... one thing tho' is that photo of Redd is anachronistic for the Dootone set... how about this Redd instead?

also, don't forget Redd's Dootoon label mate, Scatman Crothers.

Tell Cuscuna to send the check to me. (Font I used: Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold.)

post-850-0-92254800-1374875943_thumb.jpg

Re: Curtis Counce - the Gambit set did not include the Dooto LP, just the Contemporary sides, but not everything - just 23 of the 30 tracks recorded plus 3 recorded for the Stars of Jazz TV show. They left off the 3 Elmo Hope tracks, among others. You can lokk up all the tracks in the Carl Perkins Discography and the Elmo Hope Discography, respectively. All the sessions were made in 1956 and 1957.

The Gambit double CD, btw, is oop and amazon.de sellers ask for ridiculous prices.

Edited by mikeweil

What 3 tracks by the Elmo Hope Quintet were on Pacific Jazz label? What is the Pacific Jazz catalog number?

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Recorded in LA on October 31, 1957 with Stu Williamson (trumpet), Harold Land (tenor saxophone), Elmo Hope (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Frank Butler (drums)

Pacific Jazz PJ33

What 3 tracks by the Elmo Hope Quintet were on Pacific Jazz label? What is the Pacific Jazz catalog number?

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Recorded in LA on October 31, 1957 with Stu Williamson (trumpet), Harold Land (tenor saxophone), Elmo Hope (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Frank Butler (drums)

Pacific Jazz PJ33

Released on one side of an LP with tracks by Blakey's Jazz Messengers (McLean, Hardman group) on the other side.

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Pacific Jazz PJ33

Released on one side of an LP with tracks by Blakey's Jazz Messengers (McLean, Hardman group) on the other side.

Also included on the Blue Note CD "Trio and Quintet".

51PXHHbg8oL.jpg

Edited by Head Man

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Pacific Jazz PJ33

Oops, misspelled Bruyninckx' name.

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Pacific Jazz PJ33

It's easily done....... :)

According to Bruynincx:

Vaun Ex

St. Elmo's Fire

So Nice

Pacific Jazz PJ33

It's easily done....... :)

It is - when you're not Flemish... :)

How about this?

bravo, mjzee... one thing tho' is that photo of Redd is anachronistic for the Dootone set... how about this Redd instead?

Tell Cuscuna to send the check to me. (Font I used: Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold.

Can't(?) include the thumbnail in the quote, but, yes, that is perfect. Just f-ing perfect.

How about this?

Tell Cuscuna to send the check to me. (Font I used: Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold.

Can't(?) include the thumbnail in the quote, but, yes, that is perfect. Just f-ing perfect.

Except... All the Mosaic sleeves I've seen have dark backgrounds to the photos. Surely they can't all have been taken against black backgrounds? But I doubt if they've been photoshopped by MC.

MG